Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

What makes you say that? I suspect he's got a decent hitout to advantage rate, not easy to find out if that's actually true though.

I think any talk of trying Ballenden or Wooller in place of McInerney/McStay is a bit premature unless we plan on changing our gameplan from the back half of last season. Their roles were primarily about taking contested marks or bringing the ball to ground, something others on the list probably wouldn't be as effective at.

Just my assessment from watching him. Loses too many ruck contests. Hitouts to advantage isn't everything. You also have to worry about conceding them.

On one hand, Im happy we are getting some solid representation.

On the other hand...PLEASE NO INJURIES!
Orh mate, that would be devastating. 5 of our most influential players, crucial to to this season and any chance of finals success. A long term or season ending injury to any of them would be tough, to 2 or 3 of them would be debilitating.

I hope the game is played in a light hearted spirit, i hope theres no real sting in the tackling and its a showcase of skill and attack. 27 players per team suggests this may be the case, plenty of interchanges, limited time on ground. Still, anything can happen but i guess its no greater risk than the preseason matches.

Orh mate, that would be devastating. 5 of our most influential players, crucial to to this season and any chance of finals success. A long term or season ending injury to any of them would be tough, to 2 or 3 of them would be debilitating.

I hope the game is played in a light hearted spirit, i hope theres no real sting in the tackling and its a showcase of skill and attack. 27 players per team suggests this may be the case, plenty of interchanges, limited time on ground. Still, anything can happen but i guess its no greater risk than the preseason matches.
I think they should play it under AFL9s rules, no tackling.

I hate to be cynical but I hope all this money being raised for bushfire relief not only from this but the big concert and other events gets to where it's needed most.
Unfortunately not. The funds raised for this are going into the AFL's own fund, which they're spending on rebuilding AFL facilities in affected areas. None to actual people and families.

I mean, the facilities are good and all, but wouldn't be my highest priority for a direct donation.

Unfortunately not. The funds raised for this are going into the AFL's own fund, which they're spending on rebuilding AFL facilities in affected areas. None to actual people and families.

I mean, the facilities are good and all, but wouldn't be my highest priority for a direct donation.
Is that right? Money raised goes to fixing Afl facilities and thats all. Im not sure how i feel about that. I would have thought the Afl should fix that up out of their own pocket if they were serious about chipping in. Any money raised from this game should go to all victims. I bet most of the crowd believe that to be the case. Its very narrow minded i think.

Wow really. 0 trust in AFL to do the right thing if thats the case.

Oscars ruckwork is very average but it's been working having him in the team. Could go either way

Problem with Stef is he's pretty poor at centre bounces but a lot better at ball ups and throw ins where he can use his body.
Was it Leigh Matthews that basically said the centre bounces are mostly pointless. Have seen games where a team gets murdered in the ruck but win clearances comfortably

It was also a problem to that Celeste lady who raised 10's of millions. She originally set it up as a donation for the RFS I think. Then when the fund got so big she tried to diversify so that more money could go to other areas. Except legally she couldnt change it. Once locked in you cant change who the money is for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aren't they skipping a preseason match to play? Probably less likely to be injured in this game than a preseason game because of the better standard of football combining with the lesser stakes.

It was also a problem to that Celeste lady who raised 10's of millions. She originally set it up as a donation for the RFS I think. Then when the fund got so big she tried to diversify so that more money could go to other areas. Except legally she couldnt change it. Once locked in you cant change who the money is for.
Legally she could if she'd done it as a standalone donation drive but because she did it through PayPal (IIRC) and their charity arm she couldn't due to their policies as a charity. Doubling down on that, RFS can't legally give to victims, only themselves.

Fairly ordinary if the AFL is going to use the proceeds of the game at their own prerogative for whatever facilities they deem worthy.

Yet clearly marketed as supporting victims.

Why am I not surprised

Fairly ordinary if the AFL is going to use the proceeds of the game at their own prerogative for whatever facilities they deem worthy.

Why am I not surprised
Tennis Australia has done the same with the money (approx $5.2M) it raised with its Rally for Relief prior to the AO and other fundraising activities by re-building tennis courts / clubs in fire effected areas. The money isn't going directly to individual people affected.

Why am I not surprised
Maybe have a read before popping off and appearing ignorant. They’ve been pretty open all along about what funds will be used for.

Why am I not surprised...

Two of the other teams that have our numbers are flag favourites. This is what we have become.
We are now a strong team and the selection of our players empowers them to feel they are among best and let's be honest this hasn't been possible for 15 years.
FWIW heard Jack Riewoldt saying most wanting to run out with Harris Andrews.

Two of the other teams that have our numbers are flag favourites. This is what we have become.
We are now a strong team and the selection of our players empowers them to feel they are among best and let's be honest this hasn't been possible for 15 years.
FWIW heard Jack Riewoldt saying most wanting to run out with Harris Andrews.
The only thing we’re really missing is a gun KPF.

Fair enough.

My experience with donations and doing a bit of voluntary work with charity organisations leaves me cynical that the money often never arrives to where it should . That's if what's promised comes in.

But I would hope that wouldn't deter anyone from giving. God knows some people really need it. I wonder if there mightn't be some qualified CEO to donate his time to oversee this whole process Australia wide because it must be a nightmare bringing all of the various campaigns together and containing the wastage.Plus the duplication of admin that would be occurring now.

The only thing we’re really missing is a gun KPF.
Not sure it's imperative,besides we have some players emerging who could change up our dynamics in the forward line.
You can get to Grand Final day and actually win the game without Tom Lynch or Jeremy Cameron on your team.

Not sure it's imperative,besides we have some players emerging who could change up our dynamics in the forward line.
You can get to Grand Final day and actually win the game without Tom Lynch or Jeremy Cameron on your team.
I wouldn't want Jeremy Cameron in our team if he would come for a dollar, but I sure wouldn't mind a KPF. Ballenden is brimming with confidence i hope he keeps up his execution gets in and stays best 22 this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back