Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Well said!
If the AFC/Crows players say, “We are aiming to make the Eight“, they are delusional and it is just an indication that we are unwilling to make genuine changes and play the Kids.

If the AFC/Crows players say “It will take some time for us to nail the new game plan and for the Kids to adjust to the pressures of AFL” our senior players are looking for excuses and have a poor culture.

2020 will be a great time to be a Crows Troll!

This is largely rubbish, apart from the true trolls. Most, apart from a handful, will handle losses as long as selection is geared towards an improved future. If we’re carrying out of form Gibbs and/or in form Mackay whilst heading towards anything short of certain top 4, then the coaching group deserves all barrels available. Even your mate deserves selection to a point, but then we need to put his relative experience and continuity behind if he’s not improving. Or we give him a crack down back if a spot opens up.

Nobody cares if kids struggle, a senior player using a new coach as an excuse for poor performance when we’ve never afforded kids anything similar, is a vastly different matter though. End of day, poor team results don’t firewall poor individual performances. Hopefully Nicks isn’t a Pyke type and all players are held equally responsible for on field performance. Play bad, get dropped, regardless of the patience that we will afford the team.

No I said the thing about the youth, but it’s all relative, and should be factored into people’s expectations for this year.

Really if people have even a modicum of reality in their expectations this season then BF should be a rather pleasant place to be.

I’m not holding my breath for that though

I’m happy to finish last if we get a good look at our youth, don’t see Gibbs/Mackay mediocreing their way around for 15 games each and seeing guys like Tex, Talia, Lynch, Sloane or any other experienced player hit the ground under physical duress. If we avoid those obvious non-necessaries, then I’ll be happy regardless of results. Assuming effort us there. Coach gets a pass year 1 automatically, as long as we don’t carry players purely because of continuity and/or experience.

I’m happy to finish last if we get a good look at our youth, don’t see Gibbs/Mackay mediocreing their way around for 15 games each and seeing guys like Tex, Talia, Lynch, Sloane or any other experienced player hit the ground under physical duress. If we avoid those obvious non-necessaries, then I’ll be happy regardless of results. Assuming effort us there. Coach gets a pass year 1 automatically, as long as we don’t carry players purely because of continuity and/or experience.

Agree with this, though I'd add I want to see the football department beefed up at year's end. No more of this "oh there was no one decent available" rubbish. Start the search now (if it hasn't begun already).

All of Macrae, Hopper, Hunter and the Crouich brothers are not dissimilar in game style I wouldn't have thought.
Hopper - no. Sloane-like pure contested player.

Hunter - no. Gaff-like pure outside receiver.

Macrae - similar in game style but it makes sense because he uses the ball. Significantly more contested possessions and better disposal efficiency.

Best comparison - Tim Taranto. His stats line up pretty closely with Brad's. And another one where I am baffled why his team has a game plan to feed him uncontested possessions considering he doesn't use the ball particularly well.

For the record - I am completely fine with Matt being an 'inside receiver'. I think he makes good decisions, rarely wastes it, usually finds someone in a better position, etc.

But I think Brad's ratio of contested/uncontested should be more like Sloane's (and Hopper's) for him to be at his most valuable. Which it was in 2017 by the way. It went too far towards uncontested possessions in 2019 and seems to have continued that way in pre season 2020. When we really need him to win contests given the departure of CEY and Greenwood.

Footywire stats from 2019.

Contested possessionsUncontested possessionsDisposal efficiencyMetres gained
Hopper14.012.262%317
Sloane13.111.970%329
Macrae13.520.175%352
Matt11.321.070%312
Brad11.217.664%380
Taranto11.116.360%392
Hunter6.220.177%408

Well said!
If the AFC/Crows players say, “We are aiming to make the Eight“, they are delusional and it is just an indication that we are unwilling to make genuine changes and play the Kids.

If the AFC/Crows players say “It will take some time for us to nail the new game plan and for the Kids to adjust to the pressures of AFL” our senior players are looking for excuses and have a poor culture.

2020 will be a great time to be a Crows Troll!
Everyone will have a different criticism, but I would like to see:

Rhetoric is positive. No excuses, we approach every game to win. Our young players won't learn anything if they aren't playing to win.

Actions are realistic. Gibbs is already delisted, Mackay and Hartigan are in the SANFL, McAsey and Hamill are in the AFL.

On the actions front I am relatively comfortable pending upcoming selections. Big list changes at the end of 2019. Not precisely how I would have done it but fairly close. And draftees are all clearly projects rather than win-now picks.

On the rhetoric front, I hate hearing excuses. Don't make excuses. Each team has their own challenges. I think the mentality of "it just went against us, we couldn't do anything about it" has been around our club for a long time, and it's toxic. Blight made our footy club an excuse free zone for 2.5 years, those were the days.

But what really counts will be what happens on the field. When things start going against us, do we quit or do we persevere?

100%

Agree with this, though I'd add I want to see the football department beefed up at year's end. No more of this "oh there was no one decent available" rubbish. Start the search now (if it hasn't begun already).
It wouldn't surprise me if the football department had to wait a year to free up some money (due to firings). So next year could well be that time to beef it up!

Yes to a point.

Finishing last is rarely the best way to rebuild a list and develop a quality culture. I mean even this year you've seen lower sides grab experienced recruits in order to help the youngsters.

I'm happy to go flat out provided the matchday squads reflect our current situation. If we finish low then so be it, but under no circumstances do i want to finish bottom.

It wouldn't surprise me if the football department had to wait a year to free up some money (due to firings). So next year could well be that time to beef it up!

Not acceptable. Do it this year and pay the tax if we have to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone watch the live stream of training?

What I took from it was
Gallucci, Gollant, Crocker, McHenry trained with the forwards
Frampton, Keays, Poholke, Jones, O'Connor, Schoenberg trained with mids/ruck
didn't get to see the defensive group

Nicks was talking to the whole midfield group about tagging, there was no sound so I wasn't sure if he was talking about what to do if one of our players is being tagged or how to do it, he looked to specifically be talking to Atkins and Jones about it at times.

Fog loves his bucket hat

They interviewed Kelly, Tex and Gollant about how they're feeling about what's going on around the world and what they're doing to prepare for round 1, it was cliche city, media trained the s**t out of their answers.

I hope O'Connor and Gollant make the grade. Hamish seems to be very good at picking up talent late in the draft. (not sold on his first round picks though)

I hope O'Connor and Gollant make the grade. Hamish seems to be very good at picking up talent late in the draft. (not sold on his first round picks though)
His 1st round record is a lot better than James Fantasia's. 2016 is looking like a write-off, but other than that he hasn't had any complete failures. Lever left, but his talent definitely justified his selection. Jones & McAsey haven't had long enough yet to be fairly judged.

Ill judge him(Hamish) on his high end picks rather than speculative picks. Id also compare his picks to those recruiters around him. Id say he is behind some although the club traded away a few early picks during his time. Id say the jury is out atm.

Ill judge him(Hamish) on his high end picks rather than speculative picks. Id also compare his picks to those recruiters around him. Id say he is behind some although the club traded away a few early picks during his time. Id say the jury is out atm.
Really ??

Id say hes don incredibly well given the hand hes dealt.

I'll judge him on the overall calibre of the players he picks, their pick number is irrelevant, it's all down to their on field performance across their AFL career as far as I'm concerned

Look at the difference a few preseasons does even 1 preseason and Gallant put on 7kg

I had a careful look at that section with tex and gollant because you can see even on the pic gollant looks taller than tex, but I thought maybe its the angle. Then as they're walking away you get the angle change a bit. If gollant (listed at 191) isn't taller than tex (listed at 194) i'd be bloody surprised.

EDIT - its actually not on the video here, its on the other live training long vid where you can see them walk off. We might have got an athletic CHF type rather than a tall mid if he gets any taller and can put on the kilos.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back