Resource 2020 AFL Draft Order

Remove this Banner Ad

You clearly did not take it. Went over your head. Once you mention Sharp it shows you did not think.
Nothing to do with him.
It is about Ken Wood and a trade of picks he approved that do not pass the sniff test.
Anyway, lets not derail this great thread any further.

I’ll stop. Once I’ve expressed my amazement that, with no evidence to back yourself up, you are questioning the integrity of Ken Wood. The one person at AFL house that has never done anything to deserve that.
The trade passed the sniff test, which is what I was addressing.

The simplest explanation is that you are incapable of rational thought, but react emotionally to anything that does not directly benefit your own club.

Sorry Lore, I had to address this attack.

Last edited:
They were not trading pick 11 for 15... lol

It is pick 11 of 2020 and pick 64, in exchange for pick 27 of the day.

C'mon man, when Ken Wood sees the draft picks proposed in deal he has to apply sniff test but apparently in current climate suns deals rubber stamped no matter what....we can give them more assistance if this gets them in mess again....

Sharp is totally irrelevant at that point because he is not even drafted yet....c'mon.. THINK!!!
I know where you're coming from but this deal is in the Cats favor so why would it be rubber stamped as a no matter what assistance for the Suns or are you just alleging gross incompetence from the Suns recruitment team for doing the trade?

Depending on how Jeremy Sharp tuns out it could eventually be seen as a masterstroke.

I know where you're coming from but this deal is in the Cats favor so why would it be rubber stamped as a no matter what assistance for the Suns or are you just alleging gross incompetence from the Suns recruitment team for doing the trade?

Depending on how Jeremy Sharp tuns out it could eventually be seen as a masterstroke.
The other factors that would have been taken into account with the trade are that the Suns still retain their normal first round pick for 2020 (likely to be in the range of 1-4), and could still have free access to a couple of highly rated Academy talents in Davies and Jeffery. Those accusing the Suns of incompetence apparently can crystal ball that next year’s pick 11 is guaranteed to be superior to a dual U18 AA in Jeremy Sharp with a year already in the AFL system.

Finalised for 2019

You do not show you know where I am coming from if you are talking about Cats, Sharp or Gold Coast.
It is about Ken Wood and sniff test of picks taking place here.
It really should be simple to think through and get in the end.

Does anyone know what points deficits clubs will carry into the 2020 trade period/draft? Also when they get applied?

Does anyone know what points deficits clubs will carry into the 2020 trade period/draft? Also when they get applied?
Not sure who, but it's whatever round they picked in.

It’s applied right before the trade period starts next year to their pick in the round that they matched in.

I don’t have the exact values atm though.

I can only consciously recall Fremantle having a deficit of any note when Carlton bid on Liam Henry, Fremantle did not have anywhere near enough points to match bid on picks they had late in this draft, so in real time did a live trade with Port to get more points of draft picks this draft for a future 2nd rounder. It meant they reduced the deficit held over next year quite a bit. I think I remember working out it would mean Fremantle first round pick next year is likely to be 3 or 4 picks down the order to make up the deficit.

So for example if Fremantle finish same spot on ladder as this year, via ladder they should be pick 6 in next years draft but due to deficit of points the DVI difference between pick 6 and 9 should make up the points they owed to match on Henry and the clubs that were going to have pick 7, 8 and 9 would move up one spot each for Fremantle to go back to pick 9 to pay their debt for matching Henry in round one of this 2019 draft.

It’s applied right before the trade period starts next year to their pick in the round that they matched in.

I can only consciously recall Fremantle having a deficit of any note when Carlton bid on Liam Henry, Fremantle did not have anywhere near enough points to match bid on picks they had late in this draft, so in real time did a live trade with Port to get more points of draft picks this draft for a future 2nd rounder. It meant they reduced the deficit held over next year quite a bit. I think I remember working out it would mean Fremantle first round pick next year is likely to be 3 or 4 picks down the order to make up the deficit.

So for example if Fremantle finish same spot on ladder as this year, via ladder they should be pick 6 in next years draft but due to deficit of points the DVI difference between pick 6 and 9 should make up the points they owed to match on Henry and the clubs that were going to have pick 7, 8 and 9 would move up one spot each for Fremantle to go back to pick 9 to pay their debt for matching Henry in round one of this 2019 draft.
I think GWS will also have a fair sized deficit. But as they don't have a first rounder, it will just mean their second rounder gets pushed back to the fourth round.

GWS used picks 41, 56, 59, 67 & 71 to match the Green bid at pick 10. Total points 862.
Pick 10 with discount cost 1116 points.

Therefore, 254 points comes off the 2nd rounder that they now hold.

Bid details in link.

Stinks a bit as the AFL initially advised, when matching a bid for a player, if you go into deficit, the deficit must come from the pick in the round where the bid emanated from. I.e. from 2020 1st round pick.

If there's a deficit and no 2020 1st round pick, you should not be able to match the bid. Can of worms has been opened but watch it get closed now, in the same manner the stock piling of late picks has been scrapped for vacant list spots only.

GWS used picks 41, 56, 59, 67 & 71 to match the Green bid at pick 10. Total points 862.

Therefore, 254 points comes off the 2nd rounder that they now hold.

Bid details in link.

Stinks a bit as the AFL initially advised, when matching a bid for a player, if you go into deficit, the deficit must come from the pick in the round where the bid emanated from. I.e. from 2020 1st round pick.

If there's a deficit and no 2020 1st round pick, you should not be able to match the bid. Can of worms has been opened but watch it get closed now, in the same manner the stock piling of late picks has been scrapped for vacant list spots only.
Looks right to me.

I'm not sure whether to include it in the draft order or not. Once the next season starts everything is automatic, but the last time I tried to include a deficit the automation broke just about every week and was a complete pain in the arse (that was when GWS had the 1000 point penalty for the Whitfield stuff).

Given the AFL don't apply deficits until right before the trade period anyway it might be better to just put a note on it somewhere that the pick will drop back about 2 rounds...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The caveat is that trading out your first round pick limits the deficit you can go into.

However that is pretty much never going to come into play anyway given the massive deficit required before it matters, and we're only seeing the first real deficits now at less than 300 points.

The AFL have updated their information: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-12...rrack-against-in-2020-your-clubs-future-picks

Everything I had was correct bar one: Collingwood has North Melbourne's third round pick, while GWS retained their own.

The rest of what I had is the same as what the AFL have got in that article.

Gotta be some kind of miracle that what I had wasn't more inaccurate than that.

View attachment 787804

Hate to be picky on what has been a superb job on your behalf here....But I'm Finding it a smite difficult to separate out the difference between the Second & third rounders, based on your colour code scheme....The similar shades are doing my perception in.

Hate to be picky on what has been a superb job on your behalf here....But I'm Finding it a smite difficult to separate out the difference between the Second & third rounders, based on your colour code scheme....The similar shades are doing my perception in.
Would you happen to be colourblind perchance? I had someone who was colourblind look over my spreadsheets a while ago and check that things made sense, but there's different types so :shrug:

Could possibly make the orange a bit stronger I suppose. I just used the base palette that google sheets has.

Would you happen to be colourblind perchance? I had someone who was colourblind look over my spreadsheets a while ago and check that things made sense, but there's different types so :shrug:

Could possibly make the orange a bit stronger I suppose. I just used the base palette that google sheets has.

Probably more age related due to slight macular degeneration....But those subtle hues aren't helping much.

I'm not color blind & nor do I require glasses for driving or reading.

Good resource - will be interesting matching it up with the NGA threads so we can work out which teams will try to trade up, and which teams will try to trade down for extra points

Interesting that GWS used five picks and still couldn't make up their deficit. If next years draft is as nga and fs heavy as thought then these late picks will run out very fast. Some clubs will be forced to either use much earlier picks than they would like to match or go into much bigger deficits.
A canny list manager with an early pick or two could bid on the academy players in sequence to gut all the cheap points out of the draft.

A canny list manager with an early pick or two could bid on the academy players in sequence to gut all the cheap points out of the draft.
Right until he overestimates how much a club wants a given player.

I'm confused, I didn't think you could use multiple late selections to match bids any longer. Cant you only take as many selections to the draft as you have list spots available or can you do it via live trading on the night?

It seems to me that the Giants matched a bid on an elite draftee with largely meaningless picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back