Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

When you over achieve it is because you are perceived externally to be inferior to those whom you are outperforming.
The Saints are over achieving every time we win, just as the other teams are underperforming whenever they lose to us. Just look at the commentary surrounding a St.Kilda vs. Gold Coast match. Two losers having a tug fest to see who is marginally better. Then see how Carlton is perceived when playing Gold Coast...and people wonder why Saints fans have a chip on their shoulder (and proud of it by the way...f*CK 'em)
I think the problem with Richo, was that he couldn't consistently get the best out of what he had on the ground on any given day, and when we did win, there was talk of over-achieving, but it was more like the team played to their full potential, but Richo could never get consistency happening, injuries aside.

With our existing rucks out of action, Marshall ( a Rookie pick ) was amazing . = overperform.
With our best mids , going into the season expected to be Steven and Hannebery. Gresham performing like he did at the ballups = overperform.
With Carlisle missing the first half of the season - Battle becoming a CHB = overperform.

Did we have a starting 22 thread before the season, i'd be very surprised if many people had a team that looked anything like what played each week.

I think the problem with Richo, was that he couldn't consistently get the best out of what he had on the ground on any given day, and when we did win, there was talk of over-achieving, but it was more like the team played to their full potential, but Richo could never get consistency happening, injuries aside.
I think a lot the problem was Richo

We are in much better position now that he is gone

I think a lot the problem was Richo

We are in much better position now that he is gone

He was part of the problem but not all of the problem. He never had a good enough side to seriously challenge. If a good tradie is only as good as his tools, he was trying to frame a house with a paint scraper and a socket set.

He was part of the problem but not all of the problem. He never had a good enough side to seriously challenge. If a good tradie is only as good as his tools, he was trying to frame a house with a paint scraper and a socket set.
Good tradie makes sure he has the best possible tools he can as soon as he can

Richo was very negative and bland and sucked the confidence out of a lot players worried to much about what they couldn’t do instead of what they could do

Imo worse coach we have had and set the club back many years

Thats where he went wrong , he need a hammer and a crow bar , stupid man Richo

Good tradie makes sure he has the best possible tools he can as soon as he can

Richo was very negative and bland and sucked the confidence out of a lot players worried to much about what they couldn’t do instead of what they could do

Imo worse coach we have had and set the club back many years

When Choey was coded they failed to install the adaptive logic addon.

The biggest thing coming out of the Richardson era for me is that a good development coach dies not equate to a premiership points winning coach.

To be fair to Richardson there was a lot wrong with the club:

Ageing list
No depth
Bulging salary cap
Under performing recruitment
Disconnect from Moorabin
No continuity in our reserves
Underwhelming coaching team
Poor commercial performances

There was a LOT to be fixed.

Ah , so your saying Brown is one of our best players , Most on here didnt even pick him in our team for round 1 ,

Happy to disagree with them. But I think the reason for many not selecting him is because Doug should have time in the team, and snake is the obvious choice for the second tall defender.

Hence why I’m curious about snake going forward. Keeps more experience on the field, and helps structure.

I Feel like I’m losing the debate though so will admit the idea has its flaws and may not be the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to disagree with them. But I think the reason for many not selecting him is because Doug should have time in the team, and snake is the obvious choice for the second tall defender.

Hence why I’m curious about snake going forward. Keeps more experience on the field, and helps structure.

I Feel like I’m losing the debate though so will admit the idea has its flaws and may not be the best.
Nah mate , everyone is entitled to an opinion, all good, maybe you're right so I guess we will need to wait and see

Carlisle and Howard (barring injuries) will be our FB and CHB Rd 1. Battle 3rd tall back. Pencil them all in.

IMO Richo was like having the hand brake on, while trying to race a V8 Supercar...

Doesn't help when those in charge think he's a good builder.

Problem was literally everyone at the club thought you build the best house on street with only those tools.

Full of sales people with really no idea. Like if you talk about how great the house will be then it will be that great.

We need to move into an era where talk is cheap and all that matters is the actions and results.

I heard an interesting story from a friend who knows someone pretty high up at the Saints although I won't say who :D anyway he told me he asked this guy start of last year "how's it going at the Saints" and he responded "well it would help if we had a half decent coach".

I was never a big Richo bagger until late, but I know many others on here weren't impressed with him. Seems some on the inside shared those views.

Training today for those interested.

Yeah definitely Carlisle & Howard are the key defensive posts in match simulation.
Brown putting plenty of pressure on though so those guys have to perform
Pretty much entire list did match simulation today Geary , Alabakis , Parker & Ross only exceptions.
Battle rested ...( all good)
Bytel put scare through the camp tweaked a knee , after going thru whole range of tests got all clear.

Clark was the stand out in match simulation today .
But the guy who stood out for entire training session was Marsh ..significantly fitter this year.
They won’t be able to keep him out of team if he keeps it up , getting better & better.

Thought players in no particular order that stood out were Hill , Clark , Ryder , Jones , Billings , Coffield,
Marsh and Abbott ..... certainly emphasis is speed , run & carry.

Yeah definitely Carlisle & Howard are the key defensive posts in match simulation.
Pretty much entire list did match simulation today Geary , Alabakis , Parker & Ross only exceptions.
Bytel put scare through the camp tweaked a knee , after going thru whole range of tests got all clear.

But the guy who stood out for entire training session was Marsh ..significantly fitter this year.
They won’t be able to keep him out of team if he keeps it up , getting better & better.

Thought players in no particular order that stood out were Hill , Clark , Ryder , Jones , Billings , Coffield,
Thanks for all of the updates. Just so good. Quite like what Marsh was able to do last year coming off a very short entry point, will certainly be one to watch in 2020.

Great stuff. Thanks.
I'm enjoying the consistency of Coffield being mentioned time & again during this preseason. I know it's early, but it's great that he seems to be going up a gear, and enjoying himself. Hope it translates to regular game time this year.

Last edited:

Thanks for the update. Good to hear Bytel was just a scare rather than anything serious.

What has Ross injured? Didn't participate in match sim all week and he is someone who usually does every session rather than gets managed through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back