Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching and living in Bunyip in the West Gippy league after coaching Narre Warren or Pakenham (?) to multiple flags.
Narre Warren
Has local fitness centre with x narre player

Lonie is a little pest...and he is our little pest. Definitely in the best 22 over the last couple of years.

Lonie is the “annoying little yappy dog” who distracts your attention while the bigger stronger dog sneaks up and rips your leg off.

If by chance you can sidestep the big dog (Membrey/King), Lonie will chew your ankles off ...

With absolute respect been gifted 4 goals over preseason, Butler been good but needs to improve too.

Just me but the guys exciting me this year apart from expected ones Jones , Hill , Howard & Hannebery.

Are

Long playing backline changes the complete way we transition the ball out of the backline.

Marsh really exciting offers more speed with height in number of positions.

Clark & Coffield off half back sweeping roles ....with Clark having impact in 2nd half of games as a
midfielder.

Wilkie in great shape , what a pick up for free.

The indigenous collection ....that includes guys like Allan Murray & Lovett - Murray Overseeing them.

Bytel , Byrnes , Battle ....love them already .
Yeah, we are pretty much on the same page here.

I’ve been thinking way too much about Marsh.....
I don’t see why Marsh couldn’t play Kent’s role. Kent is quick, but he isn’t that agile. Marsh kinda seems the same but a better marking target. I’ve not seen enough of Marsh though, so the question is, could Marsh play as a pressure forward?

Tall but dynamic forward line, if Marsh can still get the ground ball and apply pressure then I think it could work.

Membrey Battle Marsh
Lonie King Parker

I am going to call it - 17 Round season coming up

Each club plays each other once

Season start will be postponed until 25 April - if need be the bye will be removed and then the season could begin in May potentially

At least postpone the start and then if need be cancel the season later if the CV crisis does not improve

Season start will be postponed until 25 April - if need be the bye will be removed and then the season could begin in May potentially

At least postpone the start and then if need be cancel the season later if the CV crisis does not improve

It would be just our luck to win a flag under a heavily compromised season.

Problem is that the peak of infections is apparently likely to occur 10-15 weeks from first community transmissions (which haven't occured yet here or are only just starting to).
That would mean starting the season when the most people are sick (20% of the population is apparently 'best case')

China are now at that point, just over the peak- they are hardly in a jovial enough mood for organised sport at this point I'd suggest?

I reckon the whole season will be canned, or they do something nuts like play 17 half length games in the space of a couple of months at the end of the year (each team plays 2 half games a week).

Or maybe the AFL will run some sort of mickey mouse AFLX style round robin comp at the end of the year or something

Problem is that the peak of infections is apparently likely to occur 10-15 weeks from first community transmissions (which haven't occured yet here or are only just starting to).
That would mean starting the season when the most people are sick (20% of the population is apparently 'best case')

China are now at that point, just over the peak- they are hardly in a jovial enough mood for organised sport at this point I'd suggest?

I reckon the whole season will be canned, or they do something nuts like play 17 half length games in the space of a couple of months at the end of the year (each team plays 2 half games a week).

Or maybe the AFL will run some sort of mickey mouse AFLX style round robin comp at the end of the year or something

In China its spring.
If it hits here before winter, we may have it longer than them.
I consider getting the flu at the footy to be pretty low risk compared to kids getting it from schools ( are we going to close schools for 6 months )? Or riding on public transport.
Village Roadshow might as well declare bankruptcy now.

My thoughts are people would avoid going if they have any flue like symptoms.
Imagine being at the footy next week and coughing. Imagine the reactions of those around you. Me ...i'd avoid going if i was like that.
Yes you can have it without the symptoms, but its mainly the coughing that spreads it.

In China its spring.
I consider getting the flu at the footy to be pretty low risk compared to kids getting it from schools ( are we going to close schools for 6 months )? Or riding on public transport.

Imagine being at the footy next week and coughing. Imagine the reactions of those around you. Me ...i'd avoid going if i was like that.
Yes you can have it without the symptoms, but its mainly the coughing that spreads it.
It's going to be interesting to see how they handle it. Whilst I do completely understand the reasoning behind locking fans out, I'm much more concerned about catching public transport. I get the train to work every morning and we are packed in like sardines, people pressed against each other. That's the biggest risk for me - not being in the same stadium with 30,000 and there being the slight risk someone might have CV.

If you block mass gatherings, how do you handle public transport? Over half a million people in Melbourne use it 3-7 times a week. Our work is preparing for the CBD togo into lockdown at some point in the near future. We've also not even come into flu season yet, and there is currently no vaccine for CV. This could go on for the next 12 months and won't even peak until May-June. If they go ahead with the lockout I can't see how or when we are able to attend games again.

It's going to be interesting to see how they handle it. Whilst I do completely understand the reasoning behind locking fans out, I'm much more concerned about catching public transport. I get the train to work every morning and we are packed in like sardines, people pressed against each other. That's the biggest risk for me - not being in the same stadium with 30,000 and there being the slight risk someone might have CV.

If you block mass gatherings, how do you handle public transport? Over half a million people in Melbourne use it 3-7 times a week. Our work is preparing for the CBD togo into lockdown at some point in the near future. We've also not even come into flu season yet, and there is currently no vaccine for CV. This could go on for the next 12 months and won't even peak until May-June. If they go ahead with the lockout I can't see how or when we are able to attend games again.

Some news outlets are reporting new cases in China and South Korea are starting to fall. Perhaps we'll get lucky and it will have peaked by late April/early May.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nail on the head.

We may need to go into lock down, but its not something that's sustainable.
Businesses simply can't afford to just pay their staff month after month. Casual workers who have no leave will be totally screwed.
People will need food, and other goods. ( though there may be a glut of toilet roll by then ).

It needs to be co-ordinated and timed based on the situation here. Not the situation in Europe, China or USA. HERE !!!.
When a lockdown is needed ,THEN we should do it properly including public transport.

If we prematurely ejaculate we may find that we need a longer than expected lockdown, and then we'll run into all sorts of problems.

Some news outlets are reporting new cases in China and South Korea are starting to fall. Perhaps we'll get lucky and it will have peaked by late April/early May.

Guess what time of year it is in China and Korea?
When are you more likely to get a cold or flu?

China aren't even close to 20% of their pop yet... 80K yesterday, they'd need roughly 270 million more people to get infected for 1/5th of the population as expected. And considering those estimates are typically 1/5th of the world population I expect China will be copping more than their "fair" share of cases given that's where the outbreak began and they've failed miserably to prevent the spread.

If Gold Coast are top of the table end of round 1 they’ll call it.

Nail on the head.

We may need to go into lock down, but its not something that's sustainable.
Businesses simply can't afford to just pay their staff month after month. Casual workers who have no leave will be totally screwed.
People will need food, and other goods. ( though there may be a glut of toilet roll by then ).

It needs to be co-ordinated and timed based on the situation here. Not the situation in Europe, China or USA. HERE !!!.
When a lockdown is needed ,THEN we should do it properly including public transport.

If we prematurely ejaculate we may find that we need a longer than expected lockdown, and then we'll run into all sorts of problems.
Peak infection isn't so much a concern as trying to suppress the transmission rate.

The primary issue faced is the lack of hospital beds, so the aim is to spread the number of infections over the longest period possible, attempting a controlled burn rather than a wildfire situation that exceed the health system's capacity to manage.

I'd think/hope, that if anyone symptomatic self isolates and there's a lockdown on crowds, then we should breeze through fiarly well compared to those countries who acted too late.

CBD companies are preparing for a lockdown like theprospect said.
Hopefully the Government will go hard right now and spare us more pain later on.
With easter holidays on the horizon they could buy 4-5 weeks of decongregation and dampen the economic impact.

In China its spring.

It started before the northern winter... if they're seeing lesser rates of infection as the weather warms up then that's a good thing.

Its actually the virus' ability to survive on hard surfaces that makes it particularly contagious. So when you touch any surface at the footy, you're potentially picking it up.

I agree that it's a bit of a half cocked approach at present. As I said, its very difficult for politicians to make the hard calls while not causing panic.

Guess what time of year it is in China and Korea?
When are you more likely to get a cold or flu?

I saw something saying the time of year seems irrelevant. Places like Iran are not cold and it seems to have been pretty virulent there.

Peak infection isn't so much a concern as trying to suppress the transmission rate.

The primary issue faced is the lack of hospital beds, so the aim is to spread the number of infections over the longest period possible, attempting a controlled burn rather than a wildfire situation that exceed the health system's capacity to manage.

I'd think/hope, that if anyone symptomatic self isolates and there's a lockdown on crowds, then we should breeze through fiarly well compared to those countries who acted too late.

CBD companies are preparing for a lockdown like theprospect said.
Hopefully the Government will go hard right now and spare us more pain later on.
With easter holidays on the horizon they could buy 4-5 weeks of decongregation and dampen the economic impact.

That's eactly what they are trying to do. Spread the infections. But doing that means the season has no hope of finishing. I reckon its about 100 to one the season finishes unless of course they have some sort of round robin in August or September.

there's no way they sacrifice tv revenue and the gate

something is better than nothing

That's eactly what they are trying to do. Spread the infections. But doing that means the season has no hope of finishing. I reckon its about 100 to one the season finishes unless of course they have some sort of round robin in August or September.
I'm not disagreeing but if you band or minimised crowds for the season then by the time September comes many people will have immunity and the cities could cope with the new case load from a few games.
The hospitals and general populace would have their act together by then, and IIRC they reckoned about 6 months till a vaccine could be produced.

I think the TV rights alone are enough to see that games go ahead if in any way possible.
There really is no reason why the players can't continue to play.
Charter all their flights and just keep them firmly in their bubble for the season.
They shouldn't be in pubs till seasons end anyway, so the non drinkers would hardly notice any difference.
TBH they should get smart and play the games in regional areas.
Take the game back to the people during the season and mothball the stadiums till we get some herd immunity. Sponsors wouldn't like it though..

It started before the northern winter... if they're seeing lesser rates of infection as the weather warms up then that's a good thing.

Its actually the virus' ability to survive on hard surfaces that makes it particularly contagious. So when you touch any surface at the footy, you're potentially picking it up.

I agree that it's a bit of a half cocked approach at present. As I said, its very difficult for politicians to make the hard calls while not causing panic.

Right now it seems that those who thought the people stocking up on tinned food and dunny roll were crazy, are doing the right thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back