Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I‘m led to believe up until Hanners arrived we fielded (no disrespect) a team full of introverts, which now is just beginning to turn around with encouragement from new coach & recruits. So if this is correct, without elevating one of the recruits IMO there is really only Geary or Ross in the picture.
I reckon before Robbo's heart issue, he was in-line to be our next captain and likely would have already been appointed.

Well I’d say that yes he wasn’t as great as a mid as he was as a half back but that’s because he was legitimately the best Half back in the draft. I will say that he definitely did show scope as a mid. I also don’t think we should pigeon hole him as a dominant half back for now yes let him dominate there but I feel a 5 - 10 year plan should be as a mid who rests at Half Back ala Yeo who IIRC also didn’t dominate As a mid.
I would say he didn’t cut it as a mid .I think it is trying to put a round pin in a square hole .
But history will tell which of of us are correct.
‘Don’t get me wrong I love the way he goes about it but just not as a mid .

I will preface my post by saying that I believe we will play a much more attacking brand under Ratten, but if we do require a lock down defender and Webster & Geary are unavailable, who can fill that role. Paton maybe. But I feel he is of more value to the team when he is taking the game on rather than just nullifying an opponent.
If Dmac is showing very good form at Sandy, and we need a lock down defender, IMO he is only a couple of injuries away from playing a game with Saints
He is more than a few injuries from getting a game IMO , Ratts said we needed more skill in the team , thats why i dont see DMac playing , we will have to wait and see

He is more than a few injuries from getting a game IMO , Ratts said we needed more skill in the team , thats why i dont see DMac playing , we will have to wait and see

Its hard to tell if he has skill, he doesn't get the ball enough to see.

I‘m led to believe up until Hanners arrived we fielded (no disrespect) a team full of introverts, which now is just beginning to turn around with encouragement from new coach & recruits. So if this is correct, without elevating one of the recruits IMO there is really only Geary or Ross in the picture.

Potential Future Captains.

Marshall : 1 or 2 seasons off.
Clarke : 2 or 3 seasons off, needs to find himself as a player first.
Hannebery : perhaps if he can get a full season under his belt.

For now, Ross or Geary.

As a football enthusiast, I hope the reason I don't see DMAC play is we are going full on attack with our game plan. I would much rather see us taking the game on, rather than a control the tempo, maintain possession, defensive zone style. Our game plan should be simple..... K.I.T.K
Kick It To King and let the Goal fests commence.

Potential Future Captains.

Marshall : 1 or 2 seasons off.
Clarke : 2 or 3 seasons off, needs to find himself as a player first.
Hannebery : perhaps if he can get a full season under his belt.

For now, Ross or Geary.
You dont rate Battle ? I think he is a near certainty for Captain one day

We also had a coach that drove a play your role type mantra. Tackle pressure etc rather then encouraged players to play to their strengths and let them use their flair and individual characteristic.
Some of these boys feel like they have grown a lot in one off season under Ratten.

I would say he didn’t cut it as a mid .I think it is trying to put a round pin in a square hole .
But history will tell which of of us are correct.
‘Don’t get me wrong I love the way he goes about it but just not as a mid .
Well i suppose it depends on what you mean by not cutting it. If you mean not dominating to the level that other top line mids such as Cerra, other guys more recently like Rowell Anderson then sure. However if you say he was competent, able to win clearances and contested possesions as part of a successful team then maybe he did. Either way I do understand how just on the eye test he may not seem like a mid, I get that. He doesn't seem to move as efficiently through congestion as others. Although I still do think we should try at some stage to develop him as a mid bear in mind this is only after a couple years as a solid half back.

I reckon Richo is a process man- the process is what wins, more than any individual efforts, but if the process doesn't work, there's no other option. That's why Richo was always reluctant to shift players around the ground..or take risks and try a radical move to try and save a game, as it just wasn't an option in his coaching book. I hope Ratts has a bit more left-field about his approach, and will be prepared to take risks.
Come on bloke, what about the Carlisle switch to the forward line to save the game. That nearly worked once🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do you think they would be tempted ? Unless half the team is injured i cant see how he will ever play another game for us

Badly worded. I guess if he's playing decent footy at Sandy and the Ratts policy is to reward form, he's as much entitled to chances as anyone else. I'd say Savage and Jimmy are pretty know quantities by now. They might be tempted to give him another crack at a backline spot. I know everyone hates him on here but the year before people liked him. I hope he turns his 2019 form around, it was a pretty hard year down back with much more pressure due to injuries to key personnel.

And why shouldn't the guy whose been consistently our in our top 2 players over the past 3 years not be guaranteed a game?

To me he will love having some better players along side him. If Hanners can stand up it will really benefit him. Stuv has been his only decent team mate for a few years and Ross doesn't win a lot of inside ball so is really reliant on someone feeding him. He's not far off the top shelf Seb, a few team mates could tip him into gun territory. I see him like Jarrod Lyons, he looked like he won a lot of footy but was a bit messy.... moved to a side with better players and looked a better player.

Badly worded. I guess if he's playing decent footy at Sandy and the Ratts policy is to reward form, he's as much entitled to chances as anyone else. I'd say Savage and Jimmy are pretty know quantities by now. They might be tempted to give him another crack at a backline spot. I know everyone hates him on here but the year before people liked him. I hope he turns his 2019 form around, it was a pretty hard year down back with much more pressure due to injuries to key personnel.
Lets just stop with the hate Bullsh1t , no saints fan hates any player on our list past or present , Some like me just dont think he has the skills to take us to where we need to be if we are ever going to win a flag

Why do you think they would be tempted ? Unless half the team is injured i cant see how he will ever play another game for us
The week he does get picked I'm gonna wear these to the pub when I meet up with you CaptainRisky ;)

ModelGiantHeadphones.jpeg

Meeting players from that generation they seemed like socially anxious bed wetters. Trout's good guy policy was more like pick kids who sleep with the lights on. Compared to Sam Fisher types they were a world apart. I like nice people but we looked like a church group. Gresham is about the only one that seemed noticeably more arrogant.

Ross presents the same dilemma as having Geary as captain in my opinion. That means he’s guaranteed a game.
I have him in my starting 18 everyday of the week

Lets just stop with the hate Bullsh1t , no saints fan hates any player on our list past or present , Some like me just dont think he has the skills to take us to where we need to be if we are ever going to win a flag

I do, I hate all of them. They cause me pain. ;)

Its hard to tell if he has skill, he doesn't get the ball enough to see.

He looks rushed at times more than unskillful. He's a bit of a Geary style battle axe type though so looks even less skilful due to throwing himself head on into contests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back