Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

So do we all wear our Lions hat backwards so we know who the BF members are?

I’m easy to spot. I’m the bloke trying to stop a toddler eating pebbles, grass, leaves, etc.

I’d settle just to get him to stop crying!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Great to get out to training again for the first time in a couple of years.

Thanks to briztoon and Dlions for the Intel and chat today.

A few things:

Ely Smith and Starc are seriously well put together young lads.

MRobbo was in the rehab group with Christensen and Madden.

A Smith was absent.

They played 2 X 10 minute games.

The possibles led for most of the game and I think it finished in a draw. Yeah the Boyz!

Probables looked a bit scratchy. Had a couple of horrible turn overs.

Neale is a freak in traffic, just has so much poise and vision.

Hipwood kicked a couple of goals for the probables.

McFayden came up with some big plays for the possibles. Caught three players holding the ball, Cameron, Clugga and Ah Chee? And was rewarded each time with free kicks. Also kicked a goal and a behind.

Skinner dropped a couple of grabs for the possibles inside forward 50 that he probs should have held.

Payne played for the probables, mist likely in place of Adams who didn't participate.

Birchall played the first 10 minute game and sat out the second (I think). Rich then switched from the possibles to the probables.

On ya scoman good to meet you and briztoon.

Particularly in the first 10mins the possibles were the better team and did most of the scoring.

Blokes like Corey Lyons and Matho were very good in the trenches for the possibles. Maybe the probables were in a little bit of preservation mode???

Coincidentally it was when Rich swapped and when to the Probables team, the game changed and they started to control the game a little more and out scored the possibles in the second 10.

As scoman said above, McFadyen was pretty good and hard at the contest. Cam Rayner also made some good hard tackles.
AhChee got caught with the ball once but looked very clean by foot and looks a good option in defence.

When all said and done, they all had a good hard crack and I think we will have a very good NEAFL team again this year. Even with all of the changes with the depth players that left the club.

Scores ended 20-20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few things:

A Smith was absent.

The possibles led for most of the game and I think it finished in a draw. Yeah the Boyz!

McFayden came up with some big plays for the possibles. Caught three players holding the ball, Cameron, Clugga and Ah Chee? And was rewarded each time with free kicks. Also kicked a goal and a behind.

Skinner dropped a couple of grabs for the possibles inside forward 50 that he probs should have held.

Payne played for the probables, mist likely in place of Adams who didn't participate.

Birchall played the first 10 minute game and sat out the second (I think). Rich then switched from the possibles to the probables.

Particularly in the first 10mins the possibles were the better team and did most of the scoring.

Blokes like Corey Lyons and Matho were very good in the trenches for the possibles. Maybe the probables were in a little bit of preservation mode???

Coincidentally it was when Rich swapped and when to the Probables team, the game changed and they started to control the game a little more and out scored the possibles in the second 10.

As scoman said above, McFadyen was pretty good and hard at the contest. Cam Rayner also made some good hard tackles.
AhChee got caught with the ball once but looked very clean by foot and looks a good option in defence.

When all said and done, they all had a good hard crack and I think we will have a very good NEAFL team again this year. Even with all of the changes with the depth players that left the club.

Scores ended 20-20.
Any comments on Birchall and CEY?

A few things:

A Smith was absent.

Scores ended 20-20.

Thanks for the write ups. Any early impressions on dev Robertson?

Thanks for the write ups. Any early impressions on dev Robertson?
His kicking is a work in progress, but has very good hands in close in congestion.

I’m not putting any expectations on the younger kids at the moment. I think most of last years draftees and this years draftees are a ways off yet.

I believe/hope Payne, Bailey, Ah Chee, Cox, Answerth and Starcevich will be the younger players pushing for selection.

Skinner and Ballenden have also looked good, but they might be a little further back than the players above.

I’m also of the opinion that CEY and Birchall are further away than we may have hopped for.

Last edited:
Didn't notice him much tbh during the match play. We did notice during the drills he was being very careful with his kicks to make sure he hit his targets.
I saw him win a loose ball in the defensive 50, and fire a handball out to an open player (can’t remember who), in the first “quarter”. However the ball was turned back over on the next pass.

His kicking is a work in progress, but has very good hands in close in congestion.

I’m not putting any expectations on the younger kids at the moment. I think most of last years draftees and this years draftees are a way aways yet.

I believe/hope Payne, Bailey, Ah Chee, Cox, Answerth and Starcevich will be the younger players pushing for selection.

Skinner and Ballenden have also looked good, but they might be a little further back than the players above.

I’m also of the opinion that CEY and Birchall are further away than we may have hopped for.

I'm disappointed to hear that about CEY. When we got him my feeling was he was the kind of guy we'd probably play based on match ups given there's a but of a knock on his leg speed, but I kind of got my hopes up after hearing the rave reviews of his conditioning!

Still, even if he isn't a 22 game player this year I'd hope he can still give us some extra strength around the contest when we need it while providing some depth for Lyons and Lach.

I'm disappointed to hear that about CEY. When we got him my feeling was he was the kind of guy we'd probably play based on match ups given there's a but of a knock on his leg speed, but I kind of got my hopes up after hearing the rave reviews of his conditioning!

Still, even if he isn't a 22 game player this year I'd hope he can still give us some extra strength around the contest when we need it while providing some depth for Lyons and Lach.
If fit come round 1, CEY will play.

I do wish the club, via the website/app, could keep us more up to date on the injuries or niggles they players have over the off season. After hearing who is in the rehab group on here, it would be nice to know why and for how long.

I do wish the club, via the website/app, could keep us more up to date on the injuries or niggles they players have over the off season. After hearing who is in the rehab group on here, it would be nice to know why and for how long.

See this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back