Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm no wrap for Archie on anything I've seen but I'm prepared to accept that he's still very young for a ruck prospect and he's certainly big enough.

If Stef went down I'd rather Eagles than any of the others . Obviously they're all just learning and someone could really improve this year.

What I really like about this is that our Non Vic selections are at this stage better than our Vic selections.

Would be even better if they were all Queenslanders.

BRISBANE

Victoria: Darcy Gardiner, Stefan Martin, Hugh McCluggage, Cam Rayner
All Stars: Harris Andrews, Charlie Cameron, Lachie Neale, Dayne Zorko

Fresh off All Australian seasons, any - or all - of Harris Andrews, Lachie Neale and Charlie Cameron would look right at home in the All Stars team. Dayne Zorko's ability to split time between midfield and as a goalkicking forward option could see him edge one of his teammates, though. On the Victorian side, Hugh McCluggage was one of the best wingmen in the competition in 2019 and would fit in seamlessly on the big stage with his sublime ball use entering the forward 50. Darcy Gardiner is under-rated and capable of playing on talls or smalls, although it will be a hard 22 to crack. – Michael Whiting

Genuinely good Vlog this one.
Some good vision of the Match Play and a bit of fun stuff too.

Good article on Herald Sun, copied and pasted below incase its paywalled

Inside the Brisbane Lions pre-season camp in Tasmania

Greg Davis, Herald Sun
January 25, 2020 3:53pm

Brisbane Lions senior coach Chris Fagan preaches the importance of constantly trying to improve.
Because about the only thing you can control in football is you and your effort.

The straight-shooting Fagan says there is every chance the Lions will be a better football team in 2020 compared to 2019.

But that doesn’t mean they will finish with more wins that last season’s breakout campaign when they rose from the competition’s outhouse to penthouse.

Whatever the final win-loss ratio, Brisbane will rest in the knowledge they left no stone unturned trying to get the best out of themselves.

The Lions spent the past week in Hobart on a pre-season camp – the fourth year in a row they have headed south to Tasmania to escape Brisbane’s heat and humidity and focus on leadership, team bonding and reinforcing the game plan.

In among training sessions, two match simulations, team meetings, lunches, dinners and golf, there was time for some table tennis and lots of cricket at the student accommodation at the University of Tasmania’s Sandy Bay campus.

There was even a spot of yachting courtesy of the members at the Derwent Sailing Squadron.

There was no mistaking the genuine camaraderie within the tight-knit Lions football operation.

Not to mention the sharp focus, determination and professionalism when they hit the on-switch. Don’t make the mistake of thinking the Lions will be complacent after their 2019 heroics – they mean business in 2020.

And whether it’s taking a leaf from Liverpool’s book and bringing game-like intensity to every training session, or highlighting that external noise means nothing compared to your own actions by showing the scathing pre-draft report then the career record of NFL legend Tom Brady, the Lions are on the never-ending quest to learn and get better.

Last season’s finals loss to GWS is referenced but only as a teaching tool to reinforce the importance of sticking to the game style – a fast-moving and direct game style that worked.

“I thought the finals were a positive experience, other than the results,’’ Fagan said.

“We played particularly well in both finals without getting a win so there was a lot that we could draw from that. What it told us is that we still need to fine-tune as a team and have that level of concentration to be able to do the right things at the right moments.

“The relationship-building work we do on this camp is really important because if you’ve got a really strong bond between teammates and they all understand what they are supposed to be doing at any given time, you give yourself a really good chance at success.

“Things aren’t always going to be good but as long as we keep learning from it, eventually we’ll get there. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.’’

Whenever Fagan addresses his team, he asks a lot of questions and the players speak up. He delivers some pointed but measured feedback when required — as Ely Smith discovered in a team huddle during a match simulation after not passing to teammates — but meetings are more conversations than sermons.

“It builds leaders but also sends the message that it’s not about one person. If we are going to be good, we all have to be involved. They have embraced that, they were quiet early days, but they make a lot of sense when they speak up,’’ Fagan said.

He welcomes the extra eyeballs and extra pressure that will be on Brisbane in 2020.

“How you deal with it is just trying to improve and not worry about the result. Can we win 16 games again? I don’t know. Not many teams do it,’’ Fagan said.

“We may well be a better team this year and win 13, 14 or 15 games because there’s a whole lot of other teams that are pretty good.

“But we aim to be really fit for Round 1 and our goal is to make finals.

“We know there’s more expectation around us but if we want to be any good, that’s just what you have to deal with.’’

Wasn't Archie given a long contract extension? That says to me the powers that be think he can be something

He was, but then after that he was cut and encouraged to explore his options with other clubs. The latter seems more condemning than the former seems supportive.

Made me feel really proud of the club I support. Is it just me or is there a bit of a dig at the culture at unmentioned previous club?
It's just his experience and the distinct culture Fagan and Noble and the club have created that came across to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Made me feel really proud of the club I support. Is it just me or is there a bit of a dig at the culture at unmentioned previous club?
I got that too, although perhaps more of a thoughtful reflection on two different club cultures than an outright dig.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back