Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Scorpus showed the wins were against poor opposition, I'm merely stating our loss against Port showed how far we had fallen since the first time.

Staggering that they continued to dribble out the "we're still in the top 8" line for weeks after that.

That was some memorable head-in-the-sand stuff.

Sidthehat

All Australian
Oct 7, 2017
London
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think his injury did affect us and if he stayed fit and had him and Greenwood in there all year we might have been able to sneak into 8 by playing the most turgid football imaginable. Would have gotten us nowhere once there though and losing them (much as loved Greenwood) is better to raise ceiling going forward.

I think his injury did affect us and if he stayed fit and had him and Greenwood in there all year we might have been able to sneak into 8 by playing the most turgid football imaginable. Would have gotten us nowhere once there though and losing them (much as loved Greenwood) is better to raise ceiling going forward.

What needs to happen is Matt needs to go back to playing that role.

He did it in 2017 and was AA. A bloke with an identical skillset then won the Brownlow in 2018.

For some reason though, Matt reverted to playing the Gibbs role in 2019. Still got lots of disposals but his contested possessions, clearances, tackles - all the basic indicators of an inside mid, turned to s**t. He shouldn't be playing that way, and his coaches should have called him out on it. We've got Smith, Seed, Milera, Atkins, Laird, etc who can rack up the uncontested ball.

Surprised more wasn't said about Matt's form this year. He's a much better player than what he dished up.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

He did it in 2017 and was AA. A bloke with an identical skillset then won the Brownlow in 2018.

For some reason though, Matt reverted to playing the Gibbs role in 2019. Still got lots of disposals but his contested possessions, clearances, tackles - all the basic indicators of an inside mid, turned to s**t. He shouldn't be playing that way, and his coaches should have called him out on it. We've got Smith, Seed, Milera, Atkins, Laird, etc who can rack up the uncontested ball.

Surprised more wasn't said about Matt's form this year. He's a much better player than what he dished up.
Player or coaching?

Guess we will see now without cey and hugh

Jack McKraken

All Australian
Jan 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

One of the most frustrating things last year was seeing Matt continually on the end of our handball chains

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
One of the most frustrating things last year was seeing Matt continually on the end of our handball chains
We brought Gibbs in to be that guy, didn't work out.

I think we will see Gibbs go to half back and see more.or Smith and Milera through the mids.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I honestly think CEY did a lot of good things this year. He was also a big-bodied presence that we sort of lacked (Crouch Bros and Sloane are relatively small compared to other main first-3- picked midfielders from other teams).

Hoping Gibbs will regain his form in 2020 and can play some midfield again. Also hoping to see Milera to step it up in the midfield where he belongs - silky skills and decent pace. Jones and Ned looks to have pace, but probably 1-2 years away from a fully matured body to properly compete against the big boys.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
B642E5F0-2AFD-400F-8DC9-B9D4776C2A17.png

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Contributed yes, but in no way were we winning many if any games with him. We were killed off HF, he doesn't prevent that.

Speed of ball movement is our Achilles heel.
On this occasion I think your being a bit one dimensional.

In and of himself, I agree that Cam wasn’t necessarily a prime mover. What he did do very well was play the inside Role - with strength and quick hands.

His bullocking did a lot to help our other Mids and once he was gone there was a hole they had to fill.

Put more simply it upset what had been to that point a pretty good balance.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
What did he initially do to hurt his back in the first place? Was it an ingame incident or has it just been something that popped up that he hasn't been able to shake off?

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Car accident I think
Only reported neck soreness and concussion symptoms from the rear ender he was involved in, was passed fit to play the next week by the medicos but the club didn't play him as a precautionary measure considering he'd suffered a concussion the week before in the SANFL. The back injury came after that when he was involved in a tackling drill at training.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Only reported neck soreness and concussion symptoms from the rear ender he was involved in, was passed fit to play the next week by the medicos but the club didn't play him as a precautionary measure considering he'd suffered a concussion the week before in the SANFL. The back injury came after that when he was involved in a tackling drill at training.

Bit of a concern that it’s still limiting him. Especially seeing as though he played out the last part of the year. Would have preferred he be in the rehab group then, not at the beginning of our 2020 preparation.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Bit of a concern that it’s still limiting him. Especially seeing as though he played out the last part of the year. Would have preferred he be in the rehab group then, not at the beginning of our 2020 preparation.
Start of the pre-season, probably no need to set him out full throttle in the first week or two, given the issues it caused previously.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Remember the comment made by Nicks re Needing to Hold some of the players back from overtraining, then go back and remember that McHenry was bored one day and went on a 40km plus run.
I would say McHenry is one of those Kids you hold back.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Start of the pre-season, probably no need to set him out full throttle in the first week or two, given the issues it caused previously.

It suggests to me that he played with it at end of last year. So he was ok to play, but can’t take part in full preseason running. Makes no sense to me at all. Unless he re-tweaked it during his time off.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Remember the comment made by Nicks re Needing to Hold some of the players back from overtraining, then go back and remember that McHenry was bored one day and went on a 40km plus run.
I would say McHenry is one of those Kids you hold back.

So why say he’s on restricted training due to his back? Are you saying that his back isn’t actually a problem?

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
So why say he’s on restricted training due to his back? Are you saying that his back isn’t actually a problem?
No I am saying he the type of person that would have gone overboard during the offseason and may have re-aggravated his back,
Pounding the concrete is one way of doing this. So they place him on a modified program. His back may feel fine but they may have noticed something in the return to training medicals.
Who knows End of the Day, McHenry could be one of those players who needs to held back.

Back