Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

For a reason!

Pre-draft Slimming was an athletic freak. Didn't get drafted though (he was a bit of a tool).
Rischbieth was drafted by Port and I'm pretty sure he won the running in preseason (or close to it). Never played a game though.
My memory of Slimming was he wasn't too keen on the contested stuff or do I have him mixed up with someone else or is that the guy?

Is there a relative age effect in AFL?

Would more players get drafted each year who have a Jan-Mar birthday as opposed to an Oct-Dec one?
My memory for exact figures isn’t spot on, but I read a few years back that the majority of brownlow winners were born in the first 4 months of the year.

The general consensus in sports is if you’re born earlier in the year you’re more physically developed at the very young ages so you get selected for the rep squads/state squads etc and get better training and development from that. So that then snowballs and you keep getting more and more training and development than the guys 6 months younger than you. Pretty interesting stuff.

My memory for exact figures isn’t spot on, but I read a few years back that the majority of brownlow winners were born in the first 4 months of the year.

The general consensus in sports is if you’re born earlier in the year you’re more physically developed at the very young ages so you get selected for the rep squads/state squads etc and get better training and development from that. So that then snowballs and you keep getting more and more training and development than the guys 6 months younger than you. Pretty interesting stuff.
Is that a quote from "Footballistics"? I swear I read those very same words, or something very similar, a couple of months ago.

All the numbers for 2020

No.1 - Chayce Jones (From No.20)
No.2 - Brad Crouch
No.3 - Riley Knight
No.4 - Lachlan Murphy (From No.44)
No.5 - Matt Crouch
No.6 - Bryce Gibbs
No.7 - Jordan Gallucci
No.8 - Jake Kelly
No.9 - Rory Sloane
No.10 - Myles Poholke
No.11 - Paul Seedsman
No.12 - Daniel Talia
No.13 - Taylor Walker
No.14 - David Mackay
No.15 - Kyle Hartigan
No.16 - Luke Brown
No.17 - Will Hamill (From No.35)
No.18 - Tyson Stengle (From No.17)
No.20 - Ben Crocker

No.21 - Rory Atkins
No.22 - Billy Frampton
No.23 - Shane McAdam
No.24 - Josh Worrell
No.25 - Ned McHenry
No.26 - Harry Schoenberg
No.27 - Tom Lynch
No.28 - Ben Keays
No.29 - Rory Laird
No.30 - Wayne Milera Junior
No.31 - Patrick Wilson
No.32 - Darcy Fogarty
No.33 - Brodie Smith
No.34 - Elliott Himmelberg
No.35 - Fisher McAsey
No.36 - Andrew McPherson
No.37 - Ronin O’Connor
No.38 - Lachlan Sholl
No.39 - Tom Doedee
No.40 - Ben Davis
No.41 - Jordan Butts
No.43 - Reilly O’Brien
No.44 - Lachlan Gollant
No.45 - Kieran Strachan
Was Lachie Murphy's selection by choice? 😳

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was the question? Why weren't you getting a game at Collingwood? Hardly gutter journo.
It's a more interesting question than 'what do you think of the city', 'are you hoping to play some games this year', 'have you met some of the boys'
“Why didn’t it work at your respective former clubs for the both of you?? “

You can clearly see the question caught them both off guard because of the awkward way it had to be answered.
As it wasn’t a direct question to either player they had to work out who was to lead off with an answer that was really only their interpretation of why their former clubs moved them on. Really why should these guys have to speak for Collingwood and the Lions to explain something that really has no bearing on why they were both picked up.
Maybe a less dick question would have been....Do you think you have learned from your first experience of the AFL and is there any areas of your game that you will be looking at to take the next step??

“Why didn’t it work at your respective former clubs for the both of you?? “

You can clearly see the question caught them both off guard because of the awkward way it had to be answered.
As it wasn’t a direct question to either player they had to work out who was to lead off with an answer that was really only their interpretation of why their former clubs moved them on. Really why should these guys have to speak for Collingwood and the Lions to explain something that really has no bearing on why they were both picked up.
Maybe a less dick question would have been....Do you think you have learned from your first experience of the AFL and is there any areas of your game that you will be looking at to take the next step??
I agree. I’ve stated on many occasions that our media department should have had the bullet put through them
Review wise
The Pyke and Burton presser was an absolute disaster

Nothing has changed
It’s all totally unprofessional and lacks the concept of fan engagement

I’d like Smithers to do some interviews or Knarlin Ned without conservative edits

I recall reading something a couple of years ago

Your chance to be selected in under age squads, get drafted, much better if you were born earlier in the year

As careers progressed it dropped away as a factor, so had no effect on your likelihood to play 200 games

Link: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-28/born-to-be-a-star

Last edited:
I recall reading something a couple of years ago

Your chance to be selected in under age squads, get drafted, much better if you were born earlier in the year

As careers progressed it dropped away as a factor, so had no effect on your likelihood to play 200 games

Link: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-28/born-to-be-a-star
Ah that’s probably what I was reading! As I said I couldn’t remember the exact numbers. Looks like I confused the drafting ages and the brownlow stuff 🤷🏻‍♂️

That you’ll quote ratings for Trade Radio and use that to claim people are listening to SEN Adelaide
Nah done that ....obviously you're looking for a new adversary, and I'd be happy to oblige ....if you presented a challenge

Nah done that ....obviously you're looking for a new adversary, and I'd be happy to oblige ....if you presented a challenge
You’re a new adversary?

Come on Wayne, you know you’re no match. The fact you even did try and pass off Trade Radio ratings as proof people are listening to SEN Adelaide, says it all.

Good too see you admitted it this time rather than slinked away like you did when I picked you up on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back