Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

The way those boys spoke of the story it went something like this...

It would of been roughly mid 2000s. The hawks were playing the eagles down at Tassie and Lonie was given a tagging role on Judd at the peak of his eagle powers.

It was close for much of the day with the eagles kicking away late and Judd didn’t break 20 touches but still had a slight impact apparently.

Anyway, post game they are all in the rooms and Clarko went round to each player. He stopped at Nathan and asked him how he felt he played today? Nathan said he felt he went Okay, Judd being Judd still had an impact but he thought he went “okay” .... apparently from the way the story was told to me a few years later. Clarko lost it, berated Lonie for accepting being s**t pretty much and told the room that if anyone wants to have this attitude they won’t play for him. Lonie played the majority of the second half of the year but barely games in the first half after that point. The only reason for the games later on was that there was a lot of injuries. Clarko moves him on during trade week and the rest is history.
Was enough to scare the s**t out of draftees and new players.

The definition of "okay" :cool:

nathan-lonie-of-hawthorn-chases-chris-judd-of-the-eagles-during-the-picture-id1900557

so it's Adelaide or Marvel?
Marvel is being used Saturday and Sunday as well.
So it is either Adelaide or a VFL ground or the move the match back to rd12 and we have our bye rd11.

Marvel on the Monday
Dont see Monday happening. That would turn the match from a money making scheme into the AFL making a loss for the 5000 people turning up on the Monday night. Would be more likely to move the game to rd12 when Marvel is free and make us have our bye rd11 instead.

Marvel is being used Saturday and Sunday as well.
So it is either Adelaide or a VFL ground or the move the match back to rd12 and we have our bye rd11.

Dont see Monday happening. That would turn the match from a money making scheme into the AFL making a loss for the 5000 people turning up on the Monday night. Would be more likely to move the game to rd12 when Marvel is free and make us have our bye rd11 instead.
Port and Stkilda on any day is not going to be a money maker that’s why it’s been moved to China

Yeah your Tiger mates were probably the very supporters screaming to sack Hardwick 4 years ago & laughed
loudly at Gale when he said they would have the largest membership in the AFL 4 years ago they have been
irrelevant for 30 years prior to it.

As for your arrogant Hawks mates Winter is coming .

100% they were, they were the most angry disenchanted "fans" you could imagine. Nothing they ever did was any good and even their beloved Richo would make them start declaring his missed shots before he'd taken them. One literally wanted both sacked and cut up his memberships several times and sent them to the club. It was an act knowing he had AFL membership and could get in next week anyway though. Dick heads both of them. Both now think they invented football and that Richmond is the greatest side in history. I can't wait for their fall. They are the worst fans in history when they are up. Rance leaving already gives me a great sense of well being, the krauts call it schadenfreude I believe.

Hawks have fallen already, they are living on past glory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never understood the concept of a supporter being arrogant about the feats of their club. It's not like they were out there actually contributing by getting a kick.

The level of success your club enjoys as an adult is all about luck in who you pick to support 20+ years earlier. Hardly reason to be cocky

Me either...well except for when we were good and I was a huge gloating w***er. I'm pretty sure it was endearing when I did it though. I still remember the trauma of sitting out at Waverley with my Hawks mate and rubbing his head patronisingly after we got out to some massive lead....only for Nathan Thompson to channel Lockett and * my day up. My mate drove and he made us sit around watching after match stuff and taking ages to get home. Pretty sure it probably rained on me that day too. I never liked Thommo after that.

Watching back the full saints v Bulldogs game from July. Jeez it's a good watch haha keeping the optimism high. Keep Lonie playing like that and he'll get a spot every week (obviously). Clarke and Coff look good there too.
Just a late night reminisce of a great game from us.

On CPH1719 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We sold the game, it will be somewhere the AFL want the game marketed. My guess FNQ. Won’t be in Melbourne.
If we have already sold the game and are held to that contract then we will still get paid the same amount by the AFL. If not the club should demand to high heaven that its a home game and we should damn well play it at Moorabbin.

We sold the home game so I imagine itd go ahead in Adelaide
Looking at news articles from last year, it sounds as if we didn't sell the whole game to Port, just parts of it.

The two statements I can find on it are "the Saints will pass on some rights of one home game to Port Adelaide" from some FAQ about the game and "Saints effectively sell the rights to their entire home-game experience, meaning Port, who kickstarted the AFL's push into China, are able to operate the entertainment." from an article in The Age.

When Gold Coast sold their home game to Fremantle during the Commonwealth Games, Freo reportedly had to pay $1.2 million to hire out the Stadium on top of what they payed the AFL to host the game plus took a hit in ticketing since none of their members had access to the game and had to offer large discounts to get their crowd in.

Would Port be required to pay the same if the AFL decided to play this game in Adelaide? They would certainly take a hit with ticketing since none of their members have access to the game while we have an extra home game that the club needs to organise us access to but the extra stadium costs could determine where the game is held if there is a dispute on who actually owns the rights to the home ground.

The only thing is , the players staying healthy , which hasn't happened the past couple of years.
On field we will be vastly improved from players just being fit and the new experienced players brought into the squad making our lineup the strongest it has been for 10 years.
Having a fully fit Carlisle will be massive and now having Howard who looks like a standout in the backline and not forgetting Webster and Roberton who are class players.
I can't stress how important the inclusion of a fit Carlisle , Roberton , Webster and Howard will be - they can all win there own ball and actually turn defense into attack.(basically we never had all 4 last year - Carlisle was noway near fit)

Also people haven't really have been talking much about Zac Jones - this guy with the class and speed of Hill will transform our midfield and this will lighten the load on Ross , Steele and Hannebery.

If everything clicks with this squad I would not rule out a top 4 spot.

A lot of people are going to get a hell of a shock how good we will be this year and I'm not even taking into account improvement in Hunter Clark , Gresham , Wilkie , Long , Parker , Coffield , King , Bytel , Marsh , Paton and when was the last time we go into a season with 2 quality ruckmen.

everyone has to be happy the way our club is heading.
If he has the class and speed of Hill then how on God's green earth did we get him so cheap? Because he doesn't. That's the answer. Speed? Maybe. Class? No.

If he has the class and speed of Hill then how on God's green earth did we get him so cheap? Because he doesn't. That's the answer. Speed? Maybe. Class? No.
I see Jones as the (cheap) Stuv replacement. Being able to get 20+ games out of him this season will help our midfield rotations immensely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back