Training 2020 Pre-Season

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd probably have a lot more confidence of SOS running a football department than I would be of him being in charge of recruiting (which may just not be his go), so if the club (who seem to be making a lot of terrific appointments/calls at the moment) see him as our best bet, I'm happy to back them in. No dramas there.

SOS worked for us in the time of RTB. He found the workload challenging, but he wasn't the only one. Ross Lyon burned out a lot of assistant coaches.

After assistant coaching at St Kilda (2007 - 2010), SOS decided on a career change and he headed north to GWS (2011) as their list manager.
He was lured back to Carlton in 2015 and was immediately able to facilitate some bargain trades with his old club GWS (?insider trading). This source was also a feature of his trading in his second year as Carlton's list manager.

I am analysing his performance as list manager here. (Note: Patrick Cripps was taken by Carlton 2 years before SOS arrived)

The number in brackets is how many AFL matches played and the + indicates they are still on the playing list

Year 1 Carlton (2015)

Free Agency:
Daniel Gorringe (4) Fail
Matthew Wright (65) Good

Trades Out:
Chris Yarran (0) Good move but have both Carlton and Richmond failed in their support of a former player who was clearly having trouble?
In May 2019, Yarran was sentenced to five years in jail after stealing cars, attacking police and members of the public while under the influence of methamphetamine.
Lachie Henderson (54)
Tom Bell (21)

Trades In:
Jed Lamb (44) Fair
Andrew Phillips (27) Fair
Lachie Plowman (74+) Very Good
Liam Sumner (20) Meh
Sam Kerridge (42) Fair

Drafted:
#1 Jacob Weitering (76+) Good
#12 Charlie Curnow (58+) Very Good
#23 David Cunningham (24+) Good
#53 Jack Silvagni (60+) Good

Rookied:
Jesse Glass-McCasker (0) Fail
Andrew Gallucci (0) Fail
Matthew Korcheck (0) Fail

Year 2 Carlton (2016)

Trades Out:
Zac Tuohy (66+)

Trades In:
Billy Smedts (9) Fail
Caleb Marchbank (41+) Good
Jarrod Pickett (17) Fail
Rhys Palmer (1) Fail

Drafted:
#6 Sam Petrevski-Seton (64+) Good
#27 Zac Fisher (55+) Good
#47 Harrison Macreadie (9+) Meh
#59 Cameron Polson (16+) Meh
#61 Tom Williamson (17+) Meh
#65 Pat Kerr (4+) Meh

Rookied:
#5 Kym LeBois (0) Fail
#23 Alex Silvagni (7) Fail
#39 Andrew Gallucci (0) Fail

Cat B Rookie:
Ciaran Sheehan (6) Fail

Year 3 Carlton (2017)

Trades Out:
Bryce Gibbs (Good move)

Trades In:
Matthew Kennedy (22+) Fair
Matthew Lobbe (8) Fail
Darcy Lang (19+) Fair
Aaron Mullet (13) Fail

Drafted:
#3 Paddy Dow (39+) Good
#10 Lochie O'Brien (35+) Good
#30 Tom De Koning (2+) too soon
#70 Angus Schumacher (0) Fail
#78 Jarrod Garlett (13) Fail

Pre-season Draft:
Cam O'Shea (11) Fail

Rookied:
Matt Shaw (2) Fail

Cat B Rookie:
Cillian McDaid (0) Dunno

Last edited:

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
BTW: anyone got major problems with SOS coming on board?
More senior role than he currently enjoys at Carlton.
giphy (26).gif

Max the great

Premiership Player
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Who did he threaten with physical violence?

When are you going to admit you have a major conflict of interest with your position at the club and being a moderator on this public forum? There is no way you can remain objective as moderator with your involvement and VDS being permanently banned just highlights that. He had been on the forum years before you became a moderator I dont think its any surprise that he is now banned.
VDS could be anoying at times but permanent ban is very weird.

Yes, he has proven to be out of his depth in his time at Carlton

I think he's done okay. Their list is starting to take shape, he cut back pretty hard. Probably similar to what we have done in the last few years. He was pretty highly rated at the Saints when he was under Ross and people who have met him rate him highly.

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
If SOS is coming to us, then this adds weight to Lethlean becoming Essendon's CEO.
I'd hate for Lethlean to leave.

I’m not an ITK but I would be very surprised if Lethlean leaves the club. He has assembled a group of talented and sought after people in the football department and my impression is that he is likely to be heavily invested in its success.

I also noted that during recent weeks he was acting CEO, so it’s clear he is the CEO in waiting.

I would be surprised if our President hasn’t got a succession plan and timetable in place and that it’s likely Lethlean will be that successor. It wouldn’t surprise me if Lethlean’s title is soon changed to be Assistant CEO or some other corporate thing.

The club has moved back to Moorabbin and the commercial side of the club appears to be flourishing. We will probably be at a stage in our evolution (reasonably soon) when our next CEO needs to be more footy centric. Lethlean seems to be the ideal appointment to that role at that time.

Just my opinion.

And at GWS. They burnt more top 10 draft picks than most clubs have ever had in their histories under his reign.

This is horrible news if true.

Gold Coast prove he got a lot of them right as well. You can at least name a heap of guns that he recruited there. Jez Cameron, Toby Greene, Whitfield, Treloar, Kelly, Shiel, Coniglio, Dev Smith and Williams. Phil Davis and Cal Ward as recruits.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
So.......
From that small sample of responses, I guess the feeling of the board is: we would have major issues with such an appointment.
I would hate it. Hate it. I would be absolutely filthy if we lost Satan anyway, but to get SOS as a replacement would be like having my car stolen and a cardboard box with wheels painted on the side be left in its place.

Last edited:
Gold Coast prove he got a lot of them right as well. You can at least name a heap of guns that he recruited there. Jez Cameron, Toby Greene, Whitfield, Treloar, Kelly, Shiel, Coniglio, Dev Smith and Williams. Phil Davis and Cal Ward as recruits.

Not to bignote myself or anything, but even I could have got those recruits correct.

I prefer to look at at his less than successful history of drafting all the GWS rejects - many of whom really weren’t all that flash.

Giants held most of the top picks during the period those guys were drafted. So regardless who was in charge, it'd have looked the same, expect some minor changes.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Giants held most of the top picks during the period those guys were drafted. So regardless who was in charge, it'd have looked the same, expect some minor changes.
Yeah it was a lot like shooting fish in a barrel. They actually really butchered some of those really high picks due to picking for needs instead of the best talent and it backfired on them. O'Rourke at 2 being the best example of that.

Had they not burnt some of those they could have had an even more outrageously strong list.

It also needs to be remembered that they had significantly more startup concessions than Gold Coast did. In particular the mini draft thing, which netted them the picks that they got the likes of Josh Kelly with. Gold Coast didn't get that.

Last edited:

Simple Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Webber, Ricciardo, NE Patriots
While Gold Coast have s**t the bed no doubt, to be fair to them you'd have to point out that GWS have had an enormous advantage in the number of early picks. It's not even close.

You have to consider that 'mini-draft' bullshit too.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Yeah it was a lot like shooting fish in a barrel. They actually really butchered some of those really high picks due to picking for needs instead of the best talent and it backfired on them. O'Rourke at 2 being the best example of that.

Had they not burnt some of those they could have had an even more outrageously strong list.

It also needs to be remembered that they had significantly more startup concessions than Gold Coast did. In particular the mini draft thing, which netted them the picks that they got the likes of Josh Kelly with. Gold Coast didn't get that.

In their favor they recovered nicely from the O'Rourke situation.
2014 was a great round for bloopers.
Saints: McCartin
Hawks ": 19 for O'Rourke

But the Blues take the chocolates, cleverly getting 19 back after tading 7 for Whiley and Jaschshs, and using it on Boekhorst. ( Leaving us to snatch up Goddard and McKenzie :( ).

GWS took Ahern, later traded to Norf for pick 69. OHHH 69 ( Benny Hill type tittering ).

Back