Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait... champion data rates Northā€™s list as 6th best in the AFL?

What am I missing?

You're missing that CD are a bunch of incompetent flogs. After all, they rate Daw as elite

So from what I have read over the past pages, we should have kept Bruce and Acres, got nobody in the trade period and be happy with coming 11th again.

It is now 2020 and we have not played a final in 9 years or one at the MCG for a decade.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing the Saints playing finals again instead of bumping about down the bottom.

How is that an either or situation? If all we have to do is trade out players to get to finals we should have done it years ago.

What am I missing?

Players like Higgins, Goldy and Brown must rate elite in their categories I guess.

Players like Higgins, Goldy and Brown must rate elite in their categories I guess.

These are their elite players according to the nongs at CD

20200119_212518.jpg

What am I missing?
I don't think they're that good, but with 15 on their list who are currently 27yo or older (compared to our 8), and 9 of the top 10 in their B&F being 27yo+, their list profile suggests they should be in serious premiership contention.

They were good enough to go 8-5 after they gave Scott the ass, so if they maintain that form, they play finals.

We're likely to have to play really well to beat them in R1.

Last edited:
I hope a few on here can get along to give us a report or two
Same. I can only get down on Thursdays so once the season starts I'll be able to send through a few updates (main training during season is usually Thurs).

Am surprised at the pessimism over Ryder. Only couple of years ago was AA. Out of stale environment now and seems ready for new challenge, not just coaches but players lauding his input. If he is only average I would be surprised.

Josh B gone to be replaced by another Josh B who roams, challenges and has an even better capacity to get to contests and compete. I know which one I'd prefer to have but all the best to the departed.

I, for one, think the draw is perfect for us. Beat north then challenge the top teams before they get on a roll. If all goes well, push for finals. If all goes awry, easy run home to give confidence and momentum to our 2021 run.

More options all over the park and a coach who seems better equipped to move the chess pieces. For me it is a better position to be in than this time last year. Bring it on!

And thanks for the updates from training. Very much appreciated from o/s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first game against north is huge for both sides. We really must win that

A win to start the year would be fantastic, but I can see us being a bit like the Lions in 2018...many close losses...and steady improvement as the year goes on. If we can reign in the blow outs where we're getting smashed by 40 points six weeks at a time, and get into double figure wins, I'll be happy.

[QUOTE="BrutThough, post: 64]
This whole 'Bruce is going to dominate now he is elsewhere' storyline is exactly the same thing we have heard when every other player has left. Yet that have performed exactly like they did when they played for us.

Josh bruce is far closer to ben mcevoy than the likes of say darren minchington and co.

We knew at the time we were giving up serious quality when trading mcevoy- but we (at the time, not in hindsight) were richly compensated by (in theory) replacing him with (in theory) a gun young ruckman (longer) and 2 gun young mids (pick 18 and savage).

No such rich compensation this time around though, we gave up bruce for a proverbial packet of twisties (uncontracted jones), who we could have acquired without losing bruce.

The best hope is that the club remain confident on snaring ben king at somepoint, hence the willingness to let contracted bruce go for well unders.

I'm looking forward to seeing battle go head to head with bruce when we play the dogs
[/QUOTE]

I'm looking forward to a fit & highly motivated Carlisle playing on Bruce.
Boom.

Butler in 2017 averaged around 29.9 goals for the season (full season) so if he plays, say replacing Parker & reaches the same stats, we only need King/resting ruckmen to kick 26 goals & we are breaking even.

Stats are a wonderful thing. šŸ˜ But they donā€™t always work out the way we want.šŸ¤­

I'm hoping there'll be room in the team for Parker. I'd say he'll be in & out of the team, but hoping he comes good as the season progresses. There is upside to him, think he could be a very handy player if he stays motivated.

I'm hoping there'll be room in the team for Parker. I'd say he'll be in & out of the team, but hoping he comes good as the season progresses. There is upside to him, think he could be a very handy player if he stays motivated.
I'm of the same opinion, was only using his goal stats as an example.

Another call for people to join in the Big Footy player sponsorship. Boydie could still use some more pledges and payments. It's a small $25 per share and you go into the raffle to go to events which have player access and usually memorabilia and merchandise only for sponsors.

The first event is at the start of February so join now if you are keen. You also get the bragging badge on your avatar and sponsors won't judge you for being cheap if you have one.

Boydie has his account details on this link and all you need to do is tell him you are in and send through the dollars. I think we are going with Doulton Langlands this year. His name alone is worth the money.

How is that an either or situation? If all we have to do is trade out players to get to finals we should have done it years ago.
Well with Bruce and Acres we never came close to finals, with the new players we might.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure you have bemoaned the fact our list and players have been poor for seasons.

I sort of get the argument re Bruce, but think the new strategy is sound, but the angst re Acres is hard to fathom, was the epitome of why we were also rans.

Our list was in a rut, our coaching stale, we kept repeating the same thing expecting different results. Well doing that we would never make finals.

To argue as some have, we wont score goals because Bruce has gone is curious to say the least in my opinion.

Yeah - he's an interesting one simply because his height takes him out of the genuine small forward role but he was our 3rd best goal kicker for the season.

Last year it was pretty much Bruce, Membrey and Parker and 3 smalls. So it looks like one of Ryder/Marshall are going to play forward so if King comes in then do we still play two medium talls (Membrey and Parker) and only 2 genuine smalls (Gresh and Kent/Lonie/Butler/Hind) or just Membrey and 3 smalls.

I really like the point of difference that Parker brings to the forward line and the key might be how much midfield time they are expecting Gresh to play this year.

Yep. I reckon the best we can hope for is 3-3 after 6. Wins against North, Melb and Adel. Can't see us beating Richmond, WC (even at Marvel) or Geelong down at the cattery.

That North game suddenly looks crucial
Your game saying we will beat the crows , they were in horrible form when he played them at home and they still flogged us

Josh bruce is far closer to ben mcevoy than the likes of say darren minchington and co.

We knew at the time we were giving up serious quality when trading mcevoy- but we (at the time, not in hindsight) were richly compensated by (in theory) replacing him with (in theory) a gun young ruckman (longer) and 2 gun young mids (pick 18 and savage).

No such rich compensation this time around though, we gave up bruce for a proverbial packet of twisties (uncontracted jones), who we could have acquired without losing bruce.

The best hope is that the club remain confident on snaring ben king at somepoint, hence the willingness to let contracted bruce go for well unders.

I'm looking forward to seeing battle go head to head with bruce when we play the dogs

Boom.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think even a fully fit and flying jake has close to the tank to go with bruce.
Bruce is a pretty tricky matchup for any side- especially when he's not spilling marks.

Also throw in Naughton to contend with too.

Last edited:
Boom.

I don't think even a fully fit and flying jake has close to the tank to go with bruce.
Bruce is a pretty tricky matchup for any side- especially when he's not spilling marks.

Also throw in Naughton to contend with too.
[/QUOTE]
Then we could do Howard on Bruce and Carlilse on Naughton. Either way, think Doggies will be very hard to beat this year

Your game saying we will beat the crows , they were in horrible form when he played them at home and they still flogged us

I never said we WILL beat them, just that they are one of 3 opponents we should be competitive with and they present our best chances of early wins against.

But yeah, we will beat them. šŸ¤£

Well with Bruce and Acres we never came close to finals, with the new players we might.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure you have bemoaned the fact our list and players have been poor for seasons.

I sort of get the argument re Bruce, but think the new strategy is sound, but the angst re Acres is hard to fathom, was the epitome of why we were also rans.

Our list was in a rut, our coaching stale, we kept repeating the same thing expecting different results. Well doing that we would never make finals.

To argue as some have, we wont score goals because Bruce has gone is curious to say the least in my opinion.

Simple stat is that Bruce consistently kicked close to a couple of goals per game average. (While people were saying how bad our midfield supply was ).
That's more than any of our smalls ( apart from Gresham as a forward ).
That's more than any previous work we've seen from Battle.
That's more than Ben King last year.
That's more than Ryder has done to date.

So why is it curious?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back