Training 2020 Pre-Season

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well, preseason officially kicks off on 16th November so we may as well open this early to capture all the preseason news.

Hopefully this is the first and last preseason hiccup for the boys.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've been Hannebery's biggest defender but I'm not sure even I can take another year of injuries. I get that accidents happen but crikey..

Yeah he has me worried too. I just hope the club is being 100% upfront. We need him and an interrupted preseason would be a major setback

We will see in 6 weeks i guess

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah he has me worried too. I just hope the club is being 100% upfront. We need him and an interrupted preseason would be a major setback

Well we did get a whole day to enjoy the trade period outcome.

It was a freakin sublime day too

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
Well, preseason officially kicks off on 16th November so we may as well open this early to capture all the preseason news.

Hopefully this is the first and last preseason hiccup for the boys.

Notice in the photo that he is being tackled by Brad Hill with Blake Acres watching on, how ironic with them both swapping clubs.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
You can't wrap these guys in cotton wool , Hannebery will be ok - one of the most aerobically fit in the team so will be more than ready to go by round 1.
I know one thing you wouldn't want to be caught pissed doing something stupid it will be front page news.
The media will dribble on about anything to fill up there web pages or blogs.

Anyway preseason is going to be huge - they are going to have to work out game structure and then see who can play the game style they want to play.
Will King be ready , can Bytel get a game , will Austin grow a leg , will Hunter Clark be given a midfield role.
exciting times ahead.

Aug 13, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Can anyone explain the situation with Newnes? I read he could be picked up as a delisted free agent. How is he delisted with a contract on the table. I’m okay if he chooses to leave but don’t understand why we wouldn’t get FA compensation

Am I right in that if Carlton offer him a contract we can match it, if we wish, but if we don’t he walks and we get donuts?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can anyone explain the situation with Newnes? I read he could be picked up as a delisted free agent. How is he delisted with a contract on the table. I’m okay if he chooses to leave but don’t understand why we wouldn’t get FA compensation

Am I right in that if Carlton offer him a contract we can match it, if we wish, but if we don’t he walks and we get donuts?

Yeh the articles make it sound like it's his choice which is odd.
The normal free agency period is over, only delisted free agents now.
We would need to delist him if he wants out now else he goes to the draft.

Yeh the articles make it sound like it's his choice which is odd.
The normal free agency period is over, only delisted free agents now.
We would need to delist him if he wants out now else he goes to the draft.

Why have they even got it set up like that?
Clubs will be chasing big fish during trade period. They don't know if they can land them. Perhaps they'd like a free agent after they miss out.
Clubs will lose players they didn't expect during trade period. Perhaps they'd like a free agent to replace them.

Buuuut. Dopey Gil's mob say they have to choose their free agents first?

So despite all the AFLPA crap about how players of that age should be able to just choose where they go to play, they still need to go into the draft.

In this case , i'm sure if Newnes asked , we would de-list him so he could go there. But i call BULLSHIT AFL.
What is the negative re-percussion about extending the unrestricted free agency period past trade time.
I guess clubs who lose free agents need to be able to replace them. If thats the case end both trade and unrestricted free agency at the same time.

*** OK i just read that Newnes was a restricted free agent.

Blues have culled a lot of players. 7 Delisted and 3 retired. They only have 4 picks in the first 4 rounds.
Saints had seven classed as de-listed , and none retired. ( Goddard survived the cull ).

It kind of makes sense for them to chase Newnes.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

i never really understood that... why does the club need to be 100% upfront ? any issue with any players physical and/or mental well being is a private matter between the player their doctor and the club why we as fans feel its our right to know the intimate details of that is a strange concept .. im content the club tell us what they want to tell us, its not intentionally misleading its just the info that they feel comfortable putting into the open...
as fans the only info we need is player xx has hurt themselvs in the yyy region and we expect them back on zzzz .

the player may come back early the player may have a setback that means they come back late ... all we need to know really is xx isnt playing this week

Keg on legs

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
i never really understood that... why does the club need to be 100% upfront ? any issue with any players physical and/or mental well being is a private matter between the player their doctor and the club why we as fans feel its our right to know the intimate details of that is a strange concept .. im content the club tell us what they want to tell us, its not intentionally misleading its just the info that they feel comfortable putting into the open...
as fans the only info we need is player xx has hurt themselvs in the yyy region and we expect them back on zzzz .

the player may come back early the player may have a setback that means they come back late ... all we need to know really is xx isnt playing this week

Fair call

In fairness to Hanners , technically im still his advocate hence the injury . He is just dying for the new year to start and his curse will be lifted . lol

Back