Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Training today for those interested.

Yeah definitely Carlisle & Howard are the key defensive posts in match simulation.
Brown putting plenty of pressure on though so those guys have to perform
Pretty much entire list did match simulation today Geary , Alabakis , Parker & Ross only exceptions.
Battle rested ...( all good)
Bytel put scare through the camp tweaked a knee , after going thru whole range of tests got all clear.

Clark was the stand out in match simulation today .
But the guy who stood out for entire training session was Marsh ..significantly fitter this year.
They won’t be able to keep him out of team if he keeps it up , getting better & better.

Thought players in no particular order that stood out were Hill , Clark , Ryder , Jones , Billings , Coffield,
Marsh and Abbott ..... certainly emphasis is speed , run & carry.
Great report again Stewart66
Really hope you're right about Marsh, would be such a great story for him and the club. he comes across as a ripping bloke I follow him on insta and he also has a great dog lol

Probably the most accurate and succinct description yet.

The Seaford days were just one big dark corner where all the cockroaches gathered and multiplied.
Once we landed back in the sunshine of Moorabbin they were all scattered and squashed by the hand of Satan Lethlean and public exposure.
One hopes they've painted the joint in surface spray now, and put bug zappers in every corner.
Sexton found belly up and twitching in the cafeteria on Monday morning...

It feels like a big broom has gone through the playing list and backroom staff. That was 10 years we'll never get back but at least we have seen the worst and can now start fresh and with direction. It's amazing how many experts say get the admin in order and the rest takes care of its self. And the saying is seeming to ring trueat the Saints. We seem to have a bit of direction and momentum finally. I don't know if it will all work out but at least it doesn't seem like we are just bobbing on the ocean of failure any more.

Could argue Watson, Watters or Blight were worse.

Maybe things are more amplified now with social media and websites like these.

If this forum was as active now as it was back in the early 00's I'm sure people would have a different view now.

Back then all the media you got was from the papers or directly out of the club. Now anyone can post anything about the club.

I think there's a lot more pressure on public figures these days and their actions are scrutinised a lot more.

Anyway I'm rambling. I think Richo was poor but not the worst.
I guess the thing for is he was given so much time and also how he threw others under the bus to save himself on more then one oc
Could argue Watson, Watters or Blight were worse.

Maybe things are more amplified now with social media and websites like these.

If this forum was as active now as it was back in the early 00's I'm sure people would have a different view now.

Back then all the media you got was from the papers or directly out of the club. Now anyone can post anything about the club.

I think there's a lot more pressure on public figures these days and their actions are scrutinised a lot more.

Anyway I'm rambling. I think Richo was poor but not the worst.
I guess the thing for me is he was given so much time and also how he threw others under the bus to save himself on more then one occasion, kingsly is high regarded and spoken about at Richmond now

And for someone that was suppose to be such good development coach (myth) to not work on skills for 6 years is a joke and just shows he was so far out of depth it was not funny, complete lack of understanding of what was needed for the list he had .

Anyhow I'm rambling now and in the wrong thread, SORRY George lol just going stir crazy with not being able to do anything

Coupled with diabolical recruiting for more than 10 years. Trout was an assistant coach who we seemed to not notice was our under performing recruiter with no experience in the role.
As long as they’re good characters..

I guess the thing for is he was given so much time and also how he threw others under the bus to save himself on more then one oc

I guess the thing for me is he was given so much time and also how he threw others under the bus to save himself on more then one occasion, kingsly is high regarded and spoken about at Richmond now

And for someone that was suppose to be such good development coach (myth) to not work on skills for 6 years is a joke and just shows he was so far out of depth it was not funny, complete lack of understanding of what was needed for the list he had .

Anyhow I'm rambling now and in the wrong thread, SORRY George lol just going stir crazy with not being able to do anything

Are you still banged up Mowman? That is seriously ****ed if you are.

Wondered when a bit of Richo bashing would reappear. Clearly not the best coach in the world but he was also dudded by some very poor recruiting, some very poor corporate decisions (Seaford) and then a string of injuries that nobody could overcome.

12 wins in 16, 11 in 17 showed the club was headed in the right direction. Then Everyone misjudged the impact of Roo and others leaving and then you add a horrendous injury toll to start to 2018 which meant he had two choices - keep playing kids and let them get smacked by 15 goals a week or try to shore up the team defensively.

Happily agree he went to far but the reasoning was sound - he could have destroyed any number of young players by letting them get steamrolled week after week. (I doubt Billings, Gresh and possibly a few others would still have been with us under that scenario)

Recruiting last two years clearly shows the club knows there was problem with our list.

It feels like a big broom has gone through the playing list and backroom staff. That was 10 years we'll never get back but at least we have seen the worst and can now start fresh and with direction. It's amazing how many experts say get the admin in order and the rest takes care of its self. And the saying is seeming to ring trueat the Saints. We seem to have a bit of direction and momentum finally. I don't know if it will all work out but at least it doesn't seem like we are just bobbing on the ocean of failure any more.
The big worry is that it's just a flash in the pan brought on by SL.
Seek guy really hasn't proven anything yet, and l don't recall any significant turnover at board level, so when SL goes he may well take the rudder with him.
The club needs to ensure critical mass of competence at board level or we'll inevitably drift again.
There are always cockroaches trying to slide their way in to every organization. It's a constant battle that the Saints have traditionally lost and it will take a generation of diligence to build some inherent integrity about the place.
Having our members so ambivalent to failure is imo the single biggest issue. We aught be the last resort of checks and balances, but who can be effed at the end of the day...

Are you still banged up Mowman? That is seriously f’ed if you are.
Yep still struggling big time, gringo
Its a f%%king debilitating turd of a thing LOL
have had 2 beers since the 1st week of December and haven't picked up a golf stick up in 10 weeks LOL

Wondered when a bit of Richo bashing would reappear. Clearly not the best coach in the world but he was also dudded by some very poor recruiting, some very poor corporate decisions (Seaford) and then a string of injuries that nobody could overcome.

12 wins in 16, 11 in 17 showed the club was headed in the right direction. Then Everyone misjudged the impact of Roo and others leaving and then you add a horrendous injury toll to start to 2018 which meant he had two choices - keep playing kids and let them get smacked by 15 goals a week or try to shore up the team defensively.

Happily agree he went to far but the reasoning was sound - he could have destroyed any number of young players by letting them get steamrolled week after week. (I doubt Billings, Gresh and possibly a few others would still have been with us under that scenario)

Recruiting last two years clearly shows the club knows there was problem with our list.
Richo bashing or just thinking he was a poor coach call it what you want
As for for Roo and Joey leaving that falls squarely on Richo, he himself stated he miss read where the list was

Jesus fu** guys, this conversation was boring as s**t when Richo was still coach but its even more inane now.

I want to know how the current players are going, not being a misery guts about the last few years.
You're right and I want add to it anymore

I think he meant well. The club was under siege at the time, and he placed a steadying hand on a team under duress. However he continued his conservative approach for too long, even with the injuries. I also think that after Roo & Joey left he seemed completely rudderless. He was a coach for the time between 2013-2017. Hindsight is a great thing, but it was probably time for him to move on before 2018. You could already see the flaws in the game plan. Far too one dimensional...even for a team of below average quality.
At least he didn't go golfing when he was meant to be running training and at least he didn't turn a cold shoulder to the champions we had before he got there.

He was tactically inept, but everything else he did was first class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were clearly worse (in my opinion) but Richo was given so much more time than those guys which makes his tenure worse for the club overall. That contract extension was a disaster.
Not his fault?

Lol all good. You joined in 2013 right around the time he became coach so I would be shocked if your view of him wasn't influenced by being on here. Imagine you were on here in 2001 when Blight was golfing, people here would be ropeable. Anyway

At least he didn't go golfing when he was meant to be running training and at least he didn't turn a cold shoulder to the champions we had before he got there.

He was tactically inept, but everything else he did was first class.
In all fairness it was more than just tactics he lacked. For a developmental coach we saw surprisingly little development in our players. Considering he was essentially brought in as an intermission between cellar dweller and top 8 contender he didn't do a whole lot to facilitate that transition. Consistently overrated tryers, played players out of position, never focused on skills etc.

I find when looking for motivation from your leaders it’s not what they say it’s how they say it and how it inspires you.
Ratten seems to have the great skill of evoking emotion and feeling when getting his message across.
Richo seemed to lack this skill, maybe he was different behind closed doors but I can’t imagine the players ever got the inspiration to run through a brick wall for Richo.

Training today for those interested.

Yeah definitely Carlisle & Howard are the key defensive posts in match simulation.
Brown putting plenty of pressure on though so those guys have to perform
Pretty much entire list did match simulation today Geary , Alabakis , Parker & Ross only exceptions.
Battle rested ...( all good)
Bytel put scare through the camp tweaked a knee , after going thru whole range of tests got all clear.

Clark was the stand out in match simulation today .
But the guy who stood out for entire training session was Marsh ..significantly fitter this year.
They won’t be able to keep him out of team if he keeps it up , getting better & better.

Thought players in no particular order that stood out were Hill , Clark , Ryder , Jones , Billings , Coffield,
Marsh and Abbott ..... certainly emphasis is speed , run & carry.
With Marsh , where do you think he plays if he gets a game ?
Im glad he has trimmed down as i was next to him at one of the VFL games last year and he was very rolly polly , a bit like myself

Yep still struggling big time, gringo
Its a f%%king debilitating turd of a thing LOL
have had 2 beers since the 1st week of December and haven't picked up a golf stick up in 10 weeks LOL

That is such a bitch. You are a trooper. I'd get on here and be an insufferable angry dickhead....well more of an insufferable angry dickhead.

Jesus fu** guys, this conversation was boring as s**t when Richo was still coach but its even more inane now.

I want to know how the current players are going, not being a misery guts about the last few years.

You are shitting on my specialty. I have nothing positive to add and making the discussion all about upward trajectory discriminates again the misanthropes.

The big worry is that it's just a flash in the pan brought on by SL.
Seek guy really hasn't proven anything yet, and l don't recall any significant turnover at board level, so when SL goes he may well take the rudder with him.
The club needs to ensure critical mass of competence at board level or we'll inevitably drift again.
There are always cockroaches trying to slide their way in to every organization. It's a constant battle that the Saints have traditionally lost and it will take a generation of diligence to build some inherent integrity about the place.
Having our members so ambivalent to failure is imo the single biggest issue. We aught be the last resort of checks and balances, but who can be effed at the end of the day...

Hopefully the new generation is a bit more dynamic. Lethlean looks like one of those corporate thugs that would bully the dead wood out the door as well. I think the board makes little difference anyway. Good decision makers are the ones that you want and if they can come in with new ideas and direction they can usually get buy in. I think the board would be pretty keen to change direction anyway. The last decade must have been pretty financially devastating and their tight arising footy department spend has reaped nothing. Having Ratts gives us guy who can bring the weight of his experience and list what is needed to be successful. The board just have to nod, even a monkey can do that.

If our current coach maintains his 50% coaching record (which will be a big improvement on Richo), how long would you give him before looking for someone else?

I think the foreman was an accountant who had never seen a set of tools in his life. Everyone was hoping no-one would find them out. Workers on site were hiding in the tearoom hoping not to get exposed.
Good analogy. Spot on.

It's like a team of senior managers. All want to hype up what's happening. Problem is someone had to do the work. Pitty about that part.

Anyways hopefully it's changed.

This is overall accurate and the reason that, while not a huge fan of Richo would defend him against the more hysterical posts about him.
But when it was reported by a poster here from a current playet that Richo didn't concentrate on skills but more on pressure, I was astounded.
Could not believe this was a senior AFL coach strategy.
All I hear from Ratts is skill, skills, skills which is a relief.
WCE spend * all time on structure. It's all skill skill skill and more skill. Coupled with getting their bodies and tank ready to have an impact.

Freo on the other hand it was all learning Ross's structure.

I felt for richo it was just all about defensive pressure and how to defend. Not much substance to it.

I'd love to get someone like schofield at the club but I think he's being groomed to take over from Hinkley.

I'd love lenny to be our next coach. I'd love roo to get involved on the board in future seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back