• 50 Point loss to Gold Coast bad

• 60 Point thrashing of Wet Toast good

• Port like roller coaster

Results are only viewable after voting.
May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
at the minute i think the most likely outcome is that we have a season similar to Brisbane's in 2018, who were better than their record suggested (5-17, had 6 games decided by a kick, only won 1 of them) and be set for a big 2021
It is looking like this so far I reckon. Will be interesting to see how we stack up against a Pies or Tigers.

It is looking like this so far I reckon. Will be interesting to see how we stack up against a Pies or Tigers.
hope we stack up better then the 18 lions did when they got absolutely hammered by Richmond. think Port this weekend this a pretty big test (given the form they’ve had against admittedly crap opposition)

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Be bloody good if this year was similar to Lyon's 2012......and then next year a grand final. Probably wishful thinking but not completely out of the realms of all possibility.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
We'd need a fit list :tearsofjoy: and some of the youngsters to seriously come on, but in principle I agree.
I think we also need mid-career guys like Blakely, McCarthy, Matera and even Wilson to start building again instead of stagnating. Strong seasons out of those four would make the world of difference.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think we also need mid-career guys like Blakely, McCarthy, Matera and even Wilson to start building again instead of stagnating. Strong seasons out of those four would make the world of difference.
I think Wilson's level when fully fit is fine. I also think 2019 Matera is plenty good enough.

I would agree on the other two and Cam especially. Him hitting his straps would be massive as he has so much talent but I am no longer bullish on him.

Still I reckon if you get 2 or more of Andy, Cez, Serong, Valente contributing to a consistent B grade level or better, then you probably don't need Connor. Might as well put him in that bracket, tbh.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
The forward line is a huge concern. Career best goals:
Matt Taberner - 18 (Career average of 1.1 GpG)
Rory Lobb - 29 (Career average of 0.9 GpG)
Jesse Hogan - 47 (Career average of 2.0 GpG)
Cam McCarthy - 35 (Career average of 1.4 GpG)
Michael Walters - 46 (Career average of 1.7GpG)

Of this list Hogan is now out indefinitely, McCarthy is possibly a winger and Walters splits his time between the midfield and forward line and is without a doubt our best forward. Matt Taberner hasn't played more than 17 games in a season before due to form and fitness while Lobb appears to be our break glass in case of emergency ruckman.

The fact we are throwing out names like Colyer as a potential forward makes me sick to my stomach, he should never have been signed on a 3 year deal. Stupid list management by the club.

All of this is matched with a very inexperienced midfield and a backline that has been decimated by injuries (Pearce, Hamling and Wilson) I can't understand how bottom 6 isn't everyone's expectation. Carlton have shown how long rebuilds take and even with one of the most ready made draftee's in history (Sam Walsh) playing last year, a slew of high draft picks and one of the best mids in the game they were still only able to finish 16th last year.

A new coach has come in and will be implementing a new game plan to a very inexperienced group of players, it is unlikely to click quickly. Even with a mature list, minimal injuries and a very experienced coach with a history of making finals when Ross Lyon started with us in 2012 the first half of the year was a bloody tough watch! We won 6 of the first 12 and were able to make finals once things clicked.

Can we as a supporter base really expect anything close to that? That was also a year with a very crap Gold Coast (not that that has changed), GWS, Melbourne and Bulldogs.

If we avoid the bottom 6 it will be a surprise to me.

Looking like bottom 6 is almost a lock for us.

Probably bottom 2

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looking like bottom 6 is almost a lock for us.

Probably bottom 2
6 yeah, 2 nah.

We're actually pretty consistent and only one win behind GWS, Geelong, West Coast and Bulldogs and doing it missing multiple key players. I am actually genuinely impressed at how well we are doing all things considered.

I think we should petition the next hub to be in Covid heartland (Marvel) with the roof closed though. We looked dire in the wet.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
6 yeah, 2 nah.

We're actually pretty consistent and only one win behind GWS, Geelong, West Coast and Bulldogs and doing it missing multiple key players. I am actually genuinely impressed at how well we are doing all things considered.

I think we should petition the next hub to be in Covid heartland (Marvel) with the roof closed though. We looked dire in the wet.

Missing multiple key players.....

It's been the same every year for as long as I can remember.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's not as uncommon at other clubs as many on here would have you believe but I agree it is a big problem still.

Problem could be fixed by having actual depth (Richmond / Collingwood) or punting the S & C and trying for a better result.

Ross Lyon didn't work and the club punted him, it baffles me that our S & C team fail year after year and there hasn't been a cleanout.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
i thought this year was about getting games into the young players, working out who is best 22 since we've swapped most of our list, learning JLo's game plan, and building synergy with the new players. This is what I see happening. What's with all the doom and gloom. Even WC is struggling in the GC hub and they won 16 games last year and added Kelly to their list. Yes, losing sux but maybe your expectations are a bit high. We lost the first 2 games by 1 goal (Marggetts goal steal taken into account) and struggled in the wet as we always do. Play that last game at Optus in the beautiful weather of Sun arvo and it would have looked quite different.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’m going with my gut and saying we go 2-4 in the hub (after they extend it a week)

We’ll then get 6 games at home and win 3-4 of them.

fu** knows what happens from there but I think we finish on 7-8 wins (8-9) record.
I think we beat Adelaide. Not sold on GC.

They going to need to send us a squib team up here or at least one that only plays half of games for us to win another. Reckon 6 weeks up here will start to drain the boys mentally and it will show on the field too.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Forget about 2020 and start thinking about 2021.
:p
Exactly. The 2020 goals should be something like:
Increased midfield time for Tucker, Brayshaw and Cerra.
10+ games for each of Sturt, Serong, Young and Valente.
Debuts for Meek, Watson, Henry, Pina and Fredericks.
Established forward structure.
Fitness issues for key players addressed.

Bigger

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2001
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
need to take a good look at themselves
Exactly. The 2020 goals should be something like:
Increased midfield time for Tucker, Brayshaw and Cerra.
10+ games for each of Sturt, Serong, Young and Valente.
Debuts for Meek, Watson, Henry, Pina and Fredericks.
Established forward structure.
Fitness issues for key players addressed.

Yeah, these are good but in relation to the bolded, it must be at consistent standard. Not just rocking up and flaking their way in and out of games. I worry that I have invested too much in Cerra and Brayshaw coming good while Sonny and Fyfe are still kicking.

Brayshaw is a dependable 200-gamer who will never win a game off his own boot.

Cerra I like but I struggle to figure out what he is going to be. When you play the game of comparing these young players to an established player, I cannot figure out who Cerra is like or is going to be.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, these are good but in relation to the bolded, it must be at consistent standard. Not just rocking up and flaking their way in and out of games. I worry that I have invested too much in Cerra and Brayshaw coming good while Sonny and Fyfe are still kicking.

Brayshaw is a dependable 200-gamer who will never win a game off his own boot.

Cerra I like but I struggle to figure out what he is going to be. When you play the game of comparing these young players to an established player, I cannot figure out who Cerra is like or is going to be.
Their potential ability is not contingent on your ability to recognise it.

I have to ask though. Lets say we don't play Andy and Cez. Who should be in there? What B grade or better standard midfielders are they holding back?

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Their potential ability is not contingent on your ability to recognise it.

I have to ask though. Lets say we don't play Andy and Cez. Who should be in there? What B grade or better standard midfielders are they holding back?

Tom North has not had an opportunity , he deserves a shot before the season ends.
Menegola was in the same boat and delisted without a shot, we don't want the same situation with North.

Wabjub

Official buddy 2022 - The Raz
Mar 24, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
In the end this season is a blessing in disguise; anyone who wins the premiership will always have a little asterisks next to their name and no one will really consider it a real premiership (I for one would not want to win it his year even if it would be our first). Just think of it as a reaaally long NAB cup or whatever the hell they call it now.

We use it to get our players fit and firing and just pump as much game time into our youngsters as possible. At this point coming last may be more valuable than winning because of the draft picks.

Then we hit the 2021 season as hard as possible.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tom North has not had an opportunity , he deserves a shot before the season ends.
Menegola was in the same boat and delisted without a shot, we don't want the same situation with North.
Sure, I'm all for giving him a go but if you think the bloke averaging 18 touches in the WAFL is going to come in and outdo the other two you are dreaming.

Menegola was good for two seasons or so at Geelong and pretty much injured the rest of his career. Not losing any sleep over that.

Back