Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Hippy kicked 3 in the last. One was a pearler from the pocket.
And Zac Bailey kicked his 4th, he looked really good.
Jarryd Lyons was also very good.
The game as a whole was very competitive and the B team accounted for themselves very well. Especially in the clearances around the ground, probably skills let them down the most.
Game ended up around 85-50 or there abouts. 4-20 min quarters.

Thanks for the updates!

The game as a whole was very competitive and the B team accounted for themselves very well. Especially in the clearances around the ground, probably skills let them down the most.

That's an awesome summary, thanks for the effort, much appreciated!

Outstanding work, Dlions Much appreciated.

Appreciate the reports mate. Great to hear regarding Zac Bailey. Could be set for a break out year entering his 3rd season.

Interested in your thoughts on Rayner, Cox, Ely Smith and Starcevich if you'd like to share?
Rayner was pretty good early But then ghosted a bit after that.
Ely was good and seems to have learnt from Fagans roasting In Tassie. Centred a beautiful ball to Tom Fullerton in the second quarter, but after doing some great body work on Harris to create some space, Tom dropped the sitter that Ely put on him.
Starc was very clean with the ball but didn’t seem to get a lot of it.
Cox got cleaned up in the last quarter by none other than Mitch Robbo. Both were down for a period but both were ok, Cox got a Corky out of it. He played a forward role for the B team and kicked 2.
Coleman on many occasions found himself out in space delivering the ball forward. Kicked 1 himself and a beautiful tap to Cox for one of his.

Rayner was pretty good early But then ghosted a bit after that.
Ely was good and seems to have learnt from Fagans roasting In Tassie. Centred a beautiful ball to Tom Fullerton in the second quarter, but after doing some great body work on Harris to create some space, Tom dropped the sitter that Ely put on him.
Starc was very clean with the ball but didn’t seem to get a lot of it.
Cox got cleaned up in the last quarter by none other than Mitch Robbo. Both were down for a period but both were ok, Cox got a Corky out of it. He played a forward role for the B team and kicked 2.
Coleman on many occasions found himself out in space delivering the ball forward. Kicked 1 himself and a beautiful tap to Cox for one of his.
Thanks mate much appreciated !

Great to hear about bailey has the inside and outside game I think that can be a real weapon for us . Plays similar to Zorko I guess could rotate them forward and in the middle together. That effort probably gets him a spot on the bench. Is it reasonable to assume atm that if birchyl is up and about answorth May be unlucky one to miss out round one ? Seems ah chee is gonna be there and no way is birch up here for NEAFL .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I saw mostly on Hippy except in the 4th Q when he moved up the field a bit. Not sure if he was told to rotate on opponents. Interestingly that is when Hippy kicked his goals in the final Q. Surely he plays in the preseason games and if he plays anything like he did today and even last week, he must be putting pressure on Adams. Same with Skinner if/when fit, he has been doing good things by all accounts in the preseason. Time to give a couple of young blokes a crack who can add to the team.

From what I saw mostly on Hippy except in the 4th Q when he moved up the field a bit. Not sure if he was told to rotate on opponents. Interestingly that is when Hippy kicked his goals in the final Q. Surely he plays in the preseason games and if he plays anything like he did today and even last week, he must be putting pressure on Adams. Same with Skinner if/when fit, he has been doing good things by all accounts in the preseason. Time to give a couple of young blokes a crack who can add to the team.
There are two players I really liked the look of last year in the NEAFL and that is Payne and Fullarton. Payne was a class above at this level and Fullarton was always impactful by making smart decisions when he got the ball. Looks like a natural forward and is clean below his knees probably due to his basketball background. Payne should get an early opportunity to play full back but I think Adams will be our first choice initially. Payne is a better size to play key position and Adams to me is better playing as the third tall as a intercepting back man.Paynes strengths are his body positioning and his kicking while Adams is his speed and marking. Adams got carved up last year in the finals and got lost ball watching on many occasions. His only great game was against Geelong where he carved up Hawkins. McStay should also get the first opportunity to play as a key forward but to me if he does not start kicking goals he should be replaced. Due to his poor kicking for goals he is happy to dish the ball off to outside players . He does everything right except for his kicking and makes quick decisions when he gets the ball. This is why Walker was off loaded because whenever he marked the ball he would take several minutes to make a decision on what to do next. By this time the opposition would structure up behind the ball and it would then become a 50/50 ball when he kicked it. I hope Walker improves this side of his game at North Melbourne. Ballenden on the other hand is still learning to become more impactful with his body. He is a big boy and for whatever reason is not overly aggressive. To me this needs to be learnt and when he gets better at this part of his game he will become a good player. His kicking for a big man is elite and this will hold him in good stead in the years to come. To me he is more of a project player.

Feedback from the coach's bench was that Hippy kicked 5.1 in total. Was tag teamed by both Eagles & Payne.

Did it once and I’ll say it again, this boy has a future in the medjia! Seen his guest appearance on the cricket, listened to his podcast and his articles are top notch. Hope he gives Fish a run for his money as the top flight AFL medjia person in Qld when he retires.

I can't see that it's been mentioned so far, but Connor McFadyen played for the Probables last night, which I found interesting. He did play very well for the Possibles the previous Friday. Could be a bolter.

How did he go last night? Was he playing up forward for the most part?

The Marsh Series is going to be huge for guys like Connor, Skinner etc and getting a round 1 berth.

How did he go last night? Was he playing up forward for the most part?

The Marsh Series is going to be huge for guys like Connor, Skinner etc and getting a round 1 berth.
I personally only saw him with the ball once. Not saying that is the only time he got it, but he didn’t stand out.

Feedback from the coach's bench was that Hippy kicked 5.1 in total. Was tag teamed by both Eagles & Payne.
Only can report on what I saw and Hippy kicked at least 3 goals in the final Q when Payne was more up-field, and appeared Eagles was marking Hippy. DLions in his 3/4 post yesterday appeared to confirmed this. Payne has the speed to match Hippy, and demonstrated that yesterday.
A 20 year old Payne is a long way in-front of a 30 year old Cat B Eagles who will not get an AFL game unless he is upgraded due to a long term injury. I would like to see Payne and a couple other of the young guys be a bit more aggressive like Eagles, but I feel a few of them are starting to. It could be argued that only for the AFL allowing a 4th year as a Cat B, Eagles would likely not be on the Lions list, he is simply back up in case of long term injuries. Yes Bailey played very well and it is great to see the young guys gaining in confidence.
On the many games I saw in NEAFL last year, yesterday and even the prior week intra club games, I am making a bold call and providing Payne plays well in the upcoming trial games he gets a gig against a tall Hawthorne forward line at the expense of Adams who maybe goes as an Emergency although I would like to see Skinner given that opportunity. Sure Birchall wants to play against his former club in round 1 and he has not come up to play NEAFL but we have some genuine depth and spots should be up for grabs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back