Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Our coaching group is settled.

We are just waiting to announce the lack of changes bar Campo

My guess is they say nothing and let it just fade into the sunset.

Worth a look, like the way he goes about it and has pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He's one I've been quite keen on us putting on the list after watching him this year. Has some of that speed we need. A fast left footer on the wing? Bye Bye Atkins.

What time do the young lads train today? yet to see anything about it on Twitter
Just read where they report to the club today but will be having a running/training session tomorrow, rest of the squad join them on monday.

Probably getting the once over today by the medical/physio guys.....and getting their skin folds measured no doubt. :eek:

Also in the story Tex has dropped a stack of weight and wants to play further up the ground..o_O

Reckon some of the other forward would love to get on the end of some of Tex's daisy cutters.

Could Walker do a Richo? Trim Tex targets shock position switch

I thought training wasn't until after 1:30 pm.

Tex also said that ROB is looking 'scary fit'. I really hope the boys come back in great shape and ready to go.
According to Gaskin's article they train tomorrow?

"Adelaide's first-to-fourth-year players have reported to the club on Wednesday, and will have their first running and skills session on Thursday."

"They will be joined by the rest of the squad next Monday."

According to Gaskin's article they train tomorrow?

"Adelaide's first-to-fourth-year players have reported to the club on Wednesday, and will have their first running and skills session on Thursday."

"They will be joined by the rest of the squad next Monday."

Wednesday is today

Considering the profile of our list it makes sense for Tex to drop some Kgs and allow Fog to become the focal point of the forward line. Tex always seems better suited to play the 3rd tall style game or the Jack Gunston role as people seem call it. Would be nice if some of that agility came back to him without being so top heavy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reports that Tex has lost a stack of weight this offseason is music to my ears. Even last year he still looked 5-10kg overweight to me, and I think he was 5+ Kg lighter then 2018.

He needs a career year to rejuvenate himself, and getting back to the 95kg mark should be the starting point (same weight as Jack Riewoldt).

Get some of the explosion back in his game that’s been missing for so long

The reports that Tex has lost a stack of weight this offseason is music to my ears. Even last year he still looked 5-10kg overweight to me, and I think he was 5+ Kg lighter then 2018.

He needs a career year to rejuvenate himself, and getting back to the 95kg mark should be the starting point (same weight as Jack Riewoldt).

Not to mention a weight loss for Tex would lessen the chance of anymore foot injuries that plagued him in 2018, and possibly niggles in 2019.

Yep, I’ve been harping on for years about this. He just doesn’t play like a Tom Hawkins/Jonathon Brown where being 105kg is beneficial. He’s naturally strong and aerobically quite fit, adding weight just slowed him down and made it harder for him to exploit his natural fitness.

I don’t know about him playing on the wing though, if someone’s to move up the ground to do this, it’d be Tom Lynch. However I would like to see us use Fog and Frampton as our big bodied targets, both strong and are more naturally physical players. Allows Tex to play his more natural flanker role.

I don’t know about him playing on the wing though

I couldn't imagine him having the ability to play a whole game on the wing, but putting him there in bursts (especially if he drops a few more kgs and gets that mobility back) could be a pretty lethal weapon at times. I like the idea of at least giving it a shot

Yep, I’ve been harping on for years about this. He just doesn’t play like a Tom Hawkins/Jonathon Brown where being 105kg is beneficial. He’s naturally strong and aerobically quite fit, adding weight just slowed him down and made it harder for him to exploit his natural fitness.

I don’t know about him playing on the wing though, if someone’s to move up the ground to do this, it’d be Tom Lynch. However I would like to see us use Fog and Frampton as our big bodied targets, both strong and are more naturally physical players. Allows Tex to play his more natural flanker role.
Correct, and even Hawkins realised he couldn’t carry that weight about 3 years ago and dropped almost 10kg from his frame. Modern footy doesn’t allow slow, low mobility forwards anymore. Too many defensive structures are in place that have made his type of forward ineffectual past 1-1.5goals/ game.

Tex at his best was an explosive short burst athlete who jumped at the ball and hit anything in his way. Somewhere along the way someone convinced him that being bulkier would help him crash packs, but if anything it made him unable to get to the pack in time and/or too heavy to jump through it.

Not to mention a weight loss for Tex would lessen the chance of anymore foot injuries that plagued him in 2018, and possibly niggles in 2019.
As a 6’2” bloke myself, I can say with great authority that carrying 105kg is a huge amount of weight. I let myself blow out to that weight after I stopped playing footy at the highest level I reached.

Came back to it for a country club a few years later at that weight and got injury after injury after injury. Went away again and came back to 92kg and haven’t had an injury in 2 years.

There is something about that weight range that shot nearly all my leg and back muscles and joints to high hell.

Agreed , he has definitely been 3-5 Kegs over what he should be considering his foot issues and the fact he is better moving around the forward 50 .
If he can maintain this drop as well as being free from the captaincy pressure i foresee a big 2020 for the Big Texan .
His back half of 2019 was good .

I couldn't imagine him having the ability to play a whole game on the wing, but putting him there in bursts (especially if he drops a few more kgs and gets that mobility back) could be a pretty lethal weapon at times. I like the idea of at least giving it a shot
Hopefully Tom Lynch has done the same and dropped a few ... we will need one of them at all times to be up the ground as a high half forward to wing connector . Lynch should be a little further up the ground but if both can get on their bikes at different times it gives our forward line a much more dynamic and versatile structure . Fogarty with room to lead into , Frampton to run and jump at it and the crumbing smalls a chance to hit the contest at pace and in space

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back