2020 Preseason training Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

No Hutchings and O.Allen as a backup for Naitanui is my ideal setup. We don't need a tagger when Yeo/Redden can play defensively and Allen allows us to play a bit smaller and leaves us with a better mix when either he or Nic Nat goes forward.

I think 16 minute quarters will work to our advantage this year. Notice how we touched up Melbourne in the first quarter in round one, where Nic Nat stayed on and played some forward minutes and then rested later in the game.

Yeo through the middle at the end of that clips was awesome.

Needs to play more attacking and take the game on.

101015486_10157420222092224_8094825558279454720_o.jpg

:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

This gives me anxiety. Is he going to kick it with the opposite boot?

Take my strong hand.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Simmo may have been referring to the hamstring he did in the preseason but could be wrong, his wording could be taken either way.

Yes, you could be right. I just listened to his interview again on YouTube, and it's a bit vague. He does come across like that at times, but I think you have the right slant on this one.

Really excited to see what Brander can do with the wing role.

While there is lots of room for improvement, I feel like he improved with every game over the 2 marsh series and round 1. As he adjusts to the standard at AFL level I am sure he will come along in leaps and bounds. Looking forward to seeing him make it his own.
‘Versatile’ Jarrod Brander bides his time on West Coast wing

Jarrod Brander returns to training at Mineral Resources Park, Lathlain.

Bendigo Pioneers talent manager Stephen Sharp admits he never thought of Jarrod Brander as a wingman, but he was not shocked to see the West Coast big man take to the task like a duck to water.
At 195cm, Brander was drafted in 2017 as a key-position prospect who had plenty of promise and could play at either end of the ground.
Yet the stable forward pillars for West Coast, Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling, and defensive counterparts Jeremy McGovern and Tom Barrass meant the 21-year-old returned to pre-season with a new role to learn — the wing.

Brander joined the midfield group hoping to add to his three AFL games in his first two years, and come round one he found himself in an empty Optus Stadium in his new role.
Sharp, who helped Brander and five other Pioneer products get drafted in 2017, said because of the Geelong Grammar student’s versatility, he was not surprised to see him used in the middle of the ground.
Jarrod Brander trains with teammates Luke Shuey, Nic Naitanui and Tim Kelly.
J
“The fact that he was 195cm, a pretty tall lad and pretty agile, we mainly played him forward and back,” he said.
“Certainly his fitness levels have been developed in a couple of pre-seasons over there with the Eagles and in some ways he is a bit like a Matt Rosa type I reckon, a tall sort of wingman.
Jarrod Brander gets away from a lunging tackle.

“It didn’t surprise me when they started mooting that they were going to develop and play him there, because he is pretty versatile and it is pretty hard with Jack and Josh up forward to play any of those key roles.”
Brander was solid in the Eagles’ round one win over Melbourne, finishing with 13 possessions and seven marks as he continued to adjust to his new role.
He returned from isolation to find himself training alongside Eagles A-graders Luke Shuey, Elliot Yeo, Nic Naitanui and gun recruit Tim Kelly.
“He was in the senior side so when we started last week he was pretty much in the group that he played with,” coach Adam Simpson said.
“That’s not to say his position is a lock, but there hasn’t been too many opportunities to get out of the side in the last eight weeks so he hasn’t trained himself out of it, either.”
Sharp said Brander was the type of player who would do what was best for the team and had done so at under-18 level.
“Jarrod is a delightful young fella, really quite mature, and will fit in with whatever he needs to do,” he said.
“He can play forward or back and if he can play on a wing, that’s just going to give him another string to his bow.
“I think he is pretty well set up. He is at a successful club and they’re all about development. He is in a pretty good place, I would think.”

TRAINING NOTES: Jeremy McGovern notable absentee from West Coast training while Liam Duggan slims down, sports new mullet

In contrast to Fremantle, West Coast’s Monday training session was very light, with running and drills the main highlights of the session. Here’s what we saw.
Skills focus
The Eagles warmed up in smaller groups of seven or eight before launching into a full skill session.

Two of the groups were out on the track playing skill games.
One featured Josh Kennedy, Oscar Allen, Bailey Williams, Nathan Vardy. Brendon Ah Chee, Jarrod Cameron and Anthony Treacy.
Josh Kennedy.

The group practised some sharp shooting under the supervision of Luke Webster on Mineral Resources Park’s main oval.
On the secondary oval, Will Schofield, Jackson Nelson, Tom Cole, Brad Sheppard, Josh Rotham and Ben Johnson did similar drills with Jaymie Graham.
Other groups warmed up indoors.

Notable absentee
There were 40 players on the track once they broke into full field skill drills.
Jeremy McGovern was the most notable absentee.
Mitch O’Neil (back) has been left in Tasmania to rehabilitate from injury while Daniel Venables (concussion) and Willie Rioli are also away from the club.
Shannon Hurn gets a belting from Nathan Vardy.

Duggan and Barrass join slim club
Of note: Liam Duggan has gained hair and lost weight.
The 23-year-old half back has joined the ranks of the COVID-19 haircuts with a spectacular mullet that was creating quiet an aerodynamic effect as Duggan went through his paces in the skill drills.
Tom Barrass: They say McGovern has lost a considerable amount of weight during the shut-down and it must be said that Barrass looks to have followed suit, the 24-year-old power defender looking very trim.
A slim-looking Tom Barrass.

https://www.investing.com/magazine/...tp[campaign_item_id]=2899549821&im[p19]=28899

Can you post the West’s update about McGovern, or at least give us the gist of it?

Also I’m annoyed that they said we had 40 (of our current 45-man squad) on the track but only listed four players who were missing (Gov, MON, Rioli and Venners).

Just read the article.

Runny nose, feeling flat.

Quote from the article re squad numbers:
"Apart from McGovern, Willie Rioli (provisional WADA suspension), Daniel Venables (concussion issues) and Mitch O’Neill (at home in Tasmania nursing an injury), the Eagles had everyone on the track."

Just read the article.

Runny nose, feeling flat.

Quote from the article re squad numbers:
"Apart from McGovern, Willie Rioli (provisional WADA suspension), Daniel Venables (concussion issues) and Mitch O’Neill (at home in Tasmania nursing an injury), the Eagles had everyone on the track."

Cheers. Hopefully that means there was 41 on the track and they miscounted the first time round.

I haven't heard anything about our new Ruckman on the training track - the Jamieson lad - what's the go with him? Any input to share?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back