Preview 2020 Qualifying Final 1 - Port Adelaide vs Geelong @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Bullish is one thing, cocky is another.

Choco was strutting around all week, opening up training sessions for fans and media to go nuts. The whole week was treated like a footy carnival. Training was like fun and games. Meanwhile Geelong quietly knuckled down, quietly got on with business, and took it seriously, something they were pilloried for during the week by the press. "Loosen up a bit Geelong. Be more like Port".

This week feels much more like quiet confidence to me.
Sitting in the crowd after the Kangaroos game, it was party time, we were just having fun at the footy game, there had been no tension in the game or the build up, we were clearly smashing them from early on, at the end I think the wave was going around the ground. Contrast that with '04 - every step of the way through the finals there was pressure and complete focus on getting to a GF, at the end of the Saints game it was absolute relief more than anything. The vibe in the crowd after the Kangaroos game was "well that was fun.........sh*t we're in a Grand Final". It was shock/surprise, it seemed to have just snuck up on us all, and I reckon that was the same for the whole club. I don't think anyone, coaches, players etc. had started to prepare mentally for it at all, and I think Choco just went with, god knows how we got here, but let's just have fun.

Sitting in the crowd after the Kangaroos game, it was party time, we were just having fun at the footy game, there had been no tension in the game or the build up, we were clearly smashing them from early on, at the end I think the wave was going around the ground. Contrast that with '04 - every step of the way through the finals there was pressure and complete focus on getting to a GF, at the end of the Saints game it was absolute relief more than anything. The vibe in the crowd after the Kangaroos game was "well that was fun.........sh*t we're in a Grand Final". It was shock/surprise, it seemed to have just snuck up on us all, and I reckon that was the same for the whole club. I don't think anyone, coaches, players etc. had started to prepare mentally for it at all, and I think Choco just went with, god knows how we got here, but let's just have fun.
Yes, the 2 finals campaigns were complete contrasts. I remember 2004 prelim it was sheer relief that we finally got to the big dance!

Yes, the 2 finals campaigns were complete contrasts. I remember 2004 prelim it was sheer relief that we finally got to the big dance!
I remember after the Saints game and the elation amongst the players, everyone was saying we had played our GF. I heard Tredders talk about it later and he said that the reason they celebrated so much was because they had always felt if they could just get into a GF they were good enough to win. They had just fallen at that hurdle in previous years.

Bullish is one thing, cocky is another.

Choco was strutting around all week, opening up training sessions for fans and media to go nuts. The whole week was treated like a footy carnival. Training was like fun and games. Meanwhile Geelong quietly knuckled down, quietly got on with business, and took it seriously, something they were pilloried for during the week by the press. "Loosen up a bit Geelong. Be more like Port".

This week feels much more like quiet confidence to me.

It's funny, my recollections are that Choco knew we where up against it and was just trying to enjoy the week.

There was a reference to the footy show earlier, again that came off to me like Choco saying ”Geelong are the best side but we won't make up the numbers". i.e we'll give it a crack but don't hold your breath.

During the game even, he was counselled to throw numbers behind the ball but didn't think it was in the spirit of the occasion.

Some harsh revisionism on this board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t mind it really if Clurey is not back. You don’t really need Clurey Jonas and McKenzie with Hawkins their one main tall

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Until they bring Stanley back, and play tall up forward to stretch our defence. That's the only concern going that way, especially after the mauling Hawkins gave us, not that I rate Ratugolea what so ever in any capacity as a footballer.

Our defence played well against Collingwood, who have a similar set up to Geelong with Dangerfield & De Goey being similar, and Hawkins playing the Mason Cox role as a tall but obviously a lot better.

If Geelong do go tall it can play into our favour with our leg speed. Wait and see what's announced tomorrow I guess.

During the game even, he was counselled to throw numbers behind the ball but didn't think it was in the spirit of the occasion.

I heard, I think Choco said it himself, was that he suggested putting numbers behind the ball and it was Phil Walsh who knocked it on the head due to it ruining the spectacle of a GF.

Until they bring Stanley back, and play tall up forward to stretch our defence. That's the only concern going that way, especially after the mauling Hawkins gave us, not that I rate Ratugolea what so ever in any capacity as a footballer.

Our defence played well against Collingwood, who have a similar set up to Geelong with Dangerfield & De Goey being similar, and Hawkins playing the Mason Cox role as a tall but obviously a lot better.

If Geelong do go tall it can play into our favour with our leg speed. Wait and see what's announced tomorrow I guess.

Good analysis mate. Seems like a Montgomery call. The back 6 were great against Coll with, like you said, a similar forward dynamic to Geelong (one big, a mid sized gun, then largely smaller types).

I like the brave call. It should help us move ball quicker and get back in front of Hawkins quicker.

Who does Clurey play on if Jonas goes to Hawkins ?

Who goes to Hawkins if Jonas is getting beaten?

Id rather stick to what has been working for us all year than try to get to clever by half heading into finals.

We have often seen Robbie Gray being marked by the oppositions full back and often to quite good success.

Id rather have the extra height for a third man up marker than not have it there.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's funny, my recollections are that Choco knew we where up against it and was just trying to enjoy the week.

There was a reference to the footy show earlier, again that came off to me like Choco saying ”Geelong are the best side but we won't make up the numbers". i.e we'll give it a crack but don't hold your breath.

Some harsh revisionism on this board.

That Choco was more worried about "the spirit of the game" than preventing "the most embarrassing grand final loss in the history of the game" tag being attached to our club is harsher than any revisionism i've seen.

I'm hearing Gary Rohan might be a late out for them. Just a rumor at this stage but would be a significant loss for them if true

That Choco was more worried about "the spirit of the game" than preventing "the most embarrassing grand final loss in the history of the game" tag being attached to our club is harsher than any revisionism i've seen.

As head coach, Choco owns that half time decision.

The “don’t lock things down, it’s not in the spirit of the game” idea allegedly came from Phil Walsh during the long break. Sadly he’s not around to dispute the claim.

Sadly *I* can’t recall who it was that said “it was Phil”.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back