Training 2020 Preseason

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Ling is in rehab according to the article a few weeks back

body no good
I understand the negativity, but man, it's not really as bad as you make it out to be.

Most of injury and body conditioning is luck, and writing off a player's body due to bad luck is really cruel.

Having said that, he may never make it, he may never be able to prove himself, but don't kid yourself into thinking it because his body was never good enough. We all have to realise that luck plays a massive roll in how these players fare.

So instead of signing anything you say about Ling with "body no good", try saying "what an unlucky player".

Of course you don't have to, I would just prefer that we respected players that have been unlucky in the endeavours

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Quick pitstop at training this morning....

Hard contested ball drills. Matt Ling wan't in any of the groups but spotted him running. Looks fit, as does Sam Naismith who showed a bit of pace for a big man. Luke Parker had a heavily strapped knee and was also running.
More academy/extras than I've seen in other years.
Elijah Taylor's height? He was standing next to Jeremy Laidler and they were similar in height. He's no flyweight like some of the new arrivals.
Stephens legs are Jetta-like, but quite highly defined so I guess he's already been doing some gym work.
No sign of Gould. Maybe back in the club house doing skin fold tests?
Rowbottom looked much stronger than this time last year.
All the new boys standing around waiting to be interviewed so we'll probably see something up on the site soon.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Quick pitstop at training this morning....

Hard contested ball drills. Matt Ling wan't in any of the groups but spotted him running. Looks fit, as does Sam Naismith who showed a bit of pace for a big man. Luke Parker had a heavily strapped knee and was also running.
More academy/extras than I've seen in other years.
Elijah Taylor's height? He was standing next to Jeremy Laidler and they were similar in height. He's no flyweight like some of the new arrivals.
Stephens legs are Jetta-like, but quite highly defined so I guess he's already been doing some gym work.
No sign of Gould. Maybe back in the club house doing skin fold tests?
Rowbottom looked much stronger than this time last year.
All the new boys standing around waiting to be interviewed so we'll probably see something up on the site soon.
A lot of benchmarking to do once they've stretched and loosened.

I know it's said every pre-season but Mills and Heeney are looking like absolute beasts based on recent social media posts by the Swans. I know they're lumbered together a lot because of their academy connections and our drafting them in back to back year, but I think they are the two who can take us to the promised land. They are the two of all the youngsters who have mix of talent and leadership that great teams have. A big year from them would be absolutely huge for us I reckon.

I know it's said every pre-season but Mills and Heeney are looking like absolute beasts based on recent social media posts by the Swans. I know they're lumbered together a lot because of their academy connections and our drafting them in back to back year, but I think they are the two who can take us to the promised land. They are the two of all the youngsters who have mix of talent and leadership that great teams have. A big year from them would be absolutely huge for us I reckon.
Reckon a lad named Blakey makes a trio :)

Yeah, it is totally inexplicable, its like he is the star player on the team or something...

who said it was inexplicable

richmond dont focus on Martin that heavily etc

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
who said it was inexplicable

richmond dont focus on Martin that heavily etc
I just went through the last two weeks of news stories at https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/all-news

Of the 43 stories, only one mentioned Franklin.

It wasn't even about him, it was a puff piece on Brody Rowles that said training alongside Franklin is starting to make it feel real that he is on an AFL list - https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/539417/new-swan-relishing-crazy-ride-

I just went through the last two weeks of news stories at https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/all-news

Of the 43 stories, only one mentioned Franklin.

It wasn't even about him, it was a puff piece on Brody Rowles that said training alongside Franklin is starting to make it feel real that he is on an AFL list - https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/539417/new-swan-relishing-crazy-ride-

geez its friday night dont you have something better to do

I dont look at the website, meant twitter, Facebook instagram etc

just hope he stays fit

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
geez its friday night dont you have something better to do

I dont look at the website, meant twitter, Facebook instagram etc

just hope he stays fit
It's Friday morning where I am.

I just scrolled through the instagram feed of the club. In the last 10 weeks there have been more than 100 pictures posted, seven were of Franklin.

Had a look at Twitter and Facebook too, can't be bothered counting but the story is the same - the vast majority of content has nothing to do with him.

So... yeah, no idea why you think that the Swans news rotates around Buddy.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
What I think is more interesting is the amount (or lack of it) that the swans are mentioned on the AFL website. The Swans havnt been mentioned for ages and if the article is about the draft (of which there is many) The Swans are lucky to get 1 sentence written.
An example is when the other clubs announce their new player numbers, it makes a story on the afl website.. not the Swans

JeremyVanHolden

Debutant
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Wonder if the swans news will ever stop revolving around buddy

I know what you mean, he is on the Instagram swans story every day it feels like. Unfortunately this will continue mainly because it is a way of getting around wage limitations. He is obviously paid the max but his contract would state he must be seen on social media platforms a lot more for exposure and all that. Similar to other high profile players where their contract limits them with regards to earnings. Hence why you won’t see some players on the social media platforms much at all and others seem to be on it every day!

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
I know what you mean, he is on the Instagram swans story every day it feels like. Unfortunately this will continue mainly because it is a way of getting around wage limitations. He is obviously paid the max but his contract would state he must be seen on social media platforms a lot more for exposure and all that. Similar to other high profile players where their contract limits them with regards to earnings. Hence why you won’t see some players on the social media platforms much at all and others seem to be on it every day!

Except that...

In the last 10 weeks there have been more than 100 pictures posted, seven were of Franklin.

JeremyVanHolden

Debutant
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Except that...

I just had a quick 2 minute browse on swans Instagram and he’s seen in their story twice in the past 6 hours, and 2 pictures posted in the last 4 days so with a bit more I’m depth look I’m sure I could find him another 6 times ok some form of social media taking into account the last 10 months!

Just to clarify, I’ve nothing against him being seen so often because he is who he is but I’m just telling the facts about it! It’s in his contract to be seen on social media more than others and those are just the facts.

Back