Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Just out of interest, have we ever had more than one RS nomination in a year?
In addition to the ones mentioned, Blakely and Weller got RS noms in consecutive weeks from memory

Shilly and Suban in 2009, Palmer and Ibbo in 08, Polak, Schammer and Sandi in 03, Dion Woods and Adam McPhee in 01, Leigh Brown, Pav and Haselby in 00 and 5 in 96 with Daniel Bandy, Greg Harding, Kinglsey Hunter, Luke Toia and Craig Callaghan

Shilly and Suban in 2009, Palmer and Ibbo in 08, Polak, Schammer and Sandi in 03, Dion Woods and Adam McPhee in 01, Leigh Brown, Pav and Haselby in 00 and 5 in 96 with Daniel Bandy, Greg Harding, Kinglsey Hunter, Luke Toia and Craig Callaghan
1996 was the Rising Spud award? 🙄

Some of those blokes were handy, but none were EVER going to be stars. But then I guess we had a team stacked full of future premiership players in 96. Gave these blokes a chance to shine, getting the blockbusters and being under the panel’s noses every week. Stands to reason when you thing about it.

I was dead against his trade but from my view Conca has added a lot to the group. Skill wise he's not flash but I actually think we were really starting to lack in the area of leadership/professionalism, etc.
Conca helped Fyfe win the Brownlow, undoubtedly. He’s a smart player. Limitations but he uses his body to the team’s advantage.
Was a good pick up. Good leadership too. Richmond rated him highly, and coming off a premiership year.

The question is when was the last year we never had a rising star nomination? 2013? Tabs was like the first in more then 2 years I remember at one stage, in 2014. 2011 was Clarke. None in 2012 and 2013.
Great to see the youth flowing in. We relied too much on old crop for a few years

Wait. Did we have one last season? Cerra and Cox was 2018?

Last edited:
1996 was the Rising Spud award? 🙄

Some of those blokes were handy, but none were EVER going to be stars. But then I guess we had a team stacked full of future premiership players in 96. Gave these blokes a chance to shine, getting the blockbusters and being under the panel’s noses every week. Stands to reason when you thing about it.
Yeah I was reading through the lists and was like, is this a fanmade rising star? Guess we got pity votes hey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[QUOTE="FreoRicci, post: 65340518, member: 125182]

Wait. Did we have one last season? Cerra and Cox was 2018?
[/QUOTE]
Wikipedia tells me we had none in 2019.

Yeah I was reading through the lists and was like, is this a fanmade rising star? Guess we got pity votes hey
Craig Callaghan and Bandy were pretty good footy players..especially the former. Toia I didn’t rate but injuries got the better of him. Yeah the other two were pretty meh, but in saying that Hunter kicked a few bags for us and Bulldogs too. Just too wayward.

Anyone able to comment on how Fredericks is going? As much I am bullish about what Cerra, Valente, Serong and Acres can do, they aren't speedy players and I am wondering if we will need his speed at some stage this year.

Anyone able to comment on how Fredericks is going? As much I am bullish about what Cerra, Valente, Serong and Acres can do, they aren't speedy players and I am wondering if we will need his speed at some stage this year.
We really need to focus on adding speed this draft.

Losing Brad, Stephen always injured.

How many true wingers do we have?

Agree with this, I hope our first round pick is a gun wingman with a big tank and great kicking and vision.

May change by the end of the year if Bewley and Acres work out as better than average. Don’t think Frederick will show his real potential for 2 or 3 years.

No, but it was a good sign that he stayed in Perth during the COVID period. He seems determined to make it. The latest training photos show him to have built up nicely especially in the thighs.
I agree that if he can develop his ball winning ability, he’ll be very handy.

IMO three wingers in the traditional sense - Hill, Aish and Freddericks. Maybe Crowden and Giro if I am feeling generous.

Brayshaw can play wing like a traditional winger but I suspect we won't see him playing in that position because his pressure on the ball is influential and growing.

Henry and Sturt are speculatives but I think we will find they bring more to the forward line anyway...

IMO three wingers in the traditional sense - Hill, Aish and Freddericks. Maybe Crowden and Giro if I am feeling generous.

Brayshaw can play wing like a traditional winger but I suspect we won't see him playing in that position because his pressure on the ball is influential and growing.

Henry and Sturt are speculatives but I think we will find they bring more to the forward line anyway...
What position do you see Bewley? Does Pina have potential in that area? Western?

What position do you see Bewley? Does Pina have potential in that area? Western?

Yes fair enough Pina is currently a HBF but could graduate to a wing. Does Bewley have the speed as a winger at AFL level? Not sure on this atm.

Joel Western - I am not sure what his role is at AFL level. Currently plays more rover style atm but also forward at times. Obviously he will be the fastest guy at the club next year if we draft him, but where he plays.

If we are going to cover next years, then Brandon Walker feels like he could easily transition into a winger - tall, fast and skillful.

Depends on the role they play.. if it’s negating other teams best players, sure maybe.

If it’s as game breakers, mmmm maybe not.

Not every player needs to be a game breaker, role players can make other players more effective.

Fyfe acknowledges that in his Brownlow speech.

Its all about balance.
For sure. Team dynamic & balance plays a huge role in a successful squad. Can't just load up on AAA talent across the board. Certainly can't do that with a cap either.

On SM-T835 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back