Resource 2020 AFL Draft Order

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 14, 2020
Lore I know Port have a deficit of 116 pts for their matching bid on Jackson Mead last year at pick 25 ie a 2nd round bid.

Port have 3 x 2nd round picks at the moment Freo's, Collingwood's and Port's which your live spreadsheet says that they are picks 24, 32, and 37.

Am I correct in thinking that the 116 pts comes off Port's 2nd round pick and not the highest ranking one they acquired thru trades last year, so pick 37 if they were to trade it away, actually is 483 pts - 116 pts = 367 pts = Pick 44 with 362 pts.

So is pick 37 turned into pick 44 the correct starting point for Port in the draft before trade week starts??

Lore I know Port have a deficit of 116 pts for their matching bid on Jackson Mead last year at pick 25 ie a 2nd round bid.

Port have 3 x 2nd round picks at the moment Freo's, Collingwood's and Port's which your live spreadsheet says that they are picks 24, 32, and 37.

Am I correct in thinking that the 116 pts comes off Port's 2nd round pick and not the highest ranking one they acquired thru trades last year, so pick 37 if they were to trade it away, actually is 483 pts - 116 pts = 367 pts = Pick 44 with 362 pts.

So is pick 37 turned into pick 44 the correct starting point for Port in the draft before trade week starts??
That's a good question, I'm not really sure of the answer. Ordinarily I would have thought it would come off their own pick, but if a club doesn't have their own pick it comes off the pick that they have, not the one that they traded. When they have both their own pick and one or more that they've traded into the same round, I'm not sure if it would come off their own automatically or the one that is nearest to the same point in the draft or what. But definitely one of the second rounders would be docked if indeed it was a deficit from matching in the second round.

I’m pretty sure it comes off the highest pick. So in this instance, pick 24.

All deficits are applied to picks at the end of the finals, once we have the final ladder and the draft order is set, before the trade period begins.

I’m pretty sure it comes off the highest pick. So in this instance, pick 24.

All deficits are applied to picks at the end of the finals, once we have the final ladder and the draft order is set, before the trade period begins.
Yep. And it's nearly impossible to automate such things. Whenever I've tried it's involved far more work than I'm willing to put in on a weekly basis for a result that is often not accurate anyway due to incomplete information. The juice isn't worth the squeeze. Once they publish it officially I will cross check it :)

That's obvious, but I wanted to know which 2nd round pick it applies to if you have 3 at the moment and I used the live ladder to work out an example.

Yep. And it's nearly impossible to automate such things. Whenever I've tried it's involved far more work than I'm willing to put in on a weekly basis for a result that is often not accurate anyway due to incomplete information. The juice isn't worth the squeeze. Once they publish it officially I will cross check it :)
I wasn't suggesting for you to do that much work, just a clarification when you have more picks in that round than your normal pick where the deficit points are applied to.

Do you know of any examples since they changed the rule from deficit points are deducted from your first pick, to the pick in the round they were used the previous year to compare this to?

In Port's case it might be all academic as they will have to use them on NGA player Lachie Jones and Father Son Taj Schofield. This time last year it looked like Jones would be a 20-30 type pick and Schofield 10-15 type pick. They have switched positions it seems as Jones has played every game (I think) for Woodville West Torrens A grade this year and Schofield has only played U/18's.

I wasn't suggesting for you to do that much work, just a clarification when you have more picks in that round than your normal pick where the deficit points are applied to.

Do you know of any examples since they changed the rule from deficit points are deducted from your first pick, to the pick in the round they were used the previous year to compare this to?

In Port's case it might be all academic as they will have to use them on NGA player Lachie Jones and Father Son Taj Schofield. This time last year it looked like Jones would be a 20-30 type pick and Schofield 10-15 type pick. They have switched positions it seems as Jones has played every game (I think) for Woodville West Torrens A grade this year and Schofield has only played U/18's.
Yeah I don't really know sorry, they don't make anything about the deficits and surpluses very transparent and it doesn't happen that often, so the sample size is tiny. Normally you don't even know that there is a deficit, you find out when the draft order is published after finals and they put a note at the bottom saying that they've applied the deficit to such and such pick.

If you're really interested you could look up last year's final draft order on the AFL website and try and work backwards from there to see what the pick was before, and then after all that work you can take a guess why it was that pick that they applied it to 😊

Round 15, 2020

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 16, 2020
Round 16:
View attachment 957388

First time everyone has played the same number of games since the end of round 2.

thanks for keeping us updated with this

would ti be possible to include information regarding clubs that cant transfer or trade picks picks ?
(like maybe put a red line through the pick that cant be traded from left hand bottom corner to right hand upper corner ? - for example)

(and maybe add a unable to trade future pick at this stage column ?)

There was an article recently to say that Essendon & Hawks cant trade their first round pick and West Coast cant trade their future first round pick (2021 pick)

thanks for keeping us updated with this

would ti be possible to include information regarding clubs that cant transfer or trade picks picks ?
(like maybe put a red line through the pick that cant be traded from left hand bottom corner to right hand upper corner ? - for example)

(and maybe add a unable to trade future pick at this stage column ?)

There was an article recently to say that Essendon & Hawks cant trade their first round pick and West Coast cant trade their future first round pick (2021 pick)

It's not ironclad that they can't trade it. They can trade it, but they have to bring another pick in first, or apply for an exemption (which the AFL seems to hand out like candy).

There's more info on the AFL website:

It's not ironclad that they can't trade it. They can trade it, but they have to bring another pick in first, or apply for an exemption (which the AFL seems to hand out like candy).

There's more info on the AFL website:

then maybe place as star * next to the Hawks / Essendon first round pick

and maybe a star * next to West Coasts name so everyone in the next few weeks knows their is something that is in the back ground regarding their picks

Round 17, 2020
North delisted 11, this list state they have 5 picks. where/how do they get additional players even though playing lists are being reduced.
The draft order above shows their first 11 picks as it stands. I'm not sure how you read that and come out with 5?

Most clubs don't use 11 picks, and if they do they'll usually trade in more picks, but they can have more if they need, in rounds, reverse ladder order, indefinitely until they pass or their list is full.

North delisted 11, this list state they have 5 picks. where/how do they get additional players even though playing lists are being reduced.
First of all break down how many players were delisted from the senior list and rookie list.

Every year, many clubs delist more players than they take picks.

Because they plan on signing and trading in players from other clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back