Resource 2020 AFL Draft Order

Remove this Banner Ad

Great effort Lore. Thanks for keeping this up to date throughout. It's the best resource on BF.

You get a rest for a week or so then back to it with Trade week and the 2021 instalment. :p I'm expecting another high volume of future picks trading hands due to so many academy players this year. Hopefully the AFL can be a little clearer this year, with what actual future pick is traded when teams have multiple picks in the same round.
Yeah that was pretty rubbish last year trying to figure out what pick went where.

The AFL House twitter account is the primary source I use, with statements on club websites/twitter accounts as secondary sources when the AFL House tweet is unclear. The clubs are usually pretty accurate but sometimes they like to spin things for marketing reasons whereas the AFL account is less biased.

The other good thing about the AFL House account is that they only publish a trade or FA move once the paperwork has been finalised and they're published in order of when they were done, so if I update it in the same sequence then it's more likely to match what they have and less chance of stuffing it up.

A rumour or club website sometimes posts something prematurely and there will be some pick involved that doesn't make sense because another trade or something had to happen first that we don't know about yet. That's also why I don't update it when people post stuff here and tag me...

I have the 2021 spreadsheet ready, I just haven't posted it yet as the thread will probably disappear off the first page at this rate lol and we have too many pins. I'll probably post it when trade period starts unless the AFL decides to hand out future picks as priority picks again before then.

Question, clubs can only go to the draft with a pick for each available list spot, what happens if they live trade a pick out for a future pick, is a later pick replaced or do they go to the back of the queue (or rely on another pick traded back in)?

eg Cats currently have 11, 13, 18, 34.
If they go to the draft with 3 available list spots, 34 disappears. If they trade one of those 1sts for a future pick, do they get #34 back, or a pick at the end of the draft?

Question, clubs can only go to the draft with a pick for each available list spot, what happens if they live trade a pick out for a future pick, is a later pick replaced or do they go to the back of the queue (or rely on another pick traded back in)?

eg Cats currently have 11, 13, 18, 34.
If they go to the draft with 3 available list spots, 34 disappears. If they trade one of those 1sts for a future pick, do they get #34 back, or a pick at the end of the draft?
I believe it depends when the trade occurs. Whatever available list spots exist at final list lodgement/prior to the draft, that equates to the number of picks available. Note that picks can still be traded after the Trade period finishes. Therefore, if Geelong's final list lodgement has only 3 vacant list spots, pick 34 disappears. If they trade one of their 3 1st round picks during the draft for a future pick, there 3rd pick will come at the end of the draft.

See OP for details: click here

If you would like to embed this spreadsheet elsewhere on the forum please copy and paste the following 😊
Code:
[MEDIA="googlespreadsheetnew"]1qZalgdA8pyGSTpXQxIcEGm8ZVacZOJNmHYs6YTQhbl8[/MEDIA]
I love seeing this detail on the comparison in points for each club. Just hate the fact that the Cats ended up so high on this given their final ladder position. Go Hawks!

Adelaide receive an end of second round pick for Rory Atkins
It starts.

Adelaide receive an end of second round pick (currently pick 36) for Rory Atkins, who has joined Gold Coast as an Unrestricted Free Agent:

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 12.27.36.png

Hawthorn receive a third round compensation pick for Isaac Smith
Hawthorn receive a third round compensation pick (currently pick 43) for Isaac Smith, who has joined Geelong as an Unrestricted Free Agent.

^Pretty sure they mucked this up. 42 is Hawthorn's original 3rd round pick after the Atkins compensation. Their Smith compensation is actually pick 43, which slots in directly after their original 3rd round pick.

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 15.07.40.png

Also had some formatting issues with the Atkins update, had a couple of Richmond's original picks in the wrong colours – it has been sorted out now.

Essendon receive first round compensation pick for Joe Daniher
GWS receive a first round compensation pick for Zac Williams
GWS receive a first round compensation pick (currently pick 10) for Zac Williams, who has joined Carlton as a Restricted Free Agent.

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 18.11.37.png

Fixed up the compensation pick colours too. Although I have a couple more to add now so they'll probably break again.

GWS receive a second round compensation pick for Aiden Corr

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fixed up the compensation pick colours too. Although I have a couple more to add now so they'll probably break again.
Knew I'd bugger this up.

Colour formatting for compensation/priority picks updated.

7 = Daniher
10 = Williams
13 = GC priority pick
30 = Corr
39 = Atkins
46 = Smith

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 18.29.44.png

GWS deficit should now be applied to their compensation pick in 1st round, deficits on 2nd rounds have no impact. Teams with top 10 picks now will end up with picks more like 15 or above when you take into account compensation picks and academy players. Whole system needs to be changed.

Love your work Lore.
Just a query I have.
How come they are announcing the compo picks so quickly? Doesn't it need to wait until the end of free agency as you may lose your compo or get it down-graded if you pick up a free agent yourself?
For example, Richmond got no compo for losing Conca via FA as we picked up Lynch in the same period.

Love your work Lore.
Just a query I have.
How come they are announcing the compo picks so quickly? Doesn't it need to wait until the end of free agency as you may lose your compo or get it down-graded if you pick up a free agent yourself?
For example, Richmond got no compo for losing Conca via FA as we picked up Lynch in the same period.
They announce the compo when they get it and then if they get a free agent coming in then the compo is cancelled at that point.

There is a slight overlap between the start of the trade period and the end of the free agency period, I suppose the compensation picks probably can’t be traded until the free agency period finishes but it’s not specifically in the rules.

Why is pick 66 bolded? I thought that was our first round pick?
And by first I meant fourth. Obviously. This draft isn't THAT compromised.

Updated draft order

Same as mine then 👍👍
Yep, so it's based on points.

39Port Adelaide*
40GWS*

*Greater Western Sydney's second pick was adjusted due to a 254.2 deficit from 2019
*Port Adelaide's second pick was adjusted due to a 115.9 deficit from 2019
So the dodgy as AFL website has re-released their indicative draft order and now they’ve applied Port’s deficit differently:

8837ED73-9FB7-427F-903D-E2F522CCFD2F.jpeg

https://www.afl.com.au/news/523048

Remove this Banner Ad

Back