Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Massive wraps on Parker. Can play tall and small and puts on defensive pressure. When he was fit/fresh and the team was up and about have a look at the impact he was having and the energy he brought to the group in the first 5 or 6 rounds. When the team fell away, so did he. Remember the guy was pretty much playing amateurs while working so was always going to fade pretty quickly.

He will be our highlight reel and will kick 25-30 goals this coming season bookmark it.

Massive wraps on Parker. Can play tall and small and puts on defensive pressure. When he was fit/fresh and the team was up and about have a look at the impact he was having and the energy he brought to the group in the first 5 or 6 rounds. When the team fell away, so did he. Remember the guy was pretty much playing amateurs while working so was always going to fade pretty quickly.

He will be our highlight reel and will kick 25-30 goals this coming season bookmark it.
Won’t play round 1

KFC is utter :poo:
Fantastic stuff. Eat it at least 3 times a week. Perfect hangover food. Should be compulsory in schools and especially kindergartens. We need to teach kids the habit of eating well before they become obese. I worked there from 15 to 18. The best 7 years of my life. That’s 33% of my life I was happy. If only the other 93% was just as good. Loving life. Loving kfc. That’s my moto.

It goes both ways though, picking up guys from lower leagues sure have the ability to improve in the full time professional environment but the guy will be 24 come round one and his improvement may not be as great.

We certainly do lack pressure in the forward line, Lonie doesn't seem that capable of physical pressure but I feel there's a spot for him.

I probably feel Butler and Lonie should play while Long should be close. But theres six or seven guys including Parker fighting for spots there.

Fantastic stuff. Eat it at least 3 times a week. Perfect hangover food. Should be compulsory in schools and especially kindergartens. We need to teach kids the habit of eating well before they become obese. I worked there from 15 to 18. The best 7 years of my life. That’s 33% of my life I was happy. If only the other 93% was just as good. Loving life. Loving kfc. That’s my moto.

You'd better cut back a bit Pluggs

mower.jpg

Just further on what I said this morning on what our general backline this year was like, and how we could literally field two better back 6's next season, if everyone was fit and available, here are the games played from that group last season:

Savage 22
Wilkie 22
Battle 19
Brown 16
D-Mac 15
Clark 14
Paton 13
Carlisle 10
Webster 8
Coffield 8
Geary 5
Robbo 0

So our general back 6 this year (from a most games-played perspective) was (with career games played at the start of the season in brackets):

B: Wilkie (0) Brown (167) D-Mac (34)
HB: Savage (141) Battle (7) Clark (15)

With Paton (3) having played the next most and probably on the bench for rotations.

Makes you wonder how we actually won 9 games with a backline like that for most of the year (with 3 of the 7 just 20yo, 4 having played just 25 games between them, going into the year, and 5 not having played 50 games!), and a midfield that basically didn't have Steven set foot in there all year, had Hannebery play just 5 games, Steele apparently playing injured for a chunk of the season, and Seb pretty much plodding along, until Ratts took over and he got his mojo back.

If we won 9 games (despite playing just 11 at Marvel for the season- we have 3 more in 2020) with all that being the case, it's not hard to see why plenty are seeing us as capable of playing finals if enough goes right.

Last edited:
Just further on what I said this morning on what our general backline this year was like, and how we could literally field two better back 6's next season, if everyone was fit and available, here are the games played from that group last season:

Savage 22
Wilkie 22
Battle 19
Brown 16
D-Mac 15
Clark 14
Paton 13
Carlisle 10
Webster 8
Coffield 8
Geary 5
Robbo 0

So our general back 6 this year (from a most games-played perspective) was (with career games played at the start of the season in brackets):

B: Wilkie (0) Brown (167) D-Mac (34)
HB: Savage (141) Battle (7) Clark (15)

With Paton (3) having played the next most and probably on the bench for rotations.

Makes you wonder how we actually won 9 games with a backline like that for most of the year (with 3 of the 7 just 20yo, 4 having played just 25 games between them, going into the year, and 5 not having played 50 games!), and a midfield that basically didn't have Steven set foot in there all year, had Hannebery play just 5 games, Steele apparently playing injured for a chunk of the season, and Seb pretty much plodding along, until Ratts took over and he got his mojo back.

If we won 9 games (despite playing just 11 at Marvel for the season- we have 3 more in 2020) with all that being the case, it certainly makes you wonder how many we could win next year, if enough goes right (especially injuries).
Injuries is never a reason for improving. I read last year how bad they were so we should improve because they won’t be as bad yet they were much worse. Forget injuries. We need to improve because the players are better. I don’t expect much improvement win wise but a fair bit of improvement percentage wise. We won a lot of close games this year. That normally works out 60 60 so we will probably lose more close games next year.

Pretty much this. Obviously he faded, as was probably expected (plus it's been reported that he finished the season with ankle and hand/finger injuries, that presumably slowed him down), but prior to that he showed plenty for us to get excited about going forward, I would have thought.

May not kill it this year, but I've got pretty high hopes for what he could do from his 3rd season onwards, once he's really AFL fit, and closer to the 50 game mark.

Going to be fascinating to see how many and which of Long, Lonie, Hind, Parker, Kent, Sinclair (who played all 22 games this year) and Butler get a regular game this year.

You wouldn't bat an eyelid if any of those 7 were in the team, yet there may be as few as 2 or 3 spots available for them (depending on where Gresh and Billings are playing).

Last edited:
Our coaches and the umpires see it completely differently. So do I. Im betting if we get a couple a good players in the midfield then dunstan is out certainly before maybe our new captain in Ross.
Dunstan gives his all but just doesn't hurt the team's we play - given the role he play's he has to get a lot of it and create clean clearances and what he has shown is he is no where near a top quality midfielder another reason no one attempted to get him in a trade.
Anyway he could come out and kill it this year and if he doesn't he could very well be playing for Sandringham.
I have a feeling Hannerbery , Gresham , Steele , Ross and Hunter Clark will be the main men in the middle this year.

Also Ryder is a very good ruckman but there is a reason Port recruited Lycett - Ryder being 32 and never being the aerobic beast like a Gawn or Grundy , his time as the main ruckman was over , also remembering he suffered a with a Achilles injury in 2018 which is the reason Port grabbed Lycett in 2019 because the Achilles could easily of flared up again and finished his career.

Anyway he is now with us and seeing he has dropped weight he could well be a very good player for us this year , but keeping him in the side as mainly a forward is something Port tried and it never worked.

I feel Marshall has to stay our main ruckman - he showed us this year how good he was - Ryder is the ideal backup ruckman and hopefully he plays when we play a team who fields 2 ruckmen.

Whatever happens we now have a far stronger ruck brigade with Marshall , Ryder , Abbott , Alakakas and Bell.

Having Max King playing in the forward line this year is also going to effect how many times we play Ryder , because surely having Battle , Membery and King in the forward line would be enough tall's and if Marshall needs a break in the ruck Howard has shown he could fill the spot.

Well we are a long way off the preseason games and anything could happen - I'm just hoping we have very few injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injuries is never a reason for improving. I read last year how bad they were so we should improve because they won’t be as bad yet they were much worse. Forget injuries. We need to improve because the players are better. I don’t expect much improvement win wise but a fair bit of improvement percentage wise. We won a lot of close games this year. That normally works out 60 60 so we will probably lose more close games next year.

OK i'll put it to you that Dan Hannebery is better, .......because he's not injured.
Max King is better........because he's not injured.
Dylan Roberton will play better .......because he can.
Bytel will play better......because he can.
Jarryn Geary will play better.................because his leg isn't broken.

Honestly Plugger, if you take a heap of the best players out of a side, don't you think the team will play worse, and they may improve the side when they come back in?

Apart from the injured, players who have improved a lot over the last season, and we hope to see more of are Clark, Battle and Marshall. All best 23 now. ( not sure about Battle fitting in the structures).
We would hope that Jones, Howard, Hill and Butler give us a better list too.

Some of its a bit iffy though...not sure the improvement from Brown to Howard is a huge amount for example ( though a much better long term prospect).

Webster 22 games = improvement.
Brown/Howard 22 games = improvement. ( even though i like big Darragh ).
Geary 22 games = improvement.
Roberton instead of McKenzie = Improvement.
Carlisle instead of Battle, a small improvemnt ...i think.
Jones instead of Newnes = Improvement.
Hill instead of Sinclair = some improvement.
Clark broke out last year, if he picks up and plays a whole season like he left off = Improvement.
Kent and Butler instead of Young ( and probably Long and Lonie too ) = Improvement.

Ruck's/Forwards we'll need to wait and see how it plays out.
Bruce probably a loss. Steven, probably not much of a loss on last season, though he did impact a couple of games.

Finally we have an explanation for your maths!
All that oily stuff obviously fried your brain 😉

Dimma had the luxury of a great midfield. I know people don’t believe I actually talk to him at my local footy club but I do. His son plays there and he even said that is the reason he can get away with a ruck on the bench. If it’s so 2017 then why are only a couple of sides having 2 rucks. It’s still 2020. Poor or ordinary midfield means you can’t have a bench spot wasted on a ruck so they have to be in the 18. Also as you say they only had 2 genuine tall forwards. Membery isn’t tall but plays like a tall forward. Bling Freddy would acknowledge that but even with only 2 marking forwards their second ruck was mainly a bench player. We will most likely have 3 marking forwards. We certainly can’t have 4. Would be madness. Not excited one little bit about Ryder and Marshall working together. What does excite me is Marshall rucking for 80% of the game and the young forward prospects of king and battle playing together. As for the little guys I said lonie kent and Gresham are my first options. If Gresham is in the middle then maybe hind plays. I’m not a butler fan but as a new player I expect to get many chances to prove its a good trade. Not a Parker fan either. Looks good but doesnt do much.

In saying all this I think my preferred forward is no hope until about round 6 when they realise the other isn’t working. Hopefully I’m wrong because that would mean a poor start to the season. With our midfield being so ordinary we need a good back and forward line.
So Dimma says he's playing two rucks because he reckons he's already got such a good midfield that he can afford to have "spuds" sitting on the bench making up numbers - wow what an arrogant p**** - and he did that all the way through the finals series including the GF!!!

Jeez - why is any other side even bothering to turn up next year if the Tige's can afford to take the p*** like that and still end up premiers.

But the reality of course is a completely different matter - Dimma (after a few false starts) fashions his game plan plan based around the strengths and weaknesses of the team he has at his disposal.

Yep - Richmond has a very good midfield but their plan is about halving ruck contests so that they can utilise that midfield strength - playing 2 ruckman then allowed them to utilise that strength for the whole of the game.

So its a simple progression of a game plan that wasn't available to them in 2017 when they didn't have a viable second ruckman.

OK i'll put it to you that Dan Hannebery is better, .......because he's not injured.
Max King is better........because he's not injured.
Dylan Roberton will play better .......because he can.
Bytel will play better......because he can.
Jarryn Geary will play better.................because his leg isn't broken.

Honestly Plugger, if you take a heap of the best players out of a side, don't you think the team will play worse, and they may improve the side when they come back in?

Yeah but you didn't take into account:

- Marshall's ACL in the opening round
- Membrey's chronic shoulder injuries which kept him to 6 games
- Hanners' hamstrings flaring up again in the second half of the year
- Hill's wrecked ankle in China which kept him out for the rest of the year

Pluggsy's point is that we assume that the guys who were injured are fit again and will play all the games, and there won't be any new injuries, but both of those are untrue.

GOAT no more 😥

LD3XgAv.jpg
HOLY Guacamole ! BATMAN!!!!

Last edited:
The club's media and inside knowledge they keep putting forward is A grade. Our social media dept is A grade.

Why the * are we whinging? There are pics of everything and videos everywhere. Instagram for example has s**t on there every day. Sign up to It.

When Johnny Ray says bookmark Insta, then bookmark the bloody thing.
I have spoken.

The club's media and inside knowledge they keep putting forward is A grade. Our social media dept is A grade.

Why the fu** are we whinging? There are pics of everything and videos everywhere. Instagram for example has s**t on there every day. Sign up to It.
All the complaints came before the club started putting out great videos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back