Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

But the racist remarks weren't a once off was it. He did it twice. Years apart.

Once to long which involved mediation. Then a couple years later to Chisolm.

Then he copped a suspended jail sentence for driving on a suspended licence.

Plus he then got into further trouble with the police when he was out drunk.

I recall saint Kilda and hawthorn moving him on because of character type issues.

I think he tried to glass a off duty police man in the face in Frankston as well. He was a nice guy and good fun though. Just a massive handful along with young Barry Hall getting into street fights.

Name some gutless posters then if your got so much courage

I'm a gutless poster, I came over here because Plugger gave me the shits....then I slowly turned into him. Post too much....yep, contrary....yep, grumpy....yep. It's pretty much been a slow decent into Pluggerness.

They were both sh1t comments from a pretty sh1tty bloke

I went out with some Saints players in Sydney back in that era and Everitt was an open friendly guy but good guys can still be campaigners as well. Like most people he's not a cartoon villain, just a guy prone to doing things before he thinks. He was a loose character who was a bad influence on others at the club. Losing him was a good move. We couldn't manage his off and on field acts.

I think he tried to glass a off duty police man in the face in Frankston as well. He was a nice guy and good fun though. Just a massive handful along with young Barry Hall getting into street fights.
That explains the charge around throwing a missile

I'm a gutless poster, I came over here because Plugger gave me the shits....then I slowly turned into him. Post too much....yep, contrary....yep, grumpy....yep. It's pretty much been a slow decent into Pluggerness.
Gringo Saints BF need people like you to post otherwise the site would become boring - same as Plugger - every site needs character's.
Everyone who post's creates content , of course some of it may be rubbish and some informative , but that's up to the reader's view.
I'm glad we have a good board because we get good updates from Stewart66 , George , Aussierules and many others and I'm grateful for any news I can get.

Gringo Saints BF need people like you to post otherwise the site would become boring - same as Plugger - every site needs character's.
Everyone who post's creates content , of course some of it may be rubbish and some informative , but that's up to the reader's view.
I'm glad we have a good board because we get good updates from Stewart66 , George , Aussierules and many others and I'm grateful for any news I can get.

This +1 ✔️

Life would be boring if we all agreed with each other.

Who gets pushed out? We have Hanners to come in as well. Dunny and Steele are looking good on that last game.
TBH honest mate how far have Steele and Dunstan gotten us? Barring a massive improvement from at least one of them I do think there’s a spot there to be taken.

If they do improve enough to where they’re constantly pumping the ball forward for us then Jones can take Gresham’s spot and he can go forward to be our Stevie J. If that happens that’s when we can start talking finals.

But the racist remarks weren't a once off was it. He did it twice. Years apart.

Once to long which involved mediation. Then a couple years later to Chisolm.

Then he copped a suspended jail sentence for driving on a suspended licence.

Plus he then got into further trouble with the police when he was out drunk.

I recall saint Kilda and hawthorn moving him on because of character type issues.

saint Kilda !!!
SAINT KILDA!!!!!

You had better be using voice recognition mister.!!!!

Don’t know. If it was on the internet it’s probably true just like Sinclair and Steven apparently being an item. All I know is he was a popular person at the club and was great around kids and made the club a bit of money with spiders kids memberships or whatever it was called. He certainly wasn’t racist but did make a racist remark. Something many people did back then. Luckily others on here never make bad decisions.

Spider was a lovable larrikin but he was also certainly a bit of a dickhead...

As for being toxic, well I think a bit of bad blood between him & the club was more due to his manager advising him to get as much coin out of the club as possible.

To add to the Roma debate... we already know that he can be a dominant force in the ruck & around the ground. That isn't going to change because Paddy spends more time there now. If anything Roma's stints in the middle will be more effective as he'll be fresher. His evolution as a true ruck/forward is what will not only make him one of the best players in the game but will be a huge influence on us pushing back into the 8 and then top 4.

Very few defences will be able to handle Roma as well as Winx and Skunk... and I'm starting to have confidence that we finally have a midfield that can give them plenty of high quality supply.

That explains the charge around throwing a missile

That was when he threw a tinny at a cop car at Phillip Island from memory.

Spider was a bogan from Hastings who grew up in a era where that sort of stuff was looked at as a bit of fun... he'd have a career of about 20 games these days and that's only if a club took a chance on him in the draft.

Spider was a lovable larrikin but he was also certainly a bit of a dickhead...

As for being toxic, well I think a bit of bad blood between him & the club was more due to his manager advising him to get as much coin out of the club as possible.

To add to the Roma debate... we already know that he can be a dominant force in the ruck & around the ground. That isn't going to change because Paddy spends more time there now. If anything Roma's stints in the middle will be more effective as he'll be fresher. His evolution as a true ruck/forward is what will not only make him one of the best players in the game but will be a huge influence on us pushing back into the 8 and then top 4.

Very few defences will be able to handle Roma as well as Winx and Skunk... and I'm starting to have confidence that we finally have a midfield that can give them plenty of high quality supply.

I agree but we need our smalls to fire as well.
If the ball goes to ground we want at least 50:50 chance of getting it.
If i got to choose i'd want Gresham there. Probably along with Lonie and one of Kent/Butler

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know for a fact one of his coaches thought very little of him. No, make that two. He was popular with many of the players. He was a polarising character. While what you say is generally the case, P66, he was not loved by the more senior, mature players.

I'm sure he always took the first shout.

Radical thought. Battle has the tank to play midfield. A strong-bodied runner with clean hands and a beautiful kick. Use him like a Cripps 2.0. On ball, moving on to stints up forward. If we are too tall up forward, he can also pinch-hit there in a style similar to Membrey. A very hard player to match up on. A gem of a pick from later in the draft. I see a very bright future for the lad.

Battle is tall, and Cripps is tall so they must be able to play the same?

Cripps has an uncanny ability to win the contested ball and clearances.
Now i know Battle hasn't been tried there, but i'm going to go out on a limb and say Battle won't have many 20 contested possession games, or 15 clearance games.

Oh please gringo
You’re our Rob Harvey of the forum 😆

That was when he threw a tinny at a cop car at Phillip Island from memory.

Spider was a bogan from Hastings who grew up in a era where that sort of stuff was looked at as a bit of fun... he'd have a career of about 20 games these days and that's only if a club took a chance on him in the draft.

I remember him saying he used to sit watching training drinking cans and they talked him into coming and having a kick as kid. He found he had an aptitude for footy. He was probably saved from being an all out dickhead by footy.

I agree but we need our smalls to fire as well.
If the ball goes to ground we want at least 50:50 chance of getting it.
If i got to choose i'd want Gresham there. Probably along with Lonie and one of Kent/Abbott.

No doubt... Gresh showed the other night how effective he is as a mid/fwd (75/25 split). He's a mid and a very important one in our rotation at that.

I love Stewie's intel that he & Jones have rotated during preseason.

Small forwards for mine is a mix of Butler and Lonedog... I didn't have Kent in the mix to be honest but he was pretty impressive on Thursday night.

Abbott? Did you mean Butler?

Radical thought. Battle has the tank to play midfield. A strong-bodied runner with clean hands and a beautiful kick. Use him like a Cripps 2.0. On ball, moving on to stints up forward. If we are too tall up forward, he can also pinch-hit there in a style similar to Membrey. A very hard player to match up on. A gem of a pick from later in the draft. I see a very bright future for the lad.

You know what, it may take half a season for Battle to find his groove in the midfield (and I include the wing in that). Yes he looked a bit lost on Thursday but I'm backing Ratts to not only find Battle a spot but to develop him into a star. He's got all the tools... he just needs the experience in playing a different role.

No doubt... Gresh showed the other night how effective he is as a mid/fwd (75/25 split). He's a mid and a very important one in our rotation at that.

I love Stewie's intel that he & Jones have rotated during preseason.

Small forwards for mine is a mix of Butler and Lonedog... I didn't have Kent in the mix to be honest but he was pretty impressive on Thursday night.

Abbott? Did you mean Butler?

Yeah ...WTF am i doing?

Hey Sainters,
How's Dan Hannebery looking? I saw he played the full trial game in the mids which was good news.
Is he likely to line up for your 2nd PS game?
Cheers

You know what, it may take half a season for Battle to find his groove in the midfield (and I include the wing in that). Yes he looked a bit lost on Thursday but I'm backing Ratts to not only find Battle a spot but to develop him into a star. He's got all the tools... he just needs the experience in playing a different role.
I'm with you. Expecting him to do it well from praccie match #1 is unreasonable. Doesn't mean it will work for him, but looking lost first up doesn't mean it should be written off as a failure.
Also, was watching game v Dees from last year. Long did a lot of his best work back of centre. Not so much an experiment imo, and think it will work out well.
Battle would make a great swingman if he can get his head around it. And with depth on every line now, he could avoid pressure to lock down a position. Would hate to see him wasted at Sandy, same with Coff.

Please, please not this again... nothing personal, no offense intended.

Hey Sainters,
How's Dan Hannebery looking? I saw he played the full trial game in the mids which was good news.
Is he likely to line up for your 2nd PS game?
Cheers

He should play against Hawthorn this week and against the Pies in the second Preseason game. He was always going to only play 2 out of the 3 games.
Supposedly his injuries are behind him now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back