Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure mate
Normally 3 to 6 weeks and its my 7th week now, can last for months :(
had 2 weeks where i couldn't get out bed and lost the vision in my right eye for a week lol
seriously have never felt pain like it.
but today has been the best i have felt for a long time
Mowman , bloody sounds shocking , hope you get better fast - doesn't sound any good.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is the first year you have to pay.
But I don't think its anywhere near as expensive as AFL entry..
Gonna be an interesting yr for the women Plugger. But even if their crowds are halved because peeps have to pay they will still get bigger crowds than the VFL.
Interesting growing pains ahead I think.
The 4 New teams will have Free entry at Home Games in 2020

Jesus Mowie, how long do they think it will take to get over it?
Not sure mate
had 2 weeks where i couldn't get out bed and lost the vision in my right eye for a week lol
I can vouch for Mowmans discomfort.
As him and myself both had shingles at the same time and were sending each other PMs discussing the pain.
Thankfully mine has all cleared up .
Mine went for about a month. And as Mowman said the pain is just fartking crazy.
The left side of my body felt like extreme sunburn for about 3 weeks . Wearing a shirt or sitting in a car seat was a nightmare.
Luckily for me the pain was all on my torso and not on my face or eyes.
Fingers crossed you've turned the corner Mowman and youll be 100% soon mate.

iF the players wish to demonstrate their compassion and care why don't they donate what round one represents in terms of a percentage of their yearly income. And the AFL do the same.
Why have a half baked STATE type game
They may have donated already. And they want to play a game to help. I can’t believe how negative a lot seem to be.

Not sure mate
My mate has had it for nearly 3 months now. He said something like one in 5 have it for that long. He is one of those ones.

They may have donated already. And they want to play a game to help. I can’t believe how negative a lot seem to be.
yeah your right it is negative isnt it......you know what ....damn it ...lets have a SOO game what the hell....it might be just the thing to solve throat cutting on this cite and aid those so much in need.. at least two birds with one stone......cant be bad....

i dont think a player playing or not playing in the game is going to change peoples lives ... the donation will but the actual game wont make much differance
It doesnt matter if its a Hill or a Phillips playing we shouldn't not want them playing because there is a chance they may get injured and its a combination of the money that they will raise for the victims plus the fact its the first time in about 20 years these stars have pulled on the boots for a game of this type even if some want to call it mickey mouse,
I think the people in the effected areas that watch the game will get a kick out of it knowing they are playing to help them out

It doesnt matter if its a Hill or a Phillips playing we shouldn't not want them playing because there is a chance they may get injured and its a combination of the money that they will raise for the victims plus the fact its the first time in about 20 years these stars have pulled on the boots for a game of this type even if some want to call it mickey mouse,
I think the people in the effected areas that watch the game will get a kick out of it knowing they are playing to help them out
It'll be a success regardless because; firstly, Many are desperate for any quality football..hell any football, and importantly any monies raised is a result. Notwithstanding that there may or may not be better ideas..its an idea that is doable and assures an audience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be just me but I actually see a lot of benefit in our players playing in the SOS.

This is a side that hasn't played finals in 9 years. Many of our players do not know what playing finals at the highest level is.

We also have a lack of big marque games with a big crowd.

I think having them playing in a big game with big exposure against the best in the comp is nothing but a great opportunity for them and by extension the club.

Don't like my inside knowledge, don't read it. Others appreciate it. Pretty simple.
I'm not disputing your inside knowledge brother!
Was just suggesting that you could/should give pills or medication a try!

Its really not that serious at all man!
Pretty much 90% of the worlds population are on some form or another!

I'm not disputing your inside knowledge brother!
Was just suggesting that you could/should give pills or medication a try!

Its really not that serious at all man!
Pretty much 90% of the worlds population are on some form or another!

Ok. No worries. I haven't had a pill in 20 years if you know what I mean.

Might be just me but I actually see a lot of benefit in our players playing in the SOS.

This is a side that hasn't played finals in 9 years. Many of our players do not know what playing finals at the highest level is.

We also have a lack of big marque games with a big crowd.

I think having them playing in a big game with big exposure against the best in the comp is nothing but a great opportunity for them and by extension the club.
Have to agree here.

Not normally an SEN listener, but had it on the other day. Campbell Brown and someone (I think Dal) were talking origin. Campbell Brown recalled how educational it was to watch pros like Judd, Scarlett etc prepare (remember this is a guy that played with Mitchell, Roughy etc). Said that you see all these stars from a distance bet never really get to see how they tick up close. Said the small tips and tricks he learned at training / over a beer (not the game itself) were invaluable for his career.

The thing that really got my attention though was his story of Nathan Foley. Pre Origin Foley was a decent player but had never played finals, never really done much. Would have been about the last bloke picked but said it all seemed to fall into place for him that week. At training he realised he could mix it with the best. Went out and was BOG in the origin game. Had his best year after etc. In the last few pages I think we are underselling what a week next to Danger, Fyfe, Pendles, Grundy etc could do for a Marshall, Billings or Members. They don't have a Lenny, Harves or Hamill to follow day in day out. A week learning from and becoming friends with Selwood or Sloane could be invaluable to their development. Mentors don't have to live at Linton st. Plus having a big V jumper framed on your wall gives you something to tick off in terms of career development / achievements. Its not like our club has offered many opportunities for that in the last 8 years.

And for those worried about injury, he recalled that for first 3 and a half quarters it was pretty bruise free. The players deliberately kept it pretty open and wanted to showcase skills rather than work too hard (some sort of unspoken understanding that no one really wanted to get hurt). Noted he had weekly match sim sessions that were more physical. Did say it got pretty willing for the last 15 minutes though when the instinct to win kicked in. Given we have almost no September experience on the list, this might be the closest thing to a finals atmosphere our boys might have experienced. No harm in a 15 minute glimpse into what that might feel like (crowd, pressure etc).

Besides injuries can happen anywhere. The ones that have impacted our last 18 months the most are a heart condition (Robbo), mental health (Steven), a back condition (Carlisle from his time at Essendon), concussion (Paddy), and now a foot injury from a back step (Hanners). Can happen to anyone, anywhere. FFS Mundy just broke his leg riding a bike.

All upside for any player involved as far as I can see.

Have to agree here.

Not normally an SEN listener, but had it on the other day. Campbell Brown and someone (I think Dal) were talking origin. Campbell Brown recalled how educational it was to watch pros like Judd, Scarlett etc prepare (remember this is a guy that played with Mitchell, Roughy etc). Said that you see all these stars from a distance bet never really get to see how they tick up close. Said the small tips and tricks he learned at training / over a beer (not the game itself) were invaluable for his career.

The thing that really got my attention though was his story of Nathan Foley. Pre Origin Foley was a decent player but had never played finals, never really done much. Would have been about the last bloke picked but said it all seemed to fall into place for him that week. At training he realised he could mix it with the best. Went out and was BOG in the origin game. Had his best year after etc. In the last few pages I think we are underselling what a week next to Danger, Fyfe, Pendles, Grundy etc could do for a Marshall, Billings or Members. They don't have a Lenny, Harves or Hamill to follow day in day out. A week learning from and becoming friends with Selwood or Sloane could be invaluable to their development. Mentors don't have to live at Linton st. Plus having a big V jumper framed on your wall gives you something to tick off in terms of career development / achievements. Its not like our club has offered many opportunities for that in the last 8 years.

And for those worried about injury, he recalled that for first 3 and a half quarters it was pretty bruise free. The players deliberately kept it pretty open and wanted to showcase skills rather than work too hard (some sort of unspoken understanding that no one really wanted to get hurt). Noted he had weekly match sim sessions that were more physical. Did say it got pretty willing for the last 15 minutes though when the instinct to win kicked in. Given we have almost no September experience on the list, this might be the closest thing to a finals atmosphere our boys might have experienced. No harm in a 15 minute glimpse into what that might feel like (crowd, pressure etc).

Besides injuries can happen anywhere. The ones that have impacted our last 18 months the most are a heart condition (Robbo), mental health (Steven), a back condition (Carlisle from his time at Essendon), concussion (Paddy), and now a foot injury from a back step (Hanners). Can happen to anyone, anywhere. FFS Mundy just broke his leg riding a bike.

Ripping post. I didn't know that about brown and foley.

After reading it I'm hoping players like Billings, Gresham, Ross, Battle, Marshall get a look in. I know there's a 3 player limit but I'm hoping some of our young to mid range crew get a look in for their own development.

I also agree - playing against, and ALONGSIDE some of the best, will be a huge boon for whichever of our players are picked. I'm sure there'll at least be a couple of training runs, where they'll get to see how the top-8 team players prepare, how the top key forwards run their patterns, how the top mids deliver to those players, and if they can bring that back to our own training, we might see some of it translate into learning and improved structure for our team too.

And it will be proper footy - not an AFLX abomination.

Hopefully played in a manner which doesn't see significant injuries incurred by any team, which sees some attractive footy, high scoring, and maybe lures a few more people along to some games during the season.

In a way, I'd like a couple of our emerging players to get a look - even though we have a few players who may be more "deserving" - could be the impetus to drive them from "emerging" to "breakout" performers. Probably won't happen, but it would be good. Another thought would be having each team send a few extra players down to training so that a bit of match sim in the leadup might give the teams more cohesion on the night, as well as giving the above benefit to some of the non-selections (wouldn't hurt guys like Battle, Clark, Wilkie, for example, to get a match-sim training run, with the "unlucky" players from the other teams against the selected team)

Bish

Last edited:
Have to agree here.

good post animal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back