Preview 2020 Qualifying Final 1 - Port Adelaide vs Geelong @ AO

MrMeaner

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We had a huge wave of momentum in August/September 2007.

We beat Hawthorn and Geelong in back to back weeks with literally the last kick of the game in both games. We then beat Freo to secure 2nd spot and a home QF by finishing only a small amount of percentage ahead of West Coast, largely due to Scott Lucas kicking 6 goals in the last quarter against West Coast. In the QF we came from well behind to beat West Coast and then we smashed North in the PF.

Even though it all turned out to be the biggest false economy of all time, we had built a massive amount of momentum and confidence in the lead up to that GF and it almost seemed like nothing could go wrong for us.

Also, Geelong's record in finals to that point had been poor. I think part of Choco's apparent confidence was putting pressure on Geelong in the hope they would fold. Yeah. That didn't work, did it?

Things are a bit different this time. But I am still scarred by the post-2007 period + our last outing against Geelong. I won't be confident until we are 4+ goals up with a minute to play. PTSD is like that.

Winning the midfield is crucial. Even then, we need to hold Rohan and the big boat-shoe wearing lunk.

x_les_x

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If we are at full strength the changes from the round 12 side:

Out: Farrell Mayes Georgiades Woodcock
In: Burton Marshall Ebert Rozee

Much more experienced harder edge ins. Feel like Rozee is just made for finals and will cherish this week off where he has been injured throughout the season

FutureShock

Team Captain
May 13, 2019
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That’s it in a nutshell start good kick straight we win.
With Port it really is that easy to predict.
I'm concerned about (among other things) our inability to play 4 decent quality quarters. In almost all our games we've had a couple of poor, scrappy quarters where we've barely scored. Not likely to get away with that from now on.

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm concerned about (among other things) our inability to play 4 decent quality quarters. In almost all our games we've had a couple of poor, scrappy quarters where we've barely scored. Not likely to get away with that from now on.
Looking at today’s game you don’t need to play the old four quarter stuff.
With the shorter quarters one good 15 minute burst can do it.
Teams win now going goalless or maybe one goal in a quarter.
In the old days you had no hope of winning a game going goalless but this is a different game sadly.

Byron!!!

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Looking at today’s game you don’t need to play the old four quarter stuff.
With the shorter quarters one good 15 minute burst can do it.
Teams win now going goalless or maybe one goal in a quarter.
In the old days you had no hope of winning a game going goalless but this is a different game sadly.

Against top sides no team is ever going to have it on their own terms for much more than half a game, let alone the whole game. As long as we limit the damage when we aren’t scoring ourselves.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back