Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

How plugger sees himself on bigfooty:
PjgX.gif

How we see plugger on bigfooty:
TiredKnobbyCirriped-size_restricted.gif

is Plugger the green one?

Dan Butler's top 5 finish amongst a tougher field suggests he put in the work through the holiday break. You gotta respect that.

i dont know about that ... it is tall but i wouldnt exactly call any of them (except ryder) slow .. Membrey covers the ground pretty good as does Marshall ... King we havent seen yet but he is regarded as being athletic tall so i dont see him being the lumbering big either. then on top of that our smalls are really zippy so i dont really buy the slow forward line thought .. it will be tall but not really slow
Yep, Members is one of the quickest in our team. King probably the fastest. Ryder and Marshall not quick tho, but we do have plenty of speed around now tho

Not wanting to pick on you, but I certainly don't agree that we have "incredibly poor depth" in the midfield.

A few years ago we did (when it was basically Stuv, Armo, Seb and Dunstan that went through there, and pretty much no-one else- yet we still won 12 games!), whereas this year any of the following could play there no worries, if needed:

Seb
Hannas
Gresh
Steele
Dunstan
Jones
Hopefully Clark
Most likely Bytel

So I don't see depth being the problem, it's much more whether we have one or more who are better than "B-grade" that is the potential issue.

Overall a midfield group of Marshall/Ryder, Seb, Hannebery, Hill, Gresh, Billings (that's 6 who when fit and in form are very good at football), Steele (pretty much elite at what he does- ie the defensive midfield role), Dunstan, Jones and Clark is far from bad, from where I'm sitting.

At least if they're fit and in form and the younger ones in Gresh and Clark are continuing to improve.

Those last two continuing to really improve, Hannas fitness, and Seb continuing on as he did after Richo got the flick are the key to us going from a midfield that's top-notch in the ruck and on the wings, but ordinary in the guts, to being a good and reasonably well balanced overall midfield. Potentially just missing that real "inside pig", that racks up high disposals, CP's and clearances.

Depth is probably not the best word to use.

Yes we quite decent midfield depth, in that we have loads of very good B and C grade solid citizens.

Problem is that depth STARTS at B grade and gets worse from there.
Sure, in future years perhaps the likes of clark and gresh step up to A grade mids, but that is total conjecture and hope at this point.

I personally think its misleading to say our midfield has 'good depth' because that to me infers that we're starting from a high position, which we certainly aren't.

If we had some actual A grade centre square mids, then I would agree- we have great depth in our midfield.

The dogs for instance would kill for some of our solid citizens to compliment bont, macrae etc.
They have the opposite problem to us- their mid depth falls off a cliff after the first few A grade guys

Yes we quite decent midfield depth, in that we have loads of very good B and C grade solid citizens.

Sure, in future years perhaps the likes of clark and gresh step up to A grade mids, but that is total conjecture and hope at this point.

I personally think its misleading to say our midfield has 'good depth' because that to me infers that we're starting from a high position, which we certainly aren't.

If we had some actual A grade centre square mids, then I would agree- we have great depth in our midfield.

The dogs for instance would kill for some of our solid citizens to compliment bont, macrae etc.
They have the opposite problem to us- their mid depth falls off a cliff after the first few A grade guys

The Dogs run pretty deep in mids it’s more KP and small forwards and defenders etc that are light on.

I think this bloke will be a revelation this year.
1579038401539.png

The Dogs run pretty deep in mids it’s more KP and small forwards and defenders etc that are light on.
Agree with that! Think i read somewhere a few weeks back some Ratings group called
The Dogs list the best in the comp! Completely baffled by that one, as far as i can see
They have a grossly unbalanced list, even more so than us!

I'd be expecting/hoping that the output from our midfield will improve considerably this year
With more options running through there and a bunch of players coming into what you would call
Their peak years in Gresham, Dunstan, Steele, Billings and Hill with a much more bigger impact
Presumably from Haneberry and a winning ruck division! And also predicting Clark is the one to really add some X factor in there!

The key to our fortunes will rest also on hopefully a much cleaner approach going inside 50 with our ball use
We seemed to have improved our stocks in outside run and players that are capable of hitting targets more than before!
Think our inside division is looking strong and with about 25 players on the list that are natural defenders i would
Be expecting that our backline can hold up well!

The obvious unknown and big question mark will come from where our goals come from and whether we can
Settle into a settled and functioning forward line that can kick a score! I'm predicting Butler to surprise a few locking down a small
Forward position, and King to have a bigger impact than many are predicting due to his age! He is a special talent! Add to that i feel
We are still to see the best of Membrey, We now have and are developing a genuine unpredictability to the make up of the fwd division
And the squad in general!
All this promises to be the most exciting season that the Saints have had for many years! I'm Bullish and Cocky....Mostly Cocky!! :stkilda:

Mids are overrated - the things that really count are how often you can get the ball into a scoring position and how you often you score once you've done that.

We do the first bit OK but we are absolute crap at the second.

I agree that we're ok at getting the ball into CRAP scoring positions to forwards who are gassed from running up the ground to defend.

A better midfield that can win their own ball, break a line and put the ball in an easier scoring spot.. all while not relying on our forwards to run themselves ragged to help defend- THAT will solve our accuracy woes.

View attachment 805956

He's gonna need several mates to join him in being an equally outstanding revelation.

We are coming from a long way off being competitive.
Hunter could step up to peak jack steven level and win the b and f and we as a team are still not much better as a list than we were in 2018.
Slightly better, but not by much.

2021 and beyond is where my expectations are set for large team improvement.

Agree with that! Think i read somewhere a few weeks back some Ratings group called
The Dogs list the best in the comp! Completely baffled by that one, as far as i can see
Dogs have added a key forward and a key back and so that improves their balance enormously.
Getting Bruce also means the Doggies will have the freedom to play Naughton forward or back.

So that really only leaves not having a top small forward. with their many mids, they can largely cover that with rotations. Plus Dale came out of nowhere in the second half of the season. If he continues that form into 2020, that along with Brice improves their forward line.

English will be a year older and at his young age that could mean he will be stronger in 2020.

I'd be expecting/hoping that the output from our midfield will improve considerably this year
With more options running through there and a bunch of players coming into what you would call
Their peak years in Gresham, Dunstan, Steele, Billings and Hill with a much more bigger impact
Presumably from Haneberry and a winning ruck division! And also predicting Clark is the one to really add some X factor in there!

The key to our fortunes will rest also on hopefully a much cleaner approach going inside 50 with our ball use
We seemed to have improved our stocks in outside run and players that are capable of hitting targets more than before!
Think our inside division is looking strong and with about 25 players on the list that are natural defenders i would

The obvious unknown and big question mark will come from where our goals come from and whether we can
Settle into a settled and functioning forward line that can kick a score! I'm predicting Butler to surprise a few locking down a small
Forward position, and King to have a bigger impact than many are predicting due to his age! He is a special talent! Add to that i feel
We are still to see the best of Membrey, We now have and are developing a genuine unpredictability to the make up of the fwd division
All this promises to be the most exciting season that the Saints have had for many years! I'm Bullish and Cocky....Mostly Cocky!! :stkilda:

The bulldogs list was close last year and for what they need have recruited exactly that. Plus they have a very good coach. I expect top 4 this year baring a heap of injuries. There isn’t much they lack

As for us we’ll we got some of what we need. Didn’t get an inside mid and lost 2 very good players. I expect 9 to 11 wins but I also expect we can make the finals next year if we improve the midfield either from recruiting or within

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can spin it anyway we like but on proven form we haves poor midfield. That doesn’t mean we will this year or in the future but on current form it’s poor mainly due to the players who play there being similar.

Current form is not completely relevant as the midfield will be appreciably different in 2020.

Hill and Jones are both new and quite different to our other mids. Having good outside mids should improve our inside mids and I believe for example will make players like Ross more effective. Having 3 outside mids the quality of Hill, Billings and Jones will make it easier for our inside mids to be more effective.

Hanners is quality and so IF he stays on the park for the season he will make a difference.

Yes we lost Steven, but in terms of comparing 2019 to 2020, Jack was not really there last season.

That is why we need Clark bytel etc to become very good mids. They are even close to that yet
Bytel is completely unkown and lacks recent games. Could be anything or nothing. Most likely will be a development year with some senior games.

Hunter however looks ready to take some midfield time.

Ryder will be interesting. Is he past it, or does e have two good years left? If he can play near his old level then in terms of midfield (ie ignoring the possible negative re forward play) then having at all times Marshall or Ryder in the ruck should help to improve the midfield.

Jones has been half forward / mid in match simulation
Howard has been Fullback with rotation in the Ruck.
Coffield half back flank
Wilkie half back flank
Savage half back / wing
Marshall ruck & deep Fullforward
Langlands .....wing
Battle ....Wing / Half forward / Half back
Bytel midfield
Butler half forward
King deep Full Forward.
Clark midfield
Ross midfield
Dunstan midfield
Gresham deep forward pocket / midfield
Roberton. half back
Hill Wing
Long defence
Forgotten men Clavarino/ Marsh / Austin all in really good shape all playing defence

Jack Bell Deep Forward in training drills

Geary been in rehab most of preseason
Webster been in rehab most of pre season lots in front him

Thank you.

What have they been doing with Billings?

View attachment 805956
Hopefully,
I think the key to ensuring that all the young guys who finnished last year well ie Clarke, Battle, Wilkie, Marshall, Hind and Wilkie is to not change too much in terms of the position in which they were playing. Especially early in the season. I'd argue that for at least the first 8 weeks we shod allow these guys to get oppotunities in the positions they were playing in even at the expense of other bigger name players in the name of development. After those 8 weeks the hope is that these guys have not just consolidated their spots with in the team but have started to dramaticly improve. Once this occurs then we can start moving the guys around. For instance moving Battle forward, Clark in the middle etc etc. I just think its crucial that we provide some continuity and reward to the guys who actually stepped up late last year. This actually goes against my personal belief which is that we need to push guys like Hind, and Clark into the midfield ASAP I would rather let Clarke dominate at Half back for a few months then unleash him into the midfield.

Hopefully,
I think the key to ensuring that all the young guys who finnished last year well ie Clarke, Battle, Wilkie, Marshall, Hind and Wilkie is to not change too much in terms of the position in which they were playing. Especially early in the season. I'd argue that for at least the first 8 weeks we shod allow these guys to get oppotunities in the positions they were playing in even at the expense of other bigger name players in the name of development. After those 8 weeks the hope is that these guys have not just consolidated their spots with in the team but have started to dramaticly improve. Once this occurs then we can start moving the guys around. For instance moving Battle forward, Clark in the middle etc etc. I just think its crucial that we provide some continuity and reward to the guys who actually stepped up late last year. This actually goes against my personal belief which is that we need to push guys like Hind, and Clark into the midfield ASAP I would rather let Clarke dominate at Half back for a few months then unleash him into the midfield.
Disagree - will not be a matter of trying push games in Hunter Clark by playing in the centre - rather it will be a matter of it being a total waste of talent by playing him of HBF.

Gun!!! Bookmark it!!!

Kane Cornes publicly saying Howard was the steal of the draft period and will come back to haunt PA. I have to agree, although I can't stand Kornes clickbait media spin.

This kid is going to be very good for us. What a pickup. Double bookmark this bloke.

I think we are more unbalanced. They got Bruce and Keath which fills massive holes. The midfield they have and a lot of in betweenness should see them rise. Might take 12 months to settle but they look good for another tilt. We are way to heavily invested in defenders and light on mids. We are also basing our elite forward line on unproven players at the moment. Hannerbury and Hill re our most important players IMO. They could be game changers if they play 23 games each.

Kane Cornes publicly saying Howard was the steal of the draft period and will come back to haunt PA. I have to agree, although I can't stand Kornes clickbait media spin.

This kid is going to be very good for us. What a pickup. Double bookmark this bloke.

I hope so, he must be a bit of a Josh Battle type of up and comer. I can't say I ever noticed him until we got him.

Hopefully,
I think the key to ensuring that all the young guys who finished last year well ie Clarke, Battle, Wilkie, Marshall, Hind and Wilkie is to not change too much in terms of the position in which they were playing.

I am not sure that will be likely given:

-Geary is likely to take back the BP -Though his pre-season is evidently being hampered
-Carlisle is now fully fit and Howard has been recruited - ie look to be the likely CHB/FB
-Robbo looks set to return to HBF. HBF was one obvious place to move Battle to.
-Ryder has been recruited - So while I and you may prefer Marshall to play 90% ruck, I think the club will have other plans. Suspect it will be with the two having more a 50/50 or 60/40 split rather than a 90/10.
-Hill and Jones no doubt locks for 22. Add to that Butler, Long, Lonie, Kent, Sinclair and even Parker and Hind will be under enormous pressure to keep his best 22 place.

Webster seems to be having issues with his pre-season and so that may make it easier for Wiklie to keep a back 6 place.

Clarke I expect to see being given more rotations through the midfield as well as rotating across hb.

Dogs have added a key forward and a key back and so that improves their balance enormously.
Getting Bruce also means the Doggies will have the freedom to play Naughton forward or back.

So that really only leaves not having a top small forward. with their many mids, they can largely cover that with rotations. Plus Dale came out of nowhere in the second half of the season. If he continues that form into 2020, that along with Brice improves their forward line.

English will be a year older and at his young age that could mean he will be stronger in 2020.

Bailey Dale looked a gun in the second half of 2019 and Cody Weightman looks like Stephen Milne junior. They are building nicely. English looks like he will be a great nemesis for Marshall for the next decade.

You have a problem with clickbait spin??
I'm staggered...

Bailey Dale looked a gun in the second half of 2019 and Cody Weightman looks like Stephen Milne junior. They are building nicely. English looks like he will be a great nemesis for Marshall for the next decade.

That crows kid ruckman (name?) took it up to, and probably beat roma when we played them last year.
Only other bloke that did that last year was gawn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back