Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, I was posturing back then. Like anytime someone has said "send them to the PSD" and then realised that's just stupid.

We all get very excited during trade discussions. Then the reality sinks in.

If you look back at my posts, you can see multiple times in threads when I've said Keath isn't good one-on-one. That hasn't changed, nor has the fact he was playing Doedee's position, nor has the fact he's 28 coming off a stress fracture and multiple injuries over many years, or the fact WB offered him the $$$ he wanted and seemingly no one else did.

I always thought we were better off trading him. I wanted more as any supporter would and was frustrated, but a 2nd round seems like what the market has set

Oh, and I have Elite Crow blocked for a good reason - he will turn everything into club incompetence, because he's a toxic personality. I don't want to see anything he posts.
How do I know you are not posturing now, given you provide inconsistent posts... ;)

You should stop with the bolded bit. as the criticism of Keath, one on one ability has been around for a while.
Most of the discussions about Keath in recent times were about the position he played and how the Crows can cover that position, and if he was worth more than a 2-year contract. in the Current Crows squad.
Keath played for the Crows as an Intercept Defender. he made the AFL teams of the week as an Intercept Defender.
Yet you and others seem to assume he would have been the Crows 2nd tall defender in 2020 if he stayed. A position he rarely played.
Keath Struggled when he played as the 2nd tall Defender his One on One was his weakness, but as a 3rd tall his intercept play was very good.
However, as much as he will be missed that 3rd intercept defender role was one of more easier role to replace in the Crows side. Our problem is the 2nd tall defender slot, as we only had Talia and Hartigan as the shutdown, tall defenders,

Don't care about the trade or if it was value or not. The simple fact is the Crows lost all bargaining power when Keath had surgery on his ankle,
But that another story. this story about 3 x 28-year tall defender, stopping the kid from getting games while we are rebuilding.
So once again as soon as they realise this was a rebuilding year something had to give, And I would rather see McAsey or Butts play ahead of Keath in 2020,
And Keath will go OK in 2020 if he stays on the park and plays the intercept role, but don't expect him to be a full back type player.
Lol, you should have stopped posting than one of our gun players from last season won't be badly missed.

Claiming McAsey will play most of the season or Butts will have more output than Keath. I doubt McAsey will play much of the season, which is typical for a 1st year KPP.

You post some serious diarrhea!

Again a fallacy .....propogated by the media in the name of negotiating .....all clubs use whatever mechanism they can to get a better deal

I also disagree with this one on one rubbish ......he was good enough to be offered another Contract, and Hamish was very disappointed Keath didn't accept the 2 years & fight for another 2

IMO no contest ..... Keath >>>>>>>>>>> Hartigan one on one
Even I would concede Hartigan is better 1 on 1 than Keath, but Keath is streets ahead of the 2... because he avoids 1 on 1 contests by beating his opponent to the ball.

Talking to the wrong person then. Because I want McAsey, Butts and Worrel to get games this year.
Lol, Worrall I doubt will be ready to play AFL. May get a taste but a good season away.

How do I know you are not posturing now, given you provide inconsistent posts... ;)
He’s really opened up a can of worms for himself with this one. I’m going to need you to keep reminding him of it ;)

Ask him if he can change his name to The Posturer

Hartigan shits all over Keath one-on-one. That's not Hartigan's problem - it's a skill issue by foot (or maybe between his ears).
Unfortunately Hartigan is a dumb footballer... but we just traded our smart CHB...

McAsey only from what I have seen on the Box can handle himself in the one on one key defender role and in Intercept role bit like a young Talia but with more Pace,
Lol, you talk up an unproven McAsey & talk down a proven Keath.

I know which player will have far more impact over the next few years!

No he did not he rarely played a full game as a key defensive defender and when he did he was beaten. most games there was Talia and Hartigan in the side with him.
As for AA maybe he gets the Rance role.

Reckon he’ll be a fair bit stronger this season. Strength is important in one on one battles with key forwards.

Lol, you should have stopped posting than one of our gun players from last season won't be badly missed.

Claiming McAsey will play most of the season or Butts will have more output than Keath. I doubt McAsey will play much of the season, which is typical for a 1st year KPP.

Never said McAsey or Butts will have more output in 2020, But we need them to play we need younger KPD getting game time not 28-year-old getting game time in a Side that rebuilding for a push in a few years.
Keath is an Intercept Defender he will get touches and he will look good but he ain't no Talia. and he was never going to be Talia.
What so hard in getting games into McAsey and Butts in preparation for when Talia retires in 3+ years,
Way your talking you wanted us to Keep Talia and Keath together until they retire leaving us with a bigger hole to fill.
s**t we are rebuilding let's attempt to get a young KPD and a young KPF to play most games this year. in prep for the future.

Lol, Worrall I doubt will be ready to play AFL. May get a taste but a good season away.
I agree But I would prefer him to get a game or 2 in a rebuilding year.

Lol, you talk up an unproven McAsey & talk down a proven Keath.

I know which player will have far more impact over the next few years!
I talk Up McAsey because he out there training for the Crows, We don't have Keath,
and I believe he will be the better player by career end.
Who do you want Keath or McAsey
I know who I want to play in 2020.

Reckon he’ll be a fair bit stronger this season. Strength is important in one on one battles with key forwards.
He Maybe stronger but he still needs to join his team on the training track.
End of the Day he, not a Crow,
I want to see McAsey, Butts and Worrel play. see what they have, See if they are our future. and the best time is when Talia still has something to offer playing next to them.
Because we need two decent Tall KPD to cover us in 2-3 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not expecting either to decline but if I had to pick one of them it would be tex. he's already pretty slow.

I thought Tex’s last couple of games looked promising. Led well, jumped at the ball and moved much better in his last couple of games.

I'm hoping we try McAsey up forward
We need too get someone up forward that can take a contested mark. ROB and an unproven McAsey seem to be our best contested marks in the team.
I feel ROB will rest up forward while Berg or Hampton are in the ruck. I also feel Sloane will rest more up forward who can also take a mark or two. I would also like to see McAsey swing up forward to see what he can do aerially.

Ben King, Fogarty, Blakley, Lukosius, Naughton.

Carey closely followed by Gibbs.
Carey by far the worse. He had been out of footy for 12 months and had bad shoulders where he could no longer mark above his head. We did amazing trade work to get pick 4 for Johnson which later became pick 2. Rather than on trade it for Carey we should have said bugger it lets keep it.

We need too get someone up forward that can take a contested mark. ROB and an unproven McAsey seem to be our best contested marks in the team.
I feel ROB will rest up forward while Berg or Hampton are in the ruck. I also feel Sloane will rest more up forward who can also take a mark or two. I would also like to see McAsey swing up forward to see what he can do aerially.
So if Frampton / Berg are up forward, what does your forward line look like? Fog, Tex, Lynch, Berg/Fampton, Neddy, Stengle -> it just looks too slow for me

So if Frampton / Berg are up forward, what does your forward line look like? Fog, Tex, Lynch, Berg/Frampton, Neddy, Stengle -> it just looks too slow for me
Not really, most of talls will play 80% game times, meaning there will be one of Fog, Tex, Lynch, Berg/Frampton, ROB on the bench.
Most time we will only have 3 talls in the Forward line and sometimes 2. With Lynch and Walker spending time up the field while some of the mids drop back.
We need Berg/Frampton as ROB will struggle if forced to play 90% game time for 22 games. If we want him to compete when the ball hits the ground then we to be looking at his game time and resting him more.
My tip is it will be Frampton as he is the better Ruck and most likely one of the best-contested Marks at the club.

Are in the minority!
Other than Max King (ACL), they are the only top 10 KPPs picked in the last 3 years

All the top 10 picks below have averaged 11 games in their first year (taking out M King with the ACL)

Lukosius – 21 games
M King – 0 (ACL)
B King - 14
Blakey – 21

Naughton - 18

Logue - 13

Weitering - 20
Schache - 17
Francis - 3 (
Weideman - 3 (missed 5m of his draft year due to ankle stress fractures)
McKay - 0 (back injury out for 3m)

McCartin - 6
Marchbank - 5
Wright - 3
Moore - 9

Last edited:
Carey by far the worse. He had been out of footy for 12 months and had bad shoulders where he could no longer mark above his head. We did amazing trade work to get pick 4 for Johnson which later became pick 2. Rather than on trade it for Carey we should have said bugger it lets keep it.
It was pick 4 when it was traded but your point stands.

That said, it was a poor draft after Goddard and Wells.

Between 2 and our next pick at 32 (Luke Jericho), the best players were Daniel Merrett (may have been FS even), Tom Longergan, Will Minson, Hamish McIntosh, Steven Salopek, Jarred McVeigh, Andrew Mackie and Jarred Brennan.

I'd have taken Mackie looking back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back