2020 Preseason training Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

He played all of 2015 and we didn't win a flag.

I like Nic Nat but over time have started to find myself in the "ruckmen are overrated camp". 2018 was the last straw for me, we played against the two best ruckmen in the league in the prelim and GF. Our solid B graders nullified them and we won both games.

We also saw no major dip in 2017 win Nic was out all year.

You definitely need a solid ruck (Bulldogs know all about this) but I think a B grader like Hickey or Vardy is fine. I dont think it is worth making one your highest paid player and think Collingwood have stuffed up big time with Grundys new deal.

Wait, what are you talking about? 2017 was the pits!

Only season since Simmo's first year in charge where we won less than 15 games.

I like Nic Nat but over time have started to find myself in the "ruckmen are overrated camp". 2018 was the last straw for me, we played against the two best ruckmen in the league in the prelim and GF. Our solid B graders nullified them and we won both games.

You definitely need a solid ruck (Bulldogs know all about this) but I think a B grader like Hickey or Vardy is fine. I dont think it is worth making one your highest paid player and think Collingwood have stuffed up big time with Grundys new deal.
We won 16 games in 15, 16 and 18.

But we only won 12 in 2017, we were definitely worse that year than the others and only just managed to sneak into the finals.

Pretty sweet team. Well balanced.

Weakness is Brander, we'll be carrying for a while but hope he develops and shows his talent.

Excited for AhChee.
We really need to pump games into Brander. I doubt the wing is going to be where he ends up, but any role at this level is better than the scratch match level the 2nds will play. He’s doing fine for a guy with 4 games under his belt.

Also excited for Ah Chee- he’s been the one I’ve been really impressed with so far this year.

Wait, what are you talking about? 2017 was the pits!

Only season since Simmo's first year in charge where we won less than 15 games.
I felt that was more to do with game plan and some slow mids, which I don't think ruck dominance would change. Maybe I'm over-rating the 2017 elimination final win, I always viewed that as one of the first signs we were coming out of the post 2015 slump.

2016 was a strange year. We won a lot of games but so did all of the top 8. Our finals performance was putrid.

We really need to pump games into Brander. I doubt the wing is going to be where he ends up, but any role at this level is better than the scratch match level the 2nds will play. He’s doing fine for a guy with 4 games under his belt.

Also excited for Ah Chee- he’s been the one I’ve been really impressed with so far this year.

Just hope he isn't too much of a burden and doesn't slow us down through the middle.

I felt that was more to do with game plan and some slow mids, which I don't think ruck dominance would change. Maybe I'm over-rating the 2017 elimination final win, I always viewed that as one of the first signs we were coming out of the post 2015 slump.

2016 was a strange year. We won a lot of games but so did all of the top 8. Our finals performance was putrid.

I know we won the flag in 2018 after NicNat went down, but I felt like Vardy stepping up to a level we hadn't expected from him was a big part of it (and Lycett). 2019 Vardy was nowhere near it.

In 2019 we were far less free flowing. Some of that was down to teams stifling our ball movement from defence, but I really felt like I saw a more aggressive mindset in the short time that NicNat played with us. When he was on the field, our stoppage power and ability to kick goals from centre bounces was best in the league. End of the 1st quarter in round 1 is all you need for evidence of that IMO. 4 goals in about 3 minutes, and atleast two of them directly related to NicNat's work in the ruck.

For comparison's sake, Grundy is a great ruck, but he doesn't have the impact with his taps and is nowhere near as damaging.

Even on reduced minutes, NicNat is worth 3+ goals each week compared to our next best ruck (Hickey/Vardy).

Just hope he isn't too much of a burden and doesn't slow us down through the middle.

Word on Brander is it's his running power and work below his knees that impresses folks and why he was considered for a role on the wing.

Am expecting to see him shine this weekend.

Check out Nic's shoulders and left bicep. Brother has spend some time under the knife upstairs as well as downstairs.

I think we often forget how much of a toll this game tends to extract from players bodies.
I've got a feeling that these scars, as well as others he has on his chest, may be something to do with his Fijian culture and inflicted during initiations during his visits to the islands.

Word on Brander is it's his running power and work below his knees that impresses folks and why he was considered for a role on the wing.

Am expecting to see him shine this weekend.
I hope they do play him on a wing and not on the HFF as named. Waterman is, at this point in time, a far better forward and should be playing instead of Brander if this is the case.

But if you’re using 2015 as an example it only supports the point even more. Top 2 and it took a once in a generational team to knock us off in the end (who we did demolish only weeks earlier and arguably would’ve also taken the flag off them if ladder position meant anything in terms of the GF).

2016 he played most of the year and we were looking pretty solid (albeit not th best side in the comp) until he cooked his knee and the whole season fell flat. 17 he played none of it and you could see the difference as we were lucky to even make finals that year. 18 speaks for itself, played most of the year and was one of the reasons the team rallied and took the flag (potentially learnt from how we reacted in 16?). 2019 he came back and we were looking very good yet again until he went down just as we were getting a roll on.

I think the big thing that settles it, for me at least, is the way our guys (mids especially), strut around and stand taller when he’s out there. You can see the change in attitude as soon as he’s on the park.. and even mid game when there’s a ruck switch. Admittedly Hickey isn’t the greatest ruck going around but he’s solid enough.. the way the momentum of matches changed when he was at a centre bounce in comparison to NN was eye opening.

[QUOTE="Rowan18, post: 65391125, member: 186980"

[/QUOTE]

This says the opposite to.me. Nullifying these guys went a long way to getting us the win, thats how important they were to their teams. We did it with 2 big boys, both in greay form and using clever tactics. A lot of work went into working Gawn and Grundy over which demonstrates how important Simpson and the coaching staff thinks a A grade ruckman is.
An A grade ruck is not a neceasity but it makes a very good midfield.group a great one.

[QUOTE="Rowan18, post: 65391125, member: 186980"

This says the opposite to.me. Nullifying these guys went a long way to getting us the win, thats how important they were to their teams. We did it with 2 big boys, both in greay form and using clever tactics. A lot of work went into working Gawn and Grundy over which demonstrates how important Simpson and the coaching staff thinks a A grade ruckman is.
An A grade ruck is not a neceasity but it makes a very good midfield.group a great one.
[/QUOTE]

Dean Cox agrees. As do Judd Cousins Kerr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope they do play him on a wing and not on the HFF as named. Waterman is, at this point in time, a far better forward and should be playing instead of Brander if this is the case.

He was named on the wing round 1 wasn't he? I wouldn't panic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back