Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cerra on the wing to start seems a bit weird.

Also no Young is bad, given what Hackdorn was claiming. Is this the one thing that he got right?
Listen to the Longmuir interview I posted. Forget KH. Longmuir confirmed Young was into his second week off for a load management issue relating to Quad. They are hoping he will be ready for Marsh Cup #2.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Also Longmuir said last night that Cerra will play on all and wing. He really likes Cerra on the wing. So nothing weird about that.
He made some positive comments about SHill but without directly stating seemed to indicated they would take a cautious approach with him through the preseason.

Looking at the team named I wonder whether Dixon will chop out in the ruck?

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
I always thought of Cerra as someone who'd be inside mid. Interesting to see how it goes.

DeanS

Club Legend
May 16, 2007
Tuart Hill
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth
Also Longmuir said last night that Cerra will play on all and wing. He really likes Cerra on the wing. So nothing weird about that.
He made some positive comments about SHill but without directly stating seemed to indicated they would take a cautious approach with him through the preseason.

Would certainly rather Dixon did it than Taberner (due to his injury history) but the obvious choice is Lobb.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Where Tucker?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Right knee knock picked up intraclub on 14/02/20, see picture below of Tucker on 19/02/20:
DC83D0B9-1C85-4474-95DD-CD881F29994E.jpeg

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle

I s’pose no problem to have a look at him on wing but I have doubts he is best option there.
I don’t see the pace or tank for that spot meself.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

I interpreted what Longmuir said is that they'll rotate Cerra through the wing (when not playing as an inside mid) instead of pushing him to a half back flank etc. I think we'll see the same with Acres - will play inside and outside (probably more inside than normal tomorrow due to who is missing) but both will stay in the midfield. Versatility is great but love JLo's philosophy that they should master one position first.

It was interesting he mentioned Acres, Aish and Bewley along with Cerra as the wings and not McCarthy. Sounds like he'll be played as a half forward tomorrow. I'm expecting Fredericks to play as a half forward as well. Think McCarthy with his new slimmed down body, Sturt and eventually Fredericks could make a big difference to our forward line this year. As will Fyfe and Walters spending more time there if the youngsters can take the step up in the middle.

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Had a meeting in Kwinana so called in to ARC. Did not expect anyone to be training, but a rehab group was just winding down.
Mundy was kicking and moved freely as he jogged off.
Henry and young were jogging a few laps.
The only reason I bothered to post was the way Pearce was moving. I was only there for 10 minutes, but he looked good.
He was doing some movement exercises that would have put stress on his injured ankle ( bumping, twisting while running and kicking over 40m). I know they will have to manage his running, but he moved so smoothly .

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Had a meeting in Kwinana so called in to ARC. Did not expect anyone to be training, but a rehab group was just winding down.
The only reason I bothered to post was the way Pearce was moving. I was only there for 10 minutes, but he looked good.
He was doing some movement exercises that would have put stress on his injured ankle ( bumping, twisting while running and kicking over 40m). I know they will have to manage his running, but he moved so smoothly .
Yeah he looked really good on Monday - was not expecting them to have him doing the things he was doing. Have a feeling he's been working very hard to be a surprise Round 1 inclusion ;) Should temper expectations just in case though.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Were Wilson and Tucker training with the rehab group? Thanks for bothering to post it is very much welcomed from me.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I interpreted what Longmuir said is that they'll rotate Cerra through the wing (when not playing as an inside mid) instead of pushing him to a half back flank etc. I think we'll see the same with Acres - will play inside and outside (probably more inside than normal tomorrow due to who is missing) but both will stay in the midfield. Versatility is great but love JLo's philosophy that they should master one position first.
Given you are suggesting he will be playing 2 positions, the question is, which one position is he going to be the master of first; inside mid, or wing?

I do have questions over his stamina and speed which I am looking forward to seeing answered in the Marsh. I don't think he is slow per se, but speed and stamina on the wing is a requirement and I assume he has shown this in the pre-season for Longmuir to be considering him.

For me he doesn't rate in our top 6 wing options;
Hill, Acres, Aish, Bewley, Tucker, Brayshaw. Would even be considering McCarthy and Hughes before him, plus Frederick and Colyer have had decent pre-seasons. and Sturt seems to have the required qualities.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
I s’pose no problem to have a look at him on wing but I have doubts he is best option there.

Agree re: pace and I also prefer him on ball but his tank isn't that much of an issue imo, I believe he finished 5th or 6th in our last time trial so he's defnitely made gains in that area.

Personally the best wingers have pace, skills and a massive tank. Cerra has one of those three and to me, his best attribute is calmness and time in contested ground balls which is not what traditional wings have to do to much of.

I dont think wing is a position Cerra would thrive in personally but happy to be proven wrong

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Personally the best wingers have pace, skills and a massive tank. Cerra has one of those three and to me, his best attribute is calmness and time in contested ground balls which is not what traditional wings have to do to much of.

I dont think wing is a position Cerra would thrive in personally but happy to be proven wrong

Mitch Robinson "wrote" a terrific column on the role of the wingman.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Bombers did the same with McGrath pick 1. Year 1 Half back
Year 2 to wing
Year 3 to centre

Cerra is one year behind. McGrath will be in the centre bounces this year.
I like players being used in a variety of roles as part of their development. Top tier players especially are able to play a multitude of roles, and for playmakers like McGrath and Cerra it provides a terrific grounding. Those guys have transferable skills and footy smarts to with them.

In context, we have had a small army of posters taking issue with Cerra being played ‘out of position’ in his first 2 seasons and the new coach’s comments being interpreted here as indicating he wants to put players into the roles they played pre draft.

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I kinda aagree but he did surprise once last year in running down Danger I think it was so maybe he is sneaky quick?

Back