Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood regularly run a tactic where they change who is starting on the wing at every centre bounce rotating all their midfielders through there.

The club has said multiple times they see Jones playing mainly as an inside mid and off half back as well. No mention of him playing a lot on the wing like you keep saying he will.
So replace him with Ross. Inside mid and hb seem an interesting combination. Anyway you go with battle on the wing. I will go with back or forward. Surely there is a spot

Collingwood play 5 wingers? And who is there kp winger. The fascination in finding spots for players even if it makes the side worse confuses me. It confuses me more when we have gone out and recruited 2

Assuming Snake and Howard are our keys down back, supported by Robbo and / or Wilkie on the opposition 3rd tall fwd Battle will have to play fwd

I imagine a set up similar to-

XXXX Battle XXXX

XXXX Skunk King

I place Winx in the pocket because I'm mindful the club said they don't want him getting beaten up physically

Ryder on the bench rotating fwd with Roma, King, Battle and Skunk. Never more than 3 in the fwd line at any given time. Will take some juggling with our staff managing game time but it could work.

I want to talk about Battle.
Because he has been sadly overlooked in this thread.
Because he has some startling attribute.
And because I actually think he might become our most important player.

If Carlisle has pulled his finger out and Howard justifies the trade hype and cost, there’s the two preferred key backs.
And if Marshall and Ryder are rotating on field, and King also justifies the draft hype and cost, there’s the two key preferred forwards.
So where does Battle sit?
Is he best 22, or best 25?
Which group is he training with?
Where does the club see him fit within the team structure?
Where does the club see him long term?
Is he surplus?
Do we trade him for a Josh Kelly type?

Me?
I‘d love to see him develop into that key swing man/utility role that BJ filled because I reckon he would be damn good at it. Competition elite good.
You've still got a chubby from when you stood next to him in the lift sunny.
He does make an impression, thats for sure😏

Assuming Snake and Howard are our keys down back, supported by Robbo and / or Wilkie on the opposition 3rd tall fwd Battle will have to play fwd

I imagine a set up similar to-

XXXX Battle XXXX

XXXX Skunk King

I place Winx in the pocket because I'm mindful the club said they don't want him getting beaten up physically

Ryder on the bench rotating fwd with Roma, King, Battle and Skunk. Never more than 3 in the fwd line at any given time. Will take some juggling with our staff managing game time but it could work.
Exactly this..
Not as if they all play every game either.
We may just possibly have enough candidates that someone out of form could even just possibly, maybe, on the right occasion, with due concern, and with his overall best interests at heart, get DROPPED!!!

Better fixture better players more experience better game plan less egg plant more kfc
Agreed, P66. Under those conditions, we have a 63% chance of improving. 24% that we will stay the same. 36% that we will decline. You know it makes sense. Simple.

Exactly this..
We may just possibly have enough candidates that someone out of form could even just possibly, maybe, on the right occasion, with due concern, and with his overall best interests at heart, get DROPPED!!!

Or one is........

drumroll.gif

Injured

Exactly this..

Unlike both of you I don't think we have the midfield depth to carry a tall on the bench for nearly all the game. About 2 or 3 sides do that and their midfield is top 5 stuff. Ours in top 15 stuff.

Unlike both of you I don't think we have the midfield depth to carry a tall on the bench for nearly all the game. About 2 or 3 sides do that and their midfield is top 5 stuff. Ours in top 15 stuff.
Well unlike you, l think we should pile games into some of these kids, even if it's not ideal for structure.
We need to fast track some because we want to be contending in season 2022 with a window till 2030.

Unlike yourself I'm happy to see this season tipped into development of youth as a priority, because in 2021 l wanna see King, Battle, Clark, Coff in the starting 22 every single week. Throw Paton in that mix too.
That still leaves us with Clav, Bytel, Long, Parker and Byrnes to stake their claim as well.

We've got to invest games into these talented kids before it's too late. Now is the time, not next year or the one after..

Well unlike you, l think we should pile games into some of these kids, even if it's not ideal for structure.
We need to fast track some because we want to be contending in season 2022 with a window till 2030.

Unlike yourself I'm happy to see this season tipped into development of youth as a priority, because in 2021 l wanna see King, Battle, Clark, Coff in the starting 22 every single week. Throw Paton in that mix too.
That still leaves us with Clav, Bytel, Long, Parker and Byrnes to stake their claim as well.

We've got to invest games into these talented kids before it's too late. Now is the time, not next year or the one after..
I’m unsure that is the topic so I’m unsure how you know what I wish to do. Suits me what you say. No Ryder so no issue with battle as a forward. Been my preferred option all along. All I know is we were talking about a tall on the bench for all the game and my reason for thinking it’s not a good idea. Also probably means on of your preferred young options is in the seconds.

While Sinclair being rated Elite shows how irrelevant Champion Data's ranking systems are, how he got that rating makes slightly more sense than how Hugh Greenwood is elite despite all the gun midfielders in the comp, or Daw gets elite despite not playing in 2019.

The year that Sinclair got an Elite rating, there was only about 6-8 players in CD's Wing category and there system overrates contested possessions so despite his overall rankings being mid tier, he averaged a decent amount of CP's a game so he was still one of the highest in the wing category since that bar was so low and someone in there had to be ranked elite.

Thanks BT. That helps. I am - admittedly - no fan of Sinclair, and judge him harshly compared to others who are just as ineffectual. For mine Sinclair is guilty of coasting during games, relying on a smooth passage of play here and there, rather than actually trying...particularly over the last two seasons. For me he sits firmly within a strong contingent of players whom have relied on the over all sub par standards of the team (and injuries) to be gifted games and fly under the radar. I would think he is aware that he is now going to have to go up the gears a bit if he intends to maintain a career. He has the ability to be a good player, especially if the standards of the team improve...hopefully, for his sake and the teams, he'll want to do it.

Hey, I’ve always thought Carlisle has be playing key position (lock-down) defender out of necessity rather than preference. I see him more as a very tall intercepting defender, something more in the Roberton/McGovern style. In other words, his best attribute is reading the ball in air and marking in pack.

Any reason he can’t play that role, on oppositions 3rd forward in same team and Battle and Dougal at FB and CHB? With Geary, Webster, Wilkie and others rotating / as needed, defence looking very solid for 2020 and beyond.

Go Saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks BT. That helps. I am - admittedly - no fan of Sinclair, and judge him harshly compared to others who are just as ineffectual. For mine Sinclair is guilty of coasting during games, relying on a smooth passage of play here and there, rather than actually trying...particularly over the last two seasons. For me he sits firmly within a strong contingent of players whom have relied on the over all sub par standards of the team (and injuries) to be gifted games and fly under the radar. I would think he is aware that he is now going to have to go up the gears a bit if he intends to maintain a career. He has the ability to be a good player, especially if the standards of the team improve...hopefully, for his sake and the teams, he'll want to do it.
Sinclair could be victim of what coaches wanted him to do, I watched a fair bit of what they had a lot of these guys doing and found Billings and Sinclair where filling holes in our backline .
Don't get me wrong , I feel if Sinclair doesn't get more of the ball he will not be playing in the 22.

To me if Carlisle can have a top season it will totally change the way we play - having a top line tall intercept marker in the backline takes the heat off the backline.

Carlisle did play last year but was no way near his best football - but the game against Fremantle where he hardly touched the ball for 3 quarters and then in the last just dominated the game - won us the game - Ross Lyon's comments summed up how well he played in the last quarter saying they just couldn't pass the guy.

Having not a good but a dominate back line is massive and having a fully fit Carlisle , Roberton and Webster is game changing - not to mention Howard who can be pivotal playing in any key position when required.

We now have a strong squad and if we get to field it every week we are going to be a threat in the finals.

Having Carlisle the fittest he has been in years and knowing he has to be playing top football to get his contract value up spells for a good year for the guy.
If he has a good year he could easily be a All Australian next year - but it will all come down to his ability to stay injury free.
Gresham posting the best ever time trail , might be a sign he could be ready to take the reins in the middle.
Having a fullback who will mark the football and kick is going to be a positive down back.
3 marking targets in the forward line is going to cause problems to many clubs and I'm hoping Battle has a bigger impact than what Naughton had with the dogs and King developing in a forward pocket and being dangerous - where his brother was playing as the main target for the Suns.

Having the smalls to cause havoc will be the reason why we will be winning games - Hill , Billings , Jones , Hannerbery , Gresham , Ross and Steele all have the ability to pick up plenty of the football and when you have one or 2 winning their positions it leads to bringing the pressure off other players and we could well see players absolutely growing another leg next year because of it.

Hey, I’ve always thought Carlisle has be playing key position (lock-down) defender out of necessity rather than preference. I see him more as a very tall intercepting defender, something more in the Roberton/McGovern style. In other words, his best attribute is reading the ball in air and marking in pack.

Any reason he can’t play that role, on oppositions 3rd forward in same team and Battle and Dougal at FB and CHB? With Geary, Webster, Wilkie and others rotating / as needed, defence looking very solid for 2020 and beyond.

Go Saints.
Doesn’t have the agility for it, he’s 200cm and moves like he’s every bit of it. Better off playing on a key position player and marking off them instead of having a smaller player run rings around him.

Go Saints.
Carlisle is one of the best intercepting defender's when fit , last year he played a lock down role as you say out of necessity.
Having Howard , Wilkie and Roberton will solve that problem - I also believe Logan Austin and Clavarino are AFL players.
Clavarino had a bad year because he missed the start of the season due to injury and he showed as the season went on he got better - the last game for Sandringham he was named best on ground.
Logan Austin as we know wasn't seen last year due to his shoulder operation , but it must be remembered the guy averaged better stats ,19.7 touches a game than what Savage did last year so don't be surprised if he sticks his hand up for a game.

Doesn’t have the agility for it, he’s 200cm and moves like he’s every bit of it. Better off playing on a key position player and marking off them instead of having a smaller player run rings around him.
he will play the same role that McGovern plays at CHB , which is a intercepting defender

Carlisle is one of the best intercepting defender's when fit , last year he played a lock down role as you say out of necessity.
Having Howard , Wilkie and Roberton will solve that problem - I also believe Logan Austin and Clavarino are AFL players.
Clavarino had a bad year because he missed the start of the season due to injury and he showed as the season went on he got better - the last game for Sandringham he was named best on ground.
Logan Austin as we know wasn't seen last year due to his shoulder operation , but it must be remembered the guy averaged better stats ,19.7 touches a game than what Savage did last year so don't be surprised if he sticks his hand up for a game.

If Austin and Clav are playing we will have had fair few injuries. Clav may improve but he is so bloody slow. Anyway height isnt an issue down back. If anything we could be to tall.

Don’t care how the team lines up next year, and of competition for spots is hot, great, I don’t if any big names miss out.
The only non negotiable for mine is Wilkie. He was a revelation this year and will improve quickly with a year under his belt as a (young) mature age. Has Sam Fisher 2.0 written all over him. Given Robo, Webster and Snake all likely to start def 6, it’d be easy for him to be the hard luck story. That’d be a huge error in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Austin and Clav are playing we will have had fair few injuries. Clav may improve but he is so bloody slow. Anyway height isnt an issue down back. If anything we could be to tall.
Yeah agree - I can't see more than 3 talls playing down back - Carlisle , Howard and Roberton which leaves Sandringham with a team full of tall defenders.
Austin
Wilkie
Marsh
Brown
Clavarino
Joyce

I want to talk about Battle.
Because he has been sadly overlooked in this thread.
Because he has some startling attribute.
And because I actually think he might become our most important player.

If Carlisle has pulled his finger out and Howard justifies the trade hype and cost, there’s the two preferred key backs.
And if Marshall and Ryder are rotating on field, and King also justifies the draft hype and cost, there’s the two key preferred forwards.
So where does Battle sit?
Is he best 22, or best 25?
Which group is he training with?
Where does the club see him fit within the team structure?
Where does the club see him long term?
Is he surplus?
Do we trade him for a Josh Kelly type?

Me?
I‘d love to see him develop into that key swing man/utility role that BJ filled because I reckon he would be damn good at it. Competition elite good.
Should be starting CHB goin gonna into round one 1 or at least on a flank yes we’ve brought in new guys, yes guys coming back from injury and yes we must take into account pre season. However Battle performed when our team had given up , he performed at the end of the season when our season was done and he’s young and up and coming. We have to play him and let him become elite.

I think people need to find a summer sport that will hold them over until February.

I don't watch cricket but the NFL and the EPL keep me chugging along until the footy is back. It's not such a long wait when you have other teams to look forward to watch.
Unless your fantasy team is riddled with injuries and averaging under 100 🙄

Sinclair could be victim of what coaches wanted him to do, I watched a fair bit of what they had a lot of these guys doing and found Billings and Sinclair where filling holes in our backline .
Don't get me wrong , I feel if Sinclair doesn't get more of the ball he will not be playing in the 22.

To me if Carlisle can have a top season it will totally change the way we play - having a top line tall intercept marker in the backline takes the heat off the backline.

Carlisle did play last year but was no way near his best football - but the game against Fremantle where he hardly touched the ball for 3 quarters and then in the last just dominated the game - won us the game - Ross Lyon's comments summed up how well he played in the last quarter saying they just couldn't pass the guy.

Having not a good but a dominate back line is massive and having a fully fit Carlisle , Roberton and Webster is game changing - not to mention Howard who can be pivotal playing in any key position when required.

We now have a strong squad and if we get to field it every week we are going to be a threat in the finals.

Having Carlisle the fittest he has been in years and knowing he has to be playing top football to get his contract value up spells for a good year for the guy.
If he has a good year he could easily be a All Australian next year - but it will all come down to his ability to stay injury free.
Gresham posting the best ever time trail , might be a sign he could be ready to take the reins in the middle.
Having a fullback who will mark the football and kick is going to be a positive down back.
3 marking targets in the forward line is going to cause problems to many clubs and I'm hoping Battle has a bigger impact than what Naughton had with the dogs and King developing in a forward pocket and being dangerous - where his brother was playing as the main target for the Suns.

Having the smalls to cause havoc will be the reason why we will be winning games - Hill , Billings , Jones , Hannerbery , Gresham , Ross and Steele all have the ability to pick up plenty of the football and when you have one or 2 winning their positions it leads to bringing the pressure off other players and we could well see players absolutely growing another leg next year because of it.
Big Jakey gonna go big dis year!
Bookmark it

Don’t care how the team lines up next year, and of competition for spots is hot, great, I don’t if any big names miss out.
The only non negotiable for mine is Wilkie. He was a revelation this year and will improve quickly with a year under his belt as a (young) mature age. Has Sam Fisher 2.0 written all over him. Given Robo, Webster and Snake all likely to start def 6, it’d be easy for him to be the hard luck story. That’d be a huge error in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wilkie showed his value this year - every time he got the football I knew we where getting the ball safely delivered out of defense - Roberton has a long way to go before he dislodges him due to his problems / and it has to be remembered the guy was captain of the SAFL premiership team he played with and is still only 23.

Geary is another who knows he has to make hay while the goings good because the younger guys will be fighting for positions - Paton , Coffield , Hunter Clark , McKenzie , Webster , Savage , Jones and even Long will be fighting for spots and just about all of them have better disposal than Geary.

You have lost the plot. If you miss having 6 or 7 best 22 players for a year and then they play the following, of course you will improve. What universe are you living in.
The universe that says the same injuries will happen to the same people

Remove this Banner Ad

Back