briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I reckon matho might get a chance early on but if he doesn't show a bigger impact than last year very quickly he might find that opportunity has passed him by, with Berry 2, Ely and Dev moving ahead of him in the pecking order.

I'm a matho fan so id hate to see that happen but it feels like at this point he hasn't done enough to show he brings something different or superior to the table than any other fringe mid, and the team may prefer to see whether the youngsters are able to deliver at the afl level
Yeah, the last paragraph of my post covered Mathieson and Corey Lyons. My guess is they’re the two to get a go early if the midfield needs some one different. CEY possibly starts in the 22.

Just a gut feeling, Berry junior might be a bit behind at the moment. From the two sessions I’ve watched, he’s struggled some what.

Of the younger players, McCluggage and Rayner have been the standouts.

Witherden has been rather anonymous.

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah, the last paragraph of my post covered Mathieson and Corey Lyons. My guess is they’re the two to get a go early if the midfield needs some one different. CEY possibly starts in the 22.

Just a gut feeling, Berry junior might be a bit behind at the moment. From the two sessions I’ve watched, he’s struggled some what.

Of the younger players, McCluggage and Rayner have been the standouts.

Witherden has been rather anonymous.

That's disappointing about witho, I was hoping he'd be the young bloke to stand up and look to anchor the backline in either a hodge or rich style role going forward . Let's hope it's not a sign of things to come

That's disappointing about witho, I was hoping he'd be the young bloke to stand up and look to anchor the backline in either a hodge or rich style role going forward . Let's hope it's not a sign of things to come

Depends on how you look at it. Is anonymous bad or is it good he's no longer in the standout underperformers? He's done a lot of work on his running so think blending in with the pack is not a bad thing.

I don't think he's guaranteed best 22, but think he'll be close to a lock.

Flossie32

Team Captain
May 28, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rick, I have a different opinion of what constitutes a mature response.
IMO why even respond, A mature response is “no response.” Respond with on field performance. If we validate every negative opinion where do you stop. Next we’ll have Terry Wallace invited because he thinks we’ll be in for 10 years of pain, or every time Matthew Lloyd takes a pot shot at our expense. So far during Fagan’s time we have ignored all the negative opinions and we have just gone about our business of improving and winning games of football. Suddenly we have become precious and a bit touchy because a media personality who is paid to be controversial has us not making the eight. Really! Who cares what Cornes or any other thinks. We respond with an invite? I guess we now have money to spend for a junket holiday for Cornes, considering the savings we’ve just made making our Media guy redundant.

maybe they may offer k cornes our media manager role that is Now vacant 🤣 <wink wink>

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Depends on how you look at it. Is anonymous bad or is it good he's no longer in the standout underperformers? He's done a lot of work on his running so think blending in with the pack is not a bad thing.

I don't think he's guaranteed best 22, but think he'll be close to a lock.
Yeah, that’s more like it from my perspective.

Just from my two viewings, Rayner and Cameron have been the standouts on the field, simply because they’re so dynamic.

McCluggage has stood out in the running as no one has got near him, and he looks so smooth.

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah, that’s more like it from my perspective.

Just from my two viewings, Rayner and Cameron have been the standouts on the field, simply because they’re so dynamic.

McCluggage has stood out in the running as no one has got near him, and he looks so smooth.

So pleased to hear cam is a standout. Hopefully that reflects him having put in a bit more work already rather than just his natural baseline talent

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So pleased to hear cam is a standout. Hopefully that reflects him having put in a bit more work already rather than just his natural baseline talent

Sports people who are extremely gifted often are a bit lax when it comes to training, thinking they can get by on natural talent. McEnroe was notorious for not doing much training or practice

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions

Rayner looks trimmer and although he still ends up at the tail when the laps are on, he gives the impression (to me) as generally more comfortable with the manner in which he runs.

I agree about McCluggage. He looks fantastic. He could be anything this coming season. Should have been AA this year IMO.

Did I tell you I'm going to get an early bet on him for the Brownlow?.......(before his odds shorten :D )

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
IMO why even respond, A mature response is “no response.” Respond with on field performance. If we validate every negative opinion where do you stop. Next we’ll have Terry Wallace invited because he thinks we’ll be in for 10 years of pain, or every time Matthew Lloyd takes a pot shot at our expense. So far during Fagan’s time we have ignored all the negative opinions and we have just gone about our business of improving and winning games of football. Suddenly we have become precious and a bit touchy because a media personality who is paid to be controversial has us not making the eight. Really! Who cares what Cornes or any other thinks. We respond with an invite? I guess we now have money to spend for a junket holiday for Cornes, considering the savings we’ve just made making our Media guy redundant.

I do get this but I think the way we went about it was clever, it was a put up or shut up bluff call. Yeah like crap he will find time to come up and watch training for zero dime. Even got the knob to acknowledge he hasn't been involved in club land for five or six years! Seriously wrong footed the fool and he will think twice about taking loose shots at us again.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I reckon Ely was played out of position last year as from memory he was played mainly as a flanker. To me he is an inside mid and hopefully will be trialled in that spot in the reserves. I wasn’t really that impressed with him but see him more as a project player.
Didn't Ely have an interrupted year with a stress issue in his foot and only came back into the team and play good footy late in the year.
I think we need to hold judgement on Ely - this time last year we were wrapped to have him.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The beauty of BigFooty and disparate opinions!

Berrygood

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rayner looks trimmer and although he still ends up at the tail when the laps are on, he gives the impression (to me) as generally more comfortable with the manner in which he runs.

I agree about McCluggage. He looks fantastic. He could be anything this coming season. Should have been AA this year IMO.

Did I tell you I'm going to get an early bet on him for the Brownlow?.......(before his odds shorten :D )
He will be special, McCluggage, thats for sure. Gotta lock him in long term this year. 5-7 yrs for whatever cash he wants. Id be shattered if someone poached him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Replays of our 2019 games have been my bedtime viewing for the past week or so. One thing that has stood out is what a good player Answorh is and will become. Loves the contested ball, can mark, is very clean with his disposals and has a great footy brain. If you watched him play without knowing where he was drafted, you'd think it was surely in the first round. What a steal!

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He will be special, McCluggage, thats for sure. Gotta lock him in long term this year. 5-7 yrs for whatever cash he wants. Id be shattered if someone poached him.
Hughies 2020 season will be interesting. I have no doubt that he will be one of the first of our players hunted when opposition sides come to play us next year. This will be another side of his game that we will observe how he manages each week. We saw a little of it in 2019 but 2020 wit will be a regular occurrence for sure. It may give another wing/mid the chance to shine.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Replays of our 2019 games have been my bedtime viewing for the past week or so. One thing that has stood out is what a good player Answorh is and will become. Loves the contested ball, can mark, is very clean with his disposals and has a great footy brain. If you watched him play without knowing where he was drafted, you'd think it was surely in the first round. What a steal!
The word I think about watching hime is - poise. He seems to take the right options more often than other at the same age. He doesn't have 'time' like McCluggage but his first instincts are good and your right he is clean.

Fagenslions36

All Australian
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hence why great news to hear he is the standout on the training track . Great players just keep running and eventually break their tagged if they are good enough . I’d Hugh does get extra attention leaves guys like Neale and Zorko off chain . Not sure you want Zorko running around at will .

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Jarrod Berry was the only player running better than Hugh McCluggage at training on Wednesday, Berry is a machine, Clugga is very nearly there.

Something I didn't mention earlier from training was that Cedric Cox and Zac Bailey were doing a lot of laps together while others were doing drills, half a lap at a steady pace and half at pretty high tempo, Cedric looking bigger and fitter.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Jarrod Berry was the only player running better than Hugh McCluggage at training on Wednesday, Berry is a machine, Clugga is very nearly there.

Something I didn't mention earlier from training was that Cedric Cox and Zac Bailey were doing a lot of laps together while others were doing drills, half a lap at a steady pace and half at pretty high tempo, Cedric looking bigger and fitter.
Also Cedric was doing a lot of set shot kicking for goal, while most of the other players were doing team orientated drills.

Sort of stood out he was not training with the group.

Instead of simply kicking for goal, he looked like he was deliberately aiming for the near goal post. Every shot either hit or grazed the post, or just missed within inches.

Also Hodge and his youngest son (?) were there. There were a few boys around Hodges boy age having a kick about the whole time.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some piccies from this morning. Unfortunately (for me, not for them) the one to fours were given the day off, so only about half the squad were in attendance (Zac Bailey must have missed the memo). It was flopping hot.
As usual great photos Mr Ripper.
I love the "orange netted man on the mark pole"
CEY is a unit but not as ripped as some.
Hodge must be a Queenslander now as he is not wearing a hat or just crazy.
Hot an understatement top temperature today 39 C @ 12.56pm

Some piccies from this morning. Unfortunately (for me, not for them) the one to fours were given the day off, so only about half the squad were in attendance (Zac Bailey must have missed the memo). It was flopping hot.
Love your work, Rip!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back