Preview 2020 Qualifying Final 1 - Port Adelaide vs Geelong @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Our team defense has worked well all year and shutting off Hawkins leading patterns or cutting off his ability to be 1 on 1 should lead to a big turnaround on the previous result.

Our team defence also had Tom Clurey in it all year.

I'm not massively concerned about Clurey being out because of his height (he's not THAT big anyway) but more wtf do we do if Hawkins gets on top of Jonas.

If Geelong can isolate Hawkins again we're f’ed anyway.
Yep, Clurey’s height isn’t the issue. It’s what we have as back ups now that we don’t have that height.

If Jonas is on Hawkins, who takes Dangerfield when he goes forward? This seems like such a gamble.

McKenzie will get first crack at Hawkins which will leave Jonas to take Dangerfield when he goes forward.

If Jonas is on Hawkins, who takes Dangerfield when he goes forward? This seems like such a gamble.

Burton. Has the strength and size to go with him. Plus he'll have a pair of crutches out there to hopefully concuss him with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny, my recollections are that Choco knew we where up against it and was just trying to enjoy the week.

There was a reference to the footy show earlier, again that came off to me like Choco saying ”Geelong are the best side but we won't make up the numbers". i.e we'll give it a crack but don't hold your breath.

During the game even, he was counselled to throw numbers behind the ball but didn't think it was in the spirit of the occasion.

Some harsh revisionism on this board.

It was Williams who wanted to put numbers behind the ball to shut it down, but Phil Walsh was the one who told him that it was the grand final and he shouldn't shut it down.
As head coach, Choco owns that half time decision.

The “don’t lock things down, it’s not in the spirit of the game” idea allegedly came from Phil Walsh during the long break. Sadly he’s not around to dispute the claim.

Sadly *I* can’t recall who it was that said “it was Phil”.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

It came from Phil Walsh himself. It’s in one of his interviews that was published when he was coach of Adelaide.

Burton and McKenzie are 2cm shorter than Clurey.
The 'he's only 2 - 3 cm shorter!' fallacy is one that annoys me. That's 2 - 3cm body height, add in that'd be another 1 - 2 cm in arm length, then another 1 to 2 cm in vertical leap likely as well and 'only 2 - 3cm' is actually giving away 4 - 7 cm in marking contests.

But 10 News Adelaide on Tuesday night reported Clurey would not be selected for Port, despite recovering from injury and being the likely opponent for menacing Coleman Medallist Tom Hawkins inside Geelong’s forward 50.

Power veteran Hamish Hartlett fuelled speculation on Tuesday that Clurey wouldn’t face the Cats.

“Cluz’s form is probably what’s keeping him out of the team at the moment,” Hartlett told 10 News.

The 'he's only 2 - 3 cm shorter!' fallacy is one that annoys me. That's 2 - 3cm body height, add in that'd be another 1 - 2 cm in arm length, then another 1 to 2 cm in vertical leap likely as well and 'only 2 - 3cm' is actually giving away 4 - 7 cm in marking contests.

You're assuming vertical leap is constant when in fact both Burton and McKenzie probably have Clurey (and Hawkins for that matter) covered in that regard.

What about utensil length?

Asking for a friend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back