Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree mate and I am going to flamed for this
Lonie for a small lacks the genuine speed to worry teams ....I know , I know he’s loved by all and sundry .
Jack gets goals through being clever .
Think the ankle operation came at bad time for Parker he is making it up big time , he is an extrovert too
which is unusual for indigenous player has real confidence in his life , all credit to him & his partner.
Always up for a chat at training with supporters too in a good way , not arrogant loves the club & the opportunity
he has been given.
Doubt we will see unchanged team much this year expect a lot of guys pressing claims every week if
injury stays away
You're not wrong that Lonie isnt quick, but does he need to be?

We have other quick smalls around him - Butler, Kent, Hind, Parker if they play - so he brings something different to the table. Being a clever player is more dangerous than someone who is fast but can't think their way through a situation.
Yeah, lone ain’t quick but he does work bloody hard and I think that’s why he gets opportunities. He’s just into everything.

I honestly don’t understand how, but he just keeps getting the job done.

Agree mate and I am going to get flamed for this
Lonie for a small lacks the genuine speed to worry teams ....I know , I know he’s loved by all and sundry .
Jack gets goals through being clever .
Think the ankle operation came at bad time for Parker he is making it up big time , he is an extrovert too
which is unusual for indigenous player has real confidence in his life , all credit to him & his partner.
Always up for a chat at training with supporters too in a good way , not arrogant loves the club & the opportunity
he has been given.
Doubt we will see unchanged team much this year expect a lot of guys pressing claims every week if
injury stays away

I agree about Lonie. He isn't particularly fast or strong, and he doesn't have the mercurial skills of some of the elite small forwards. All of which means that he has to work his ass off even more than most to make his contribution - which is to try and make his presence felt in the forward line, and be smart enough to get on the end of a couple of goals. So far, he is doing just that and earning his spot. But it comes as no surprise that he always has, and likely always will, fluctuate in form because it's damn hard to put in the effort that he needs to stay consistent.

I agree about Lonie. He isn't particularly fast or strong, and he doesn't have the mercurial skills of some of the elite small forwards. All of which means that he has to work his ass off even more than most to make his contribution - which is to try and make his presence felt in the forward line, and be smart enough to get on the end of a couple of goals. So far, he is doing just that and earning his spot. But it comes as no surprise that he always has, and likely always will, fluctuate in form because it's damn hard to put in the effort that he needs to stay consistent.
He is crafty and he hits the scoreboard, gets into good spots too. Ive thought before it wouldnt be a bad idea to get a tall that is struggling to find it to follow him. So often he is the one leading into the right space, but because he isnt that quick or tall usually gets spoiled away

Yep all he can do is put forward a case to be in the senior side. And he keeps doing it, send him to Sandringham and he plays best on ground. Gets competition for spots in 2020 kicks 8 goals in 2 matches. He might be too small, too slow and too annoying but if he makes himself undroppable we are in a good position. He was nearly our best player early last year before injury.

The team absolutely benefits from Lonie's pure goalsneak shitheadiness as well. When your smallest bloke is getting up in Gawn's face about being outmarked it means your team is in a positive mental state. Milne had the same tenancity and you only ever hear the other players from that era talk about how infectious his positivity and ability to get under the opposition's skin was.

I’m a big Parker fan, at times early last year he looked like he was going to tear games apart and kick a bag.

With Membrey plus two tall I think Parker becomes a hard match up. Quick, tall, aggressive and skilled all on a small defender.

I always like to think what player would I hate to play on. Membrey for his gut running then marking ability. King would be a pain because he is huge and athletic. Parker because he has tricks, is tall, quick and won’t be intimidated.
Couldn't agree more. Well said.

Yeah. We did similar with Membrey and Roberton - they were OOC and only wanted to come to us, so instead of trading we just didn’t offer anything and ended up getting them for free.
That’s wrong. Roberton wanted out because of his young family. He said he was happy to go anywhere in Melb. No one wanted him, he trained with us and we gave him a lifeline as a DFA.
Membrey on the other hand wanted to come to us, you’re right about that. But he’d been on Sydney’s list 3 years and played 1 game. And when Goodes signed on again he realised he wouldn’t get opportunities again, so requested a trade to us.
Stuv on the other hand was/still is a very good footballer who is a 4 time B’n’F winner. Geelong flat out shafted us and did not do the trade in good faith whatsoever.

Is a smell of '97 in the air?

Anyone know what Aussie is up to these days, I know his VFL coaching days at Bendigo or Ballarat are long gone, did he continue to coach after that? His media career didn't end up living up to his promise sadly. Good that Brownie's still with us.

The team absolutely benefits from Lonie's pure goalsneak shitheadiness as well. When your smallest bloke is getting up in Gawn's face about being outmarked it means your team is in a positive mental state. Milne had the same tenancity and you only ever hear the other players from that era talk about how infectious his positivity and ability to get under the opposition's skin was.
It's funny, Lonie gets s**t on here for not being defensive enough, whilst Stephen Milne, arguably the greatest small forward of all-time, was exactly the same. Some players have specific roles and are so good in one area that the good outweighs the bad and you play them because of their game changing ability, in Milne's case his ability to turn a game in minutes and his consistency in front of goal over a long period of time.

Lonie isn't there yet, but he sure as hell is in the best 22 and kicking 8 goals in 2 games as a small forward isn't an easy task. It's arguably the hardest position on the ground. If Jack can keep it up this year and kick 30 odd for us, he shouldn't go out of the team because he may not run defensively (which is crap anyway, he applies pressure as well as anyone in our front half). This is why guys like Butler were brought into the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember watching a TAC game he played or highlights anyway and he had 2 massive guys punching into him. He was still giving them a spray and taking it up to them. It looked comical but shows he has a bit of grit. He doesn't look tough but he's got some balls.

If Max King had kicked 8 goals in the Marsh series we'd all be fawning over ourselves. Now obviously Lonie is much older but the point still remains, Lonie plays in a position where it is very difficult to kick a high volume of goals and even if it is only in his 5th year he becomes consistent then so what. Also it doesn;t matter how he gets his goals as long as he gets them. Lastly lets not underrate how good Lonies link up and delivery into the 50. I think it was actually noticable after his injury how much worse we were at linking up into the f50.

Yeah, lone ain’t quick but he does work bloody hard and I think that’s why he gets opportunities. He’s just into everything.

I honestly don’t understand how, but he just keeps getting the job done.

With absolute respect been gifted 4 goals over preseason, Butler been good but needs to improve too.

Just me but the guys exciting me this year apart from expected ones Jones , Hill , Howard & Hannebery.

Are

Long playing backline changes the complete way we transition the ball out of the backline.

Marsh really exciting offers more speed with height in number of positions.

Clark & Coffield off half back sweeping roles ....with Clark having impact in 2nd half of games as a
midfielder.

Wilkie in great shape , what a pick up for free.

The indigenous collection ....that includes guys like Allan Murray & Lovett - Murray Overseeing them.

Bytel , Byrnes , Battle ....love them already .

He is crafty and he hits the scoreboard, gets into good spots too. Ive thought before it wouldnt be a bad idea to get a tall that is struggling to find it to follow him. So often he is the one leading into the right space, but because he isnt that quick or tall usually gets spoiled away

Would be good if we could develop a bit of synergy between Lonie and King.
Back in the day, when the ball was coming in to Fraser Gehrig with an extra defender on him, i always got the impression he knew exactly where Milne was.

Lonie is a little pest...and he is our little pest. Definitely in the best 22 over the last couple of years.
I reckon he'll kick on under Ratts.
Milne should be tied to him during training sessions though, if you're going to be a pest, then be the best...whom better to learn from?

You can't learn magic if you're a muggle, and I'm not sure that Milne could even try to teach what he did.

But i think Lonie has the potential to be a player at the level of Jamie Elliot or thereabouts.

You can't learn magic if you're a muggle, and I'm not sure that Milne could even try to teach what he did.

But i think Lonie has the potential to be a player at the level of Jamie Elliot or thereabouts.
Surely the first time anyone has referenced Harry Potter on BF.
He’d probably make a pretty good seeker too! ⚡

If Max King had kicked 8 goals in the Marsh series we'd all be fawning over ourselves. Now obviously Lonie is much older but the point still remains, Lonie plays in a position where it is very difficult to kick a high volume of goals and even if it is only in his 5th year he becomes consistent then so what. Also it doesn;t matter how he gets his goals as long as he gets them. Lastly lets not underrate how good Lonies link up and delivery into the 50. I think it was actually noticable after his injury how much worse we were at linking up into the f50.

He played further from goal at the start of last year and as like a wingman who set up on the front edge of the centre square, he looked really creative in that role.

Dabbled in the dark arts?
https://www.ladbrokes.com.au/?a=574141&c=2/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/chris-judd-totally-looks-like-voldemort-e1433823186666.jpg

images

Anyone know what Aussie is up to these days, I know his VFL coaching days at Bendigo or Ballarat are long gone, did he continue to coach after that? His media career didn't end up living up to his promise sadly. Good that Brownie's still with us.
Coaching and living in Bunyip in the West Gippy league after coaching Narre Warren or Pakenham (?) to multiple flags.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back