Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't see that it's been mentioned so far, but Connor McFadyen played for the Probables last night, which I found interesting. He did play very well for the Possibles the previous Friday. Could be a bolter.

We do seem to like our bigger body mids. We seemed to really chase another bigger midfielder to help throw some weight around, would not surprise me to see us really building some depth. If it is a structure change rather than just a player forcing their way in, then you need depth. If CEY is that player for instance, you would want players to play that same role so things dont have to change too much due to injury.

From what I saw mostly on Hippy except in the 4th Q when he moved up the field a bit. Not sure if he was told to rotate on opponents. Interestingly that is when Hippy kicked his goals in the final Q. Surely he plays in the preseason games and if he plays anything like he did today and even last week, he must be putting pressure on Adams. Same with Skinner if/when fit, he has been doing good things by all accounts in the preseason. Time to give a couple of young blokes a crack who can add to the team.

Hey Ralphy2017 - it is good to hear from another ressies watcher that gives a bit analysis. Keep it up :thumbsu:

I'm one who hasn't forgotten how good Birch. is . Fit and well he's a lock.

Payne showed a lot of promise last year . Looks like he's improving at a fast rate.

Which provides us with a good dilemma. They can't all play with Answerth ,Adams ,Rich ,Witherden and Ah Chee all seemingly set when the season started. Unless we suffer injuries some of these guys are going to have to call on their versatility.

It’s gonna be a tough call clearly for the 3rd key defender spot . Payne or Adams . Payne is an absolute monster who will be able to play on the Ben browns , Kennedy’s , Lynch’s , Cameron’s etc as he has pace and size . You got Andrews who at what 21/22 is an all Australian defender and Gardiner who is rarely beaten and we have the nucleus for one of the best defensive units going into 2020 and beyond .

if it’s against the hawks I think fagan will probably play it safe and go with Adams ( Andrews on Lewis / Adams on Gunston / Gardiner on Patton but it’s pretty exciting to know we got some serious talent likely to debut this year.

team is only getting stronger in next few Years aswell with 2 first rounders locked in for 2020 .

Only can report on what I saw and Hippy kicked at least 3 goals in the final Q when Payne was more up-field, and appeared Eagles was marking Hippy. DLions in his 3/4 post yesterday appeared to confirmed this. Payne has the speed to match Hippy, and demonstrated that yesterday.
A 20 year old Payne is a long way in-front of a 30 year old Cat B Eagles who will not get an AFL game unless he is upgraded due to a long term injury. I would like to see Payne and a couple other of the young guys be a bit more aggressive like Eagles, but I feel a few of them are starting to. It could be argued that only for the AFL allowing a 4th year as a Cat B, Eagles would likely not be on the Lions list, he is simply back up in case of long term injuries. Yes Bailey played very well and it is great to see the young guys gaining in confidence.
On the many games I saw in NEAFL last year, yesterday and even the prior week intra club games, I am making a bold call and providing Payne plays well in the upcoming trial games he gets a gig against a tall Hawthorne forward line at the expense of Adams who maybe goes as an Emergency although I would like to see Skinner given that opportunity. Sure Birchall wants to play against his former club in round 1 and he has not come up to play NEAFL but we have some genuine depth and spots should be up for grabs.
I reckon you are spot on however I don’t know whether the coaching hierarchy will make too many changes with our side at the start of the year. I also really like Payne we will see how many talls they can fit in the side

Payne showed a lot of promise last year . Looks like he's improving at a fast rate.

Which provides us with a good dilemma. They can't all play with Answerth ,Adams ,Rich ,Witherden and Ah Chee all seemingly set when the season started. Unless we suffer injuries some of these guys are going to have to call on their versatility.
Do you think Payne could play in the forward line like he did in Perth ? He has elite endurance and is a fantastic mark. Could play as a lead up forward ?

When did he play in the forward line in Perth ? Yet to debut ?
My apologies my fellow Lions supporters I meant Adams not Payne. I am pretty sure Adams played centre half forward in Perth. He was recruited by the Bulldogs as a mature ager from memory. While playing AFL he has been used as a back man but I was thinking that because our backline has a number of talls and Payne May eventually play full back I was wondering what everyone thinks of Adams playing as a forward? He came second in our 3 km time trial and is an elite mark this would make him a great option as a lead up forward

Can’t seem them throwing Mcstay out atm to be honest . And if Adams plays forward for Payne to be down back probably means big o misses out .

My apologies my fellow Lions supporters I meant Adams not Payne. I am pretty sure Adams played centre half forward in Perth. He was recruited by the Bulldogs as a mature ager from memory. While playing AFL he has been used as a back man but I was thinking that because our backline has a number of talls and Payne May eventually play full back I was wondering what everyone thinks of Adams playing as a forward? He came second in our 3 km time trial and is an elite mark this would make him a great option as a lead up forward
His kicking is pretty average though from all reports. Not exactly an ideal replacement up forward. I'd rather persist with McStay. But good to have options I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its the case now where we can confidently play horses for courses, where we have more capable depth to change it around to match a tall or small opposition fwd set up. Our defence has come on in leaps and bounds the last cpl of years, thanks to Hodge and hard work, its become a real unit. It seems now we have 8 or 9 players that can play afl level as well as a few good youngsters developing. You're right about their versatility, Adams can go fwd, so could Ah Chee, Answerth could certailny handle time on the wing i think. Rich, Witherden, Starcevich can pinch hit in the midfield if required. This unit can contribute all over the park.

I think its the case now where we can confidently play horses for courses, where we have more capable depth to change it around to match a tall or small opposition fwd set up. Our defence has come on in leaps and bounds the last cpl of years, thanks to Hodge and hard work, its become a real unit. It seems now we have 8 or 9 players that can play afl level as well as a few good youngsters developing. You're right about their versatility, Adams can go fwd, so could Ah Chee, Answerth could certailny handle time on the wing i think. Rich, Witherden, Starcevich can pinch hit in the midfield if required. This unit can contribute all over the park.
I reckon they need to play a quick defender in the backline to lock down any speedy forward. To me this means Ah Chee should be trialled there.

I reckon they need to play a quick defender in the backline to lock down any speedy forward. To me this means Ah Chee should be trialled there.
Would like to see him taking more than a couple of intercept marks and overlap running to finish off his work this year

I would really like to see Madden given a chance at some stage. He is one who does actually have elite speed and can use it. He can also make thing happen by foot although his technique is somewhat unorthodox.

I'm assuming our preferred method of setting up down back would be with Payne at fullback. We would then be able to use Andrews in the Fletcher/Scarlett role.

The game has changed quite a lot since back then.

Birchcall is or was good?
Not sure you can really say at this point.

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 8.33.34 pm.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back