Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny thing from my observations is that Ratts is “not “using Battle as a fill in player , more the “Ace “in the
hole using him to expose weaknesses in opposition in variety of roles .

Whilst I cannot speak for any inside knowledge, that's how I'd look at using Battle. There aren't too many players in the league with his wide skillset, and will create headaches for the other team. His elite running is key, in this, IMO. Not only for match up reasons, but it's one thing to have a versatile player, and another thing to have a versatile player that has the capability of putting all facets of his skillset into use in a single given game.

If he adapts well to this role, it could be exceptional.

Funny thing from my observations is that Ratts is “not “using Battle as a fill in player , more the “Ace “in the
hole using him to expose weaknesses in opposition in variety of roles .
Battle height, big tank and speed could be a nightmare for opposition coaches. I don't think the choice is between Battle and another tall but more between Battle and Savage/Coffield/Dunstan/Parker/Kent.

pick the best 22 and construct a game plan to suit.
I know the idea of a tall on the bench isn't popular but the positive side of it is that talls take a rest too, if Battle is the designated swing man structurally we lose nothing when a tall is rested, instead of creating a mismatch that doesn't work for us. If the rotation of mids and smalls is affected we may have to look harder at who is fit enough and fast enough to run in both directions and have more game time. This where I think, Gresh/Parker/Hannebury/Butler become more important and their flexibility allow mids to rest forward and be genuine attacking options. The extra tall allows us injury cover too, there has been a few matches conceded because an injury to a tall has left us undersized, when we've had an injury to a tall and tried to bench another we come badly undone.

Exactly right. We have greater coverage through the small forward and midfield space, as there are a number of players who could play through both (either intentionally, for rotation/rest reasons, or due to injury). Battle not only affords coverage to defence and the forward line, but can even cover an injury in the midfield (either directly, or by proxy).

Richo's ideas seemed to revolve around forcing players into rather strict roles. Ratts, on the other hand, seems to be designing his roles around the players he had, and acquiring established players who best complement our existing squad. Not only does this play into the natural strengths of each player, but also creates greater "buy in" with everyone enjoying themselves more and feeling more relaxed, knowing they don't have to worry about learning how to do all of these extra things that go against their skillset.

Battle attended two centre bounces last Thursday, as well lining up on a wing numerous times. I think the club will persist with playing him in a midfield role, using his tank and versatility to provide a target coming out of defence and to drift forward when possible.

With both Membrey and Battle capable of roaming the ground I am confident they can play in the same team as King, Ryder and Marshall.

Playing an extra tall will have an affect on our interchange, however I think Gresh, JB, Ross etc will all spend time either resting forward or coming off a back flank, thus increasing their TOG.

Richo seemed fairly hesitant to mix up the midfield rotations throughout his tenure, it will be interesting to see how Ratten will manage it.

Looks like he could potentially be pushed out of the club due to last years list management decisions. I’m struggling to fit him into the 22 & worry the trial of playing him as a utility won’t work.
I take it your trying to be funny , you think Battle could be pushed out , mate you have more chance of getting a game for us than Battle being pushed out , i think your really adding up 2 +2 and getting five if you seriously think he could be pushed out , How long do you think Jake and Brownie have left ? Some see Jake as a lock, i dont and think he could come under serious pressure to keep his spot this year and brownie is near done , Battle takes over CHB IMO
Rance , Grimes , Frawley all similar size to Battle and they go alright

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the club will livestream the game on Friday?

Does anyone know if the club will livestream the game on Friday?

Thanks to Brut

Local Gippsland radio station TRFM have said they will cover it. Not sure any journos will make trip for twitter updates with the all star game the same night.

Pregame from 4pm on TRFM. Game at 4:30pm.
SourceL https://www.facebook.com/gippslandlive/

Funny thing about this was discussed by regular Training watchers today about last Thursday‘s game
those close to bench commentary was Dan going hard verbally during match and Roughead tempering it
with positive reinforcement to players .

Training today very light session going to be very interesting as we are resting quite a few and most of
the list will play including Alabakis ..., Byrnes , Phillips , Bytel , Geary to name a few being treated as
a real practice game ..with focus being at full strength for Collingwood game.
Only one missing will be Connolly who is ill.

Feedback was we were disappointed on defending last Friday .
Bit early to start tanking.

pick the best 22 and construct a game plan to suit.
I know the idea of a tall on the bench isn't popular but the positive side of it is that talls take a rest too, if Battle is the designated swing man structurally we lose nothing when a tall is rested, instead of creating a mismatch that doesn't work for us. If the rotation of mids and smalls is affected we may have to look harder at who is fit enough and fast enough to run in both directions and have more game time. This where I think, Gresh/Parker/Hannebury/Butler become more important and their flexibility allow mids to rest forward and be genuine attacking options. The extra tall allows us injury cover too, there has been a few matches conceded because an injury to a tall has left us undersized, when we've had an injury to a tall and tried to bench another we come badly undone.
Thats exactly what Ratts has done. Dean Kent said on radio on Friday morning that Ratts came to the team, asked them what their strengths were and how they wanted to play, then created our game plan around what the players said. Made for interesting listening.

He’s pretty nervous .....think it’s fantastic we are resting Marshall & others ...giving kids experience.
The advantage of this extra game to give everyone a chance. And probably good for those finding their feet it isn't televised so they can't really be scrutinised if they appear way off it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s pretty nervous .....think it’s fantastic we are resting Marshall & others ...giving kids experience.
That would have to be the biggest understatement , please correct me if im wrong but some have said the kid is light years away from being AFL or even VFL standard
Has the kid got any ability ?

That would have to be the biggest understatement , please correct me if im wrong but some have said the kid is light years away from being AFL or even VFL standard
Has the kid got any ability ?

All what you are saying above is correct ... he is the project player ,what do we have to lose ....nothing.

This is a supplementary practice game , we are using it that way getting games into a number of players.

I take it your trying to be funny , you think Battle could be pushed out , mate you have more chance of getting a game for us than Battle being pushed out , i think your really adding up 2 +2 and getting five if you seriously think he could be pushed out , How long do you think Jake and Brownie have left ? Some see Jake as a lock, i dont and think he could come under serious pressure to keep his spot this year and brownie is near done , Battle takes over CHB IMO
Rance , Grimes , Frawley all similar size to Battle and they go alright

I‘m a fan don’t get me wrong. However, IF he is not happy with the current financials (mowman is one of them most reliable posters & has no reason to lie) & IF he plays a dozen games for Sandy then I will start to worry. He’s not young anymore, he would be looking at regular AFL games, & he would attract significant interest + $$$$

Funny thing about this was discussed by regular Training watchers today about last Thursday‘s game
those close to bench commentary was Dan going hard verbally during match and Roughead tempering it
with positive reinforcement to players .

Training today very light session going to be very interesting as we are resting quite a few and most of
the list will play including Alabakis ..., Byrnes , Phillips , Bytel , Geary to name a few being treated as
a real practice game ..with focus being at full strength for Collingwood game.
Only one missing will be Connolly who is ill.

Feedback was we were disappointed on defending last Friday .

Probably disappointing for Leo , considering he went to School maybe 20 minutes from Morwell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back