Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he said that we wouldn’t make the finals?
This suggests it was that we can’t win the flag?

“I was invited to join the group by coach Chris Fagan after I said on SEN I didn't think Brisbane can win the flag in 2020.”
Yep, 2018, his precise words were "Brisbane don't play finals next year". Responding to this gem from Lloydy - "Brisbane are so far off a premiership it's not funny".
And then this year Cornes said he doesn't think we can win the flag in 2020.

Kane Cornes written a very complimentary article about lions in sen for those interested .

So predictable.

I don't care much what Cornes said one way or the other, but if he'd had the nerve to double down on his comments after looking them in the eye and watching them train that would at least have been interesting.

That's very big of Cornes to not just say those words in the Lions vid but to commit to them in the SEN article. Good on him for not just sitting in the armchair on this one.

That's very big of Cornes to not just say those words in the Lions vid but to commit to them in the SEN article. Good on him for not just sitting in the armchair on this one.
Completely agree, think cornes is a massive tool but a lot of commentators stick to an argument just because it gets them headlines and airtime. Very few will admit they were wrong like cornes has.

I heard some of his talk about us on SEN....he sounded genuinely impressed. He doesn't strike me as a man who backs down if he believes in what he is saying or who is also not afraid to admit if he is/was wrong.

I don't have a problem with any of it. I find his opinions refreshing instead of the usual sheep mentality.

...anyway, someone saying we might not make it should spur the boys on somewhat to prove them wrong.

I also liked the attitude the club took to Cornes's comments, so did Cornes.

I got the vibe that someone was holding a gun to Cornes' head out of shot. Felt contrived.

Bit of PR, might bring the players together a bit, and remind them of the dangers of being complacent a bit too. Don't mind Cornes he isn't afraid of being outspoken and good on him for actually following through and visiting training.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just hate it when I read articles like Cornes wrote. Pre season prognostications by scribes are by definition generally wrong.

Get off the bandwagon Cornes.

I just hate it when I read articles like Cornes wrote. Pre season prognostications by scribes are by definition generally wrong.

Get off the bandwagon Cornes.

I would rather others write us off. Both the Eagles in 2018 (hence trade with GC) and Tigers 2017 were not given much of a chance. Probably the Dogs too in 2016

"After dropping six kilograms midway through last season, he shed another four kilograms during the off-season before reporting for training in mid-November."

Shame he’s a very average footballer

Ever positive me thinks Archie will click soon, like Martin did after coming to us. Could be even this season, hope we reap the benefits of sticking around with him this long. Archie's leap is still better than anyone I've seen.

By what standard are we judging Archie? He is no Stefan Martin in terms of getting disposals around the ground but he gets the ball just as much as Oscar. Oscar can outmark him but gets the ball less on the ground. Oscar is only averaging 0.5 goals per game though. Archie can really lay a tackle. His jump and tap is much better than either Martin or Oscar. Im very comfortable having Archie as a back up to either player particularly given he is on the rookie list on rookie wages.

Compare him to some of the back up ruckmen in the league last year. I'd rather Archie than Zac Clarke, Lobbe and Phillips from Caltron, Smith and Stanley from Geelong, Tom Nichols, Dawson Simpson, Hickey etc. Remember how people on here wanted to trade a second rounder for Pruess last year. Bloke averages 8 disposals 0.3 goals and 2 marks a game. Archie also averaged the same amount of hitouts playing second ruckman than Preuss playing main. Archie is an absolute bargain of a player. Having an average ruckman as a back up is a luxury lots of teams dont have.

I also think having an exceptional ruckman is not that valuable in terms of AFL player positions. Richmond and the Dogs both won premierships with tumble weed playing ruckmen. Collingwood and Melbourne have not dominated the competition even with their elite tier ruckmen. West Coast won their premiership with Nic Nat on the sideline. You can coach around the ruck position. Having an average ruckman on cheap pay is good enough.

By what standard are we judging Archie? He is no Stefan Martin in terms of getting disposals around the ground but he gets the ball just as much as Oscar. Oscar can outmark him but gets the ball less on the ground. Oscar is only averaging 0.5 goals per game though. Archie can really lay a tackle. His jump and tap is much better than either Martin or Oscar. Im very comfortable having Archie as a back up to either player particularly given he is on the rookie list on rookie wages.

Compare him to some of the back up ruckmen in the league last year. I'd rather Archie than Zac Clarke, Lobbe and Phillips from Caltron, Smith and Stanley from Geelong, Tom Nichols, Dawson Simpson, Hickey etc. Remember how people on here wanted to trade a second rounder for Pruess last year. Bloke averages 8 disposals 0.3 goals and 2 marks a game. Archie also averaged the same amount of hitouts playing second ruckman than Preuss playing main. Archie is an absolute bargain of a player. Having an average ruckman as a back up is a luxury lots of teams dont have.

I also think having an exceptional ruckman is not that valuable in terms of AFL player positions. Richmond and the Dogs both won premierships with tumble weed playing ruckmen. Collingwood and Melbourne have not dominated the competition even with their elite tier ruckmen. West Coast won their premiership with Nic Nat on the sideline. You can coach around the ruck position. Having an average ruckman on cheap pay is good enough.
I judge him based on the fact that he’s had 6-7 years in the system yet looks lost when he plays. Yes he can jump but that’s really all he’s got and surely he should at least be dominating at NEAFL level which he doesn’t.

I say, we should leave all “judgement” until he is given a decent run at AFL level.

Not gonna happen. If there is a vacancy, Skinner or Ballanden must get an opportunity. Or go smaller and rely on McStay for the backup.

Not gonna happen. If there is a vacancy, Skinner or Ballanden must get an opportunity. Or go smaller and rely on McStay for the backup.

That's assuming we want to play Oscar as the main ruck, which I'm not convinced we would. I think we'd preference Archie and Oscar over Oscar and Skinner. In the same token, if Oscar went down, I don't see us playing Smith over Ballenden or Skinner.

That's assuming we want to play Oscar as the main ruck, which I'm not convinced we would. I think we'd preference Archie and Oscar over Oscar and Skinner. In the same token, if Oscar went down, I don't see us playing Smith over Ballenden or Skinner.

I would prefer Oscar & Skinner, but it is what the match committee thinks that counts. Conor Ballanden must get the chance to show his wares at some stage.

I would prefer Oscar & Skinner, but it is what the match committee thinks that counts. Conor Ballanden must get the chance to show his wares at some stage.
I am not convinced that Oscar is ready to ruck 75-80% of a game yet.
So Oscar and Skinner I don’t really see as an option.
But I don’t think that Archie is Ready for that either.
The most like for like replacement for Stef if he went down, for me, would be Matty Eagles. But I doubt we would pull that pin.
Would most likely be Oscar and Ballenden who might be able to spend more time in the ruck than Skinner.
I might very well be wrong? Because I haven’t seen him play there but I can’t really see Skinner playing in the ruck.
But I would love to see him in the forward line, with his mongrel.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back