Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll still be surprised if he ever plays a game due to injury

Odds are against given he’s had close to 4 yrs with injury
Yes, I have my doubts too, but took the opportunity to find out from the horse mouth. Simon isn't one to bullshit.

Was good to see him wearing his Crows lanyard as an ex--Port supporter too.

I’ll still be surprised if he ever plays a game due to injury

Fingers crossed we can manage him with our extensive experience dealing with Brad. Both are seemingly cursed with poor genetics, but Brad has shown a full year of AFL is possible despite a ridiculous amount of recurrences in the past.

Yes, I have my doubts too, but took the opportunity to find out from the horse mouth. Simon isn't one to bullshit.

Was good to see him wearing his Crows lanyard as an ex--Port supporter too.
The horses mouth would be more the medicos dealing with McPherson. There’s “fit” and then there’s “fit to play regular AFL”. The jury is still out on the latter criteria.

The horses mouth would be more the medicos dealing with McPherson. There’s “fit” and then there’s “fit to play regular AFL”. The jury is still out on the latter criteria.
Lol, you don't think his Dad who is a footy nut would know.

Look he could breakdown again tomorrow, but for now he is injury free. Let's hope he gets more luck.

If Ten Goal Tommy has a clean pre-season he’s a top 10 player for us.

Only worry is that he might be breaking down with injuries. I think that’s unlikely.

Look he could breakdown again tomorrow, but for now he is injury free. Let's hope he gets more luck.
:thumbsu:
Haha, Dr. John Who the all seeing, all knowing expert Google exponent.

:thumbsu:
Haha, Dr. John Who the all seeing, all knowing expert Google exponent.
Yes, the irony was not lost on me.

Apparently Google is more accurate than speaking directly to the person in the know lol.

I'm not sure how his dad being a footy nut has any relevance to the point I was making, which was:
Is he fit enough to play regular AFL games?

We've already seen clips of McPherson doing some training drills this preseason, so we already know he's fit enough to do running and drills. His dad saying that he's "fit" doesn't add any further weight on whether he can play at AFL level or not.

What's Google got anything to do the recent dialogues? Do you think the basic Crows fans would have 100% confidence just seeing McPherson doing training drills and that his dad says he's "fit"?
Fit could mean free of injury and able to complete the training. If that’s the case and given he’s been in the system for a couple of years, that would translate to being fit enough to play AFL.

Fit could mean free of injury and able to complete the training. If that’s the case and given he’s been in the system for a couple of years, that would translate to being fit enough to play AFL.
I guess to put it bluntly, I want him to string enough quality SANFL games before I'm convinced he's "fit" for AFL. In fact, I would be impressed if he can string 10 SANFL games in a row, as I don't even think he's done that in these last 2 years.

I’ll still be surprised if McPherson ever plays a game due to injury

To be fair, it is only three years :rolleyes:.

He was travelling beautifully until the 2017 season. He ripped his quad and later did a hammy restricting him to only a handful of games for the Eagles, mostly in the ressies. When we drafted him at the end of 2017 the AFC indicated that it may take twelve months to get his body AFL ready. He hardly participated in the 2018 pre-season but had his contract extended until the end of 2021 prior to his SANFL debut.

He debuted in the SANFL in early June 2018 and looked great. In his third match he jagged his hammy and this apparently led to problems with his groin and that was the last we saw of him in 2018.

He had a very limited 2019 pre-season but played in Round one of the SANFL and looked fantastic. Unfortunately he did his hammy in round 2 against Glenelg. He returned in Round 7 and player the next 7 games before a second hamstring injury finished his season.

I guess it’s a positive that he tripled his games in 2019 but every time he does a hammy he seems to have further complications. A “ managed” pre-season is a hell of a lot better than his first two pre-seasons with the Crows.

Yes, his injury history makes him a long shot to become a regular in the AFL but stranger things have happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's Google got anything to do the recent dialogues? Do you think the basic Crows fans would have 100% confidence just seeing McPherson doing training drills and that his dad says he's "fit"?
Agree, I think it’s fair to be skeptical. You would expect a Dad to be optimistic about his son.

Even with some skepticism, McPherson being fit enough to train consistency is great news to hear. That’s better news than we normally get about him.

ADELAIDE

The Crows have spent plenty of time on the training track under the watchful eye of new senior coach Matthew Nicks. Quick ball movement by foot and applying pressure to win back possession have been features of training, with the mouthguards having already made an appearance during match simulation.

Injury list

Tom Doedee:
The defender is ticking every box in his return from a torn ACL suffered in round one. He's back in the main group, will integrate into full contact drills and is aiming to play in at least one game of the Marsh Community Series.

Shane McAdam: Was on a modified program after having calf and hamstring issues this year but is now back in the main group and completing full training.

Ned McHenry: Was eased into the pre-season but has increased training significantly in recent weeks and is back among the main group. Finished second in the Crows' 2km time trial in November.

Andrew McPherson: Another who the Crows have taken a cautious approach with given his injury history. McPherson has ramped up his training loads in recent weeks.

Christmas Break
The Crows had their last day of training on Thursday, December 19, with the squad returning to pre-season training after the Christmas break on Friday, January 10.

Marsh Community Series
Saturday, February 22 v Melbourne @ Casey Fields
Friday, March 6 v Gold Coast @ Hickinbotham Oval, Noarlunga

And another thing…
Veteran Bryce Gibbs looks to be stationed across half-back next year. Gibbs – who was in and out of the side in 2019 - has played in defence during match simulation at training over the pre-season, with the Crows keen to use his elite foot skills out of the back half of the ground. – Lee Gaskin

To be fair, it is only three years :rolleyes:.

He was travelling beautifully until the 2017 season. He ripped his quad and later did a hammy restricting him to only a handful of games for the Eagles, mostly in the ressies. When we drafted him at the end of 2017 the AFC indicated that it may take twelve months to get his body AFL ready. He hardly participated in the 2018 pre-season but had his contract extended until the end of 2021 prior to his SANFL debut.

He debuted in the SANFL in early June 2018 and looked great. In his third match he jagged his hammy and this apparently led to problems with his groin and that was the last we saw of him in 2018.

He had a very limited 2019 pre-season but played in Round one of the SANFL and looked fantastic. Unfortunately he did his hammy in round 2 against Glenelg. He returned in Round 7 and player the next 7 games before a second hamstring injury finished his season.

I guess it’s a positive that he tripled his games in 2019 but every time he does a hammy he seems to have further complications. A “ managed” pre-season is a hell of a lot better than his first two pre-seasons with the Crows.

Yes, his injury history makes him a long shot to become a regular in the AFL but stranger things have happened.
This doesn't make good reading

This doesn't make good reading
Almost a carbon copy of BCrouch resume in his first few years (the amount of mishaps/recurrent injuries). Fingers crossed he comes good just like BCrouch 2017/2019.

Honestly, all this chat on McPherson makes me really hope to see him play AFL next season at least for 1 game. He’s been nothing but a tease so far. But good luck to him for the remainder of preseason!

That would simply make him a list clogger .... in that case, delist and rookie him

But they’ve gambled on McPherson overcoming his injury concerns

Both are true. We retained McPherson due to rating his talent level, despite his injuries; however, due to those injuries, there is no way he would be on a cent more than the minimum we are required to pay.

That would simply make him a list clogger .... in that case, delist and rookie him

But they’ve gambled on McPherson overcoming his injury concerns
A low cost gamble on a young and talented player. Its not like we're rolling the dice on a 30 something year old Brett Deledio.

I agree, but you sign him assuming he will on a longer contract at lower $ value.

Good security for him, good for the TPP

Would have been 3 years at base pay as a guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back