Training 2020 Pre-Season

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Just watching the Round 5 Dees V Saints game. Completely forgot about this moment of glory.

Will say one thing though - the Dee's should benefit if Richo can help them begin to understand the word "pressure"

1575269111433.png

Last edited:
Yeah it was a lot like shooting fish in a barrel. They actually really butchered some of those really high picks due to picking for needs instead of the best talent and it backfired on them. O'Rourke at 2 being the best example of that.

Had they not burnt some of those they could have had an even more outrageously strong list.

It also needs to be remembered that they had significantly more startup concessions than Gold Coast did. In particular the mini draft thing, which netted them the picks that they got the likes of Josh Kelly with. Gold Coast didn't get that.

All clubs burn some high picks, not many were absolute spuds. I think even with concessions they did quite well. Carlton had the most first round picks ever assembled in one side last year, lots were their own. Some GWS rejects, players like Days etc.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
To any of the guys who have been watching the guys train has anyone seen Carlisle and how he is going , if he has a good season it going to give us a lot of options having Battle , Roberton , Wilkie , Howard , Austin , Clavarino , Marsh , Joyce and Brown.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Just watching the Round 5 Dees V Saints game. Completely forgot about this moment of glory.

Will say one thing though - the Dee's should benefit if Richo can help them begin to understand the word "pressure"

View attachment 788031
Ah our salad days on top of the ladder, along with the Suns IIRC. What a start! Wonder what 2019 would have been for us if we hadn't had all those injuries and Jack Steven had been in tip top shape.

Ah our salad days on top of the ladder, along with the Suns IIRC. What a start! Wonder what 2019 would have been for us if we hadn't had all those injuries and Jack Steven had been in tip top shape.
Almost all of our losses were blowouts which was why our percentage was so low. I doubt the guys that were injured would’ve made much of a difference in those games. That list took us as far as it could my friend, all our good start did was delay the inevitable.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I’m not an ITK but I would be very surprised if Lethlean leaves the club. He has assembled a group of talented and sought after people in the football department and my impression is that he is likely to be heavily invested in its success.

I also noted that during recent weeks he was acting CEO, so it’s clear he is the CEO in waiting.

I would be surprised if our President hasn’t got a succession plan and timetable in place and that it’s likely Lethlean will be that successor. It wouldn’t surprise me if Lethlean’s title is soon changed to be Assistant CEO or some other corporate thing.

The club has moved back to Moorabbin and the commercial side of the club appears to be flourishing. We will probably be at a stage in our evolution (reasonably soon) when our next CEO needs to be more footy centric. Lethlean seems to be the ideal appointment to that role at that time.

Just my opinion.
I wouldn't be so certain - Carlton seems like such an attractive club to move to ATM!! :)

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
One thing you gotta say about SOS is he that performed the quite spectacular
Miracle when he was at the Saints by getting Zac Dawon to look like a competent defender!

i would not be averse to us getting him in!
But i certainly do nor wanna see Lethlean leave now that we are gaining momentum
Least not to the Scum of Essendon.....Reckon he would have a hit out on Dildo
Within a week!

Looks like you got sucked in by us beating teams who were even more of a rabble than we were at the time , the moment we played a decent team we were put back in our box

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Looks like you got sucked in by us beating teams who were even more of a rabble than we were at the time , the moment we played a decent team we were put back in our box
So after winning 4 out of 5 including beating 3 sides that finished above us the year before you didn't get excited?

I'm guessing Christmas is not a big thing in the CaptainRisky household - bah humbug!!!

So after winning 4 out of 5 including beating 3 sides that finished above us the year before you didn't get excited?

I'm guessing Christmas is not a big thing in the CaptainRisky household - bah humbug!!!
I think im pretty level headed , we got all those sides at their worst for one reason or another , we fell over the line by a point over the GCS and the only half decent win was the Demons who are our bunnies , if that floats your boat good for you , I bet you were one of the mob saying we would beat the crows at home too .

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I think im pretty level headed , we got all those sides at their worst for one reason or another , we fell over the line by a point over the GCS and the only half decent win was the Demons who are our bunnies , if that floats your boat good for you , I bet you were one of the mob saying we would beat the crows at home too .
Hey - you can't get more level headed than me - that's why I enjoy Saints wins. You should try it - good for the soul!!!

In the first 5 games we beat GCS (17th 2018), Essendon (11th 2018), Melbourne (5th 2018) and Hawthorn (6th 2018) and apparently that's still not enough to get you excited and on the bandwagon.

Clearly lack of success has destroyed your resilience - I feel sorry for you - even Gringo still gets excited after wins!!! :)

Hey - you can't get more level headed than me - that's why I enjoy Saints wins. You should try it - good for the soul!!!

In the first 5 games we beat GCS (17th 2018), Essendon (11th 2018), Melbourne (5th 2018) and Hawthorn (6th 2018) and apparently that's still not enough to get you excited and on the bandwagon.

Clearly lack of success has destroyed your resilience - I feel sorry for you - even Gringo still gets excited after wins!!! :)
I do enjoy wins , i just didnt think beating those teams was going to be enough to send us up the ladder and why are you quoting where they finished in 2018 , take the p155 out of me all you like mate , at least i can keep it real , ps , get used to being down the bottom as we will be bottom 4 or 5 next year too , 2021 then it starts to get better ,

Has it , i still go and watch each week so you really know nothing about me ,

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
Miracle when he was at the Saints by getting Zac Dawon to look like a competent defender!

But i certainly do nor wanna see Lethlean leave now that we are gaining momentum
Within a week!
The miracle wasn’t that he turned Dawson into a capable defender. The miracle was not teaching Max to understand and be able to play “Zone” defence.

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda

Within a week!
There's no way we can let Lethers go.......that's not up for debate is it?...because I'd be devestated if so....with him on board I feel like we've got someone who is totally committed to the capability to be a c$*^t for us and not to us ....I AM HEARTENED BY HIS attitude and demeanor ....I certainly wouldn't want to be staring down both barrels of his negotiating firepower....I'm a fan for sure...he's like the devil the saints need on their side when 'pitchin' the impossible or at least the improbable or even implausible to 'the man' to give us the advantage...or at least so it seems and thats a start. HE'S DEFINITELY THE DUDE YOU WANT IN YOUR CORNER COME FIGHT NITE

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United

View attachment 788031
Then popped up a Facebook event:
2019 Grand Final St.Kilda vs TBC
😂

We were also playing under a fair amount of duress injury-wise, which made the wins pretty commendable.
All very well to look back at how the other teams eventually performed with hindsight, but at the time they were definitely expected to do better than us and we also had our problems with a very young back line, no Stuv etc.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
We were also playing under a fair amount of duress injury-wise, which made the wins pretty commendable.
All very well to look back at how the other teams eventually performed with hindsight, but at the time they were definitely expected to do better than us and we also had our problems with a very young back line, no Stuv etc.
Exactly. It's easy to sit here now after the season has played out at say our rd1 win wasnt any good but lets not forget that we ended 2018 on the same amount of wins as them and were entering that game with Darragh Joyce as our most experienced key defender and major question marks around whether we should have even selected Steven to play. We were under a lot of pressure to win that game, and heading into it were no certainties. In the context of where we were as a club at the time, it was a very good, fought out win that we needed.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Better to be level headed. Those who go over the top end up blaming everyone but the ability of the players.

I do enjoy wins , i just didnt think beating those teams was going to be enough to send us up the ladder and why are you quoting where they finished in 2018 , take the p155 out of me all you like mate , at least i can keep it real , ps , get used to being down the bottom as we will be bottom 4 or 5 next year too , 2021 then it starts to get better ,
What form were you judging those sides on so early in the year though? At that point in time 2018 was the truest form guide we had.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Maybe, I suspect more likely is Lethers gets promoted to COO at the Saints, and SOS comes in as Head of Footy. So the big dog can still keep him in line.

Why would we even want SOS? In racing parlance, "prefer others." Let me assure you, he ain't no genius. A rich man's Trout.

Back