• Top 6

• Middle 6

• Bottom 6

• 50 Point loss to Gold Coast bad

• 60 Point thrashing of Wet Toast good

• Port like roller coaster

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

A bad season is one thing, but a bad season followed by forking out for and the symbolic delivery of multiple cartons (including the walk of shame), across a wide spread of locations in Perth is even worse. You'd think I would have learned by now.

There are only two possible outcomes - we suck so hard it makes 2001 look like a picnic or we win enough to trouble the 8. I see no middle ground or other option.

If it does go pearshaped, make them come and get their cartons. Get your kids in rags, pretending to eat out of dogbowls, when they arrive.

But I reckon you'll be right. If we can get through alrightish these first few without most of the spine, we should come good from round 4 or 5.

Our first 8 years were not good - for ladder position. Saying that they were the best and the worst of Freo. Amazing wins, deplorable losses, and a lot of entertainment. It was everything opposite to West Coast. It was fantastic. We waited and then we had a good tilt at it. 2003, that game against Essendon - it was like we won the bloody GF. The fans sang and raved and then the week after reality set in.

Alas, we showed signs of improvement and consistency, and then in 2006, well that was a year of opportunity. It was also a short time of pain for our club. There was turmoil in the ranks and Harvey took over and again we were back to the bottom end of the ladder. Finally in 2010, we had hope with 13 wins, and a good list. IT was exciting. Then 2009 another wasted year. Then - holy s**t, the Dockers did it again. They blindsided Harvey and brought in Lyon.

The results on the board were immediate. Now was this a change of coach, or was it the playing list or a combination. I think the latter.
This was our purple patch, and unfortunately we never got a flag, we pushed and pushed and then we went to crap, and then Lyon got the sack.

It has been a 4 year rebuild now. Like it not, we have played the trade table very well lately. In my mind, without, the best in our history.
Lachie Weller - Big tick. Ed Langdon - tick. Brad Hill - tick - good compensation. Recruits in - generally good.
We have the Bennell trade which cost us, the Josh Simpson. At one point we put on the table 2 first round picks for McCarthy. Massive tick on that negotiation. Melbourne asked for two top 10 picks for Hogan and we walked away. Good move to not pay overs. Enough on that.

Predictions and expectations. Ross Lyon got sacked because we did not make the 8...well yeah more to it than that. I still think based on predictions, it seems that Lyon over achieved last year with the list he had. You would expect to improve on the number of wins because we have had this rebuild going on for sometime. I am calling it now - we need this club improving on last year.

We have a better list now, and a developed list. So I am not sure what the equation is, it is not like we have had sanctions like Carlton or Essendon. We either have a dud list and we will have another 5 years of pain, or we should be pushing for the 8. I think the odds are juicy. I am predicting we are the climbers this year.

I am calling it now - we need this club improving on last year.

We have a better list now, and a developed list. So I am not sure what the equation is, it is not like we have had sanctions like Carlton or Essendon. We either have a dud list and we will have another 5 years of pain, or we should be pushing for the 8. I think the odds are juicy. I am predicting we are the climbers this year.
Enjoyed your post. Interested to get your thoughts on the loss of our two wingers, and the potential to cover them.

Enjoyed your post. Interested to get your thoughts on the loss of our two wingers, and the potential to cover them.

Isn't likely to be either Bewley and Hill or Bewley and Aish?

I think we will get the most excited after the girls win the first cup for Freo in April, then it will be pretty depressing until some more excitement in November thanks to the rate at which our tall lads are going down (again) and our talent at maintaining them as TBCs.

Thought I'd share some demographic analysis as it probably helps in setting some expectations. I am pretty certain Fremantle now has the youngest list in the AFL, and the 2nd least experienced after Gold Coast. This morning Earl Chi on The Roar provided this graph below showing our list breakdown (plus all other clubs)...

Fig2_fre.jpg

Apart from it showing a pretty lonely David Mundy there are some great insights and potential reasons for future optimism here. For starters we only have one player over 30yo, meaning we aren't going to lose a heap of experienced players over the coming years, unlike a team like Carlton for instance, who have a bunch of players in their B22 who are over 30. The Hawks, St Kilda, Essendon, North, Port and Adelaide all appear to be under achieving given their list demographic and all of them could easily fall off a cliff as their veterans being to retire (like Freo did). Melbourne has the strangest list demographic of all, looking more like rude hand gesture than a demographic histogram.

Over the next couple of seasons our list demographic is likely to look very similar to the current top teams of Richmond, WC, GWS, Collingwood etc. Collingwood, West Coast and Geelong are starting to look age heavy and should be all in on trying to win a premiership this year or next based on their histograms.

Unsurprisingly both Brisbane and Western Bulldogs have pretty balanced histograms and both are coming into their prime, probably at least a year, maybe two, ahead of us. Sydney's exclusive access to their top end academy talent means they are very likely to bounce back up in the not-to-distant future as well.

I think the positives for us are that we have a bunch of top end talent in the lower age ranges and a lot of them are 2nd string midfielders and flankers - so they are more likely to be able to impact earlier in their careers. Meanwhile our spine is built primarily of players through the middle section of that demographic meaning they are seasoned but still with plenty of growth left. Whilst those at the pointy end are almost all established stars that should have a few good years left to lead and impact games.

In my opinion David Walls and co have done a relatively good job in creating a balanced list profile that should grow well with JLo's game plan over the coming seasons. Like others I'm hopeful we'll be highly competitive in 2020 primarily through a game plan that leverages strengths and opportunities via intuitive football, and is less about players trying to calculate the percentages of a decision every time they have the ball in hand. There is no reason we can't tread a similar path to what Brisbane did given our relatively similar list profiles.

Reference:

Thought I'd share some demographic analysis as it probably helps in setting some expectations. I am pretty certain Fremantle now has the youngest list in the AFL, and the 2nd least experienced after Gold Coast. This morning Earl Chi on The Roar provided this graph below showing our list breakdown (plus all other clubs)...

Fig2_fre.jpg

Apart from it showing a pretty lonely David Mundy there are some great insights and potential reasons for future optimism here. For starters we only have one player over 30yo, meaning we aren't going to lose a heap of experienced players over the coming years, unlike a team like Carlton for instance, who have a bunch of players in their B22 who are over 30. The Hawks, St Kilda, Essendon, North, Port and Adelaide all appear to be under achieving given their list demographic and all of them could easily fall off a cliff as their veterans being to retire (like Freo did). Melbourne has the strangest list demographic of all, looking more like rude hand gesture than a demographic histogram.

Over the next couple of seasons our list demographic is likely to look very similar to the current top teams of Richmond, WC, GWS, Collingwood etc. Collingwood, West Coast and Geelong are starting to look age heavy and should be all in on trying to win a premiership this year or next based on their histograms.

Unsurprisingly both Brisbane and Western Bulldogs have pretty balanced histograms and both are coming into their prime, probably at least a year, maybe two, ahead of us. Sydney's exclusive access to their top end academy talent means they are very likely to bounce back up in the not-to-distant future as well.

I think the positives for us are that we have a bunch of top end talent in the lower age ranges and a lot of them are 2nd string midfielders and flankers - so they are more likely to be able to impact earlier in their careers. Meanwhile our spine is built primarily of players through the middle section of that demographic meaning they are seasoned but still with plenty of growth left. Whilst those at the pointy end are almost all established stars that should have a few good years left to lead and impact games.

In my opinion David Walls and co have done a relatively good job in creating a balanced list profile that should grow well with JLo's game plan over the coming seasons. Like others I'm hopeful we'll be highly competitive in 2020 primarily through a game plan that leverages strengths and opportunities via intuitive football, and is less about players trying to calculate the percentages of a decision every time they have the ball in hand. There is no reason we can't tread a similar path to what Brisbane did given our relatively similar list profiles.

Reference:
Thanks for the link, terrific article.

I expect we'll have plenty of colour in the under 24 category still next year.

Richmond's list is ******* scary. Their dynasty is going to rival Hawthorns unless they * it up in finals

Thanks for the link, terrific article.

I expect we'll have plenty of colour in the under 24 category still next year.

Richmond's list is ******* scary. Their dynasty is going to rival Hawthorns unless they fu** it up in finals

Bringing in Lynch really opens up the next five years for them. Jack will probably last longer years wise and still provide 40 plus goals due to Lynch being there. Insanely good pick up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I know Losing both Brad Hill and Ed Langdon is bad.

Yet..... I reckon with our best 22 available, we can still be competitive.

We got a few options on the wing....

Stephen Hill, Travis Coyler, Blake Acres and Darcy tucker are the expperienced lot.

Stefan Giro, Crowden, Henry, possibly even Adam Cerra can play on the wing.

I think freo will be ok

Last edited:
I expect that we'll be bottom six. I'm comfortable with this if we see plenty of opportunity, development and progression from young players. I would love to see all of Sturt, Young, Serong and Henry play 10+ matches during the year as well as an opportunity for Fredrick, Pina and Valente.

It's a shame that our first draft pick will be pushed back but may only be one or two spots if we're bottom four.

I’m going to make some logic leaps and offer some anxious predictions.

Reading the pre-season thread a lot (thank you watchers!) and after the two intraclub matches, this is my assessment.

I’m seeing a lot of indicators that we’re bottom four, which is OK, but I can’t see us improving on last year.

- One of the youngest lists in the comp.
- We have the most inexperienced coach in the comp, no matter how visionary or efficient he is, he’ll make mistakes.
- Key injuries & unavailability
- No player recruited in the last three years or so has seemingly advanced their game enough to add to the quality of Fyfe & Walters.
- Our current forward line would be the close to the worst in the comp, entering round one, our small forward solutions are troublesome.
- Acres being a standout in our intraclub, he was fringe at a bottom four club.
- We’ll be borrowing Lobb from the forward line all season to cover the fragility and inexperience of our rucks.
- The depth of our injuries and loss of Hill & Langdon has made us a worse side, teams around us would be confident they’ve improved.

In saying this, I think we have the foundation to have a very sharp improvement in 2021, I’m actually quite confident in that.

I’m going to make some logic leaps and offer some anxious predictions.

Reading the pre-season thread a lot (thank you watchers!) and after the two intraclub matches, this is my assessment.

I’m seeing a lot of indicators that we’re bottom four, which is OK, but I can’t see us improving on last year.

- One of the youngest lists in the comp.
- We have the most inexperienced coach in the comp, no matter how visionary or efficient he is, he’ll make mistakes.
- Key injuries & unavailability
- No player recruited in the last three years or so has seemingly advanced their game enough to add to the quality of Fyfe & Walters.
- Our current forward line would be the close to the worst in the comp, entering round one, our small forward solutions are troublesome.
- Acres being a standout in our intraclub, he was fringe at a bottom four club.
- We’ll be borrowing Lobb from the forward line all season to cover the fragility and inexperience of our rucks.
- The depth of our injuries and loss of Hill & Langdon has made us a worse side, teams around us would be confident they’ve improved.

In saying this, I think we have the foundation to have a very sharp improvement in 2021, I’m actually quite confident in that.

I specifically had to highlight these 2 points.

Worst forward line in the comp? Not even close.

A team with Lobb, Walters, Matera, McCarthy and Tarberner is a decent forward set up. All 5 blokes can kick 30 goals each. Walters kicked 40 goals and 17 behinds last year. Matera kicked 30 goals and 25 behinds. Cam didnt but kicked 35 goals in 2015 as a 3rd tall behind lobb and Jeremy cameron at GWS. Lobb Kicked 29 goals and 16 behinds in his best year at GWS. Tarberner can also kick 30 goals if he plays all 22 games.

Look at the forward 6.

HF:Tarberner, McCarthy, Rotating mid/winger.

FF: Walters, Lobb, Matera

Its not too bad.

Losing Langdon and Brad Hill hurts on the wings.

However..... I am confident on filling those spots up.

Stephen hill, Travis Coyler, Darcy tucker and Blake Acres are experienced wingers.

Of the kids.... Cerra can play both as an inside mid and on the wing. Giro can play on a wing. So can Henry

I don't think our forward line is bad at all, it isn't elite or one of the top tier forward lines like a West Coast team has, but it certainly isn't horrible at all.

Walters, Taberner, Lobb, Matera and McCarthy automatically make it a semi decent forward line, add in a fully fit and confident Jesse Hogan and it's a good forward line.

Has West Coast had your babies lately? You've been way over the top positive about them recently.
I'd say over the top is a bit much but nobody can deny they've had a good off season and have got all the pieces to push for a flag. I hope that's not the case but I don't hate them, i'd rather cheer them over shitty teams like Geelong and St Kilda or Essendon.

I'd say over the top is a bit much but nobody can deny they've had a good off season and have got all the pieces to push for a flag. I hope that's not the case but I don't hate them, i'd rather cheer them over shitty teams like Geelong and St Kilda or Essendon.
Fair enough. I just saw your comment about Duffy should be suspended on their AFLW thread and didn't sit well with me given you didn't pipe up at all about Gibson running past the ball to strike Cuthbertson above the neck. Just feels like every second comment you've made lately mentions how great WC are. Personally I'd rather treat them like all other 17 clubs and not continually compare ourselves and hear about them on here. I think we found out how much BS was flowing around about their superior culture in regard to AFLW - ha ha. Banter with their fan base on BF is a different story.

Fair enough. I just saw your comment about Duffy should be suspended on their AFLW thread and didn't sit well with me given you didn't pipe up at all about Gibson running past the ball to strike Cuthbertson above the neck. Just feels like every second comment you've made lately mentions how great WC are. Personally I'd rather treat them like all other 17 clubs and not continually compare ourselves and hear about them on here. I think we found out how much BS was flowing around about their superior culture in regard to AFLW - ha ha. Banter with their fan base on BF is a different story.
Yeah fair enough mate not trying to ruffle any feathers, and yeah agreed on all points. Yeah that Gibson thing was s**t I just mainly made a comment on Duffy because while looking back on it it definitely wasn't suspension worthy it's not something becoming of this club. And it's definitely hard to banter with them at times because they tend to take a lot of what's said seriously hahaha.

Yeah fair enough mate not trying to ruffle any feathers, and yeah agreed on all points. Yeah that Gibson thing was s**t I just mainly made a comment on Duffy because while looking back on it it definitely wasn't suspension worthy it's not something becoming of this club. And it's definitely hard to banter with them at times because they tend to take a lot of what's said seriously hahaha.
Handy tip... stay away from their board ;)

This year = meh (•_•) - just outside top 8. Next year = Top 8. 2022 = :freo::checkeredflag:.

Back