Qld 2020 Queensland Election - October 31

Who are you voting for/would you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If that's true, you aren't really representative of the general population and probably shouldn't be extrapolating your spending habits to everyone else.

Australians love travelling locally - as a population ~80% of our tourism dollars are spent domestically. Consequently even a small increase in how much most people travel in Australia will go a long way to offsetting the money lost from overseas visitors.

Simon Westaway, executive director of the Australian Tourism Industry Council, says that people are not going to convert a Thailand or Bali holiday into a trip up to northern Queensland - there's not a natural correlation between those things. He also points out that one in five Australians who want to work are either out of a job, on Jobkeeper or they are working less hours than they want to.

There may be some crossover into domestic travel but Deloittes are saying domestic tourism will fall between 42 and 68 per cent this year, and take two to four years to recover, while international tourism will be 75 per cent lower this year than in 2019 and take up to five years to fully recover.

He also points out that one in five Australians who want to work are either out of a job, on Jobkeeper or they are working less hours than they want to.

There may be some crossover into domestic travel but Deloittes are saying domestic tourism will fall between 42 and 68 per cent this year, and take two to four years to recover, while international tourism will be 75 per cent lower this year than in 2019 and take up to five years to fully recover.
Those are problems that will not be solved by lifting the international travel restrictions.

The fact remains that with open borders, Australia sends far more tourism dollars overseas than it brings in.

Obviously people are tightening their budgets due to the economic situation, and some travel is not directly substitutable, but all else being equal we are unlikely to be significant net losers from having overseas leisure travel curtailed - which was your initial claim.

Last edited:
LOL
Right wing ding bats is the answer.

Right wing ding bats howled at the moon because of Rudd's stimulus, they put 'targeted and scalable' in front of their own stimulus so that right wing ding bats can get on the interwebs to argue how their 300bn is different to Rudds 50bn.
They were both shithouse decisions.

QLD says they aint happy the feds are calling back the ADF from the border, deliberately putting pressure on their border controls

Frydo says this is a lie, and that they offered to maintain them

QLD digs out the letter, that specifically refutes this. QLD demands Frydo apologise for accusing them of lying.

and then Potato Head white knights Frydo :D

Peter Dutton has slammed Queensland's Deputy Premier Steven Miles in an extraordinary attack this afternoon, calling him a "school child" who "makes a fool of himself".

The Home Affairs Minister’s comments were in response to Mr Miles’ accusation that Treasurer Josh Frydenberg was “lying” by saying Queensland didn’t ask for an extension for ADF troops from the state’s border.

“This is yet another example of a Federal Government minister being sent out by the Prime Minister to attack our government in the local media here in Queensland being caught out lying” Mr Miles told reporters this morning.

“And I think it’s time, again, for Josh Frydenberg to apologise for the statements that he made this morning.”

Mr Dutton came to the Treasurer’s defence this afternoon, using his Austac press conference to lash Mr Miles for his “juvenile” behaviour.

“On a daily basis now, Mr Miles goes out and frankly makes a fool of himself in front of the press,” he said.

“He’s done it again today. It is like watching a juvenile go out there on a university campus and engage in university politics.

“He is supposed to be the Health Minister and Deputy Treasurer – Deputy Premier of this state and he is acting like a school child.

“His allegations today against the Treasurer are frankly a completely unfounded and it is no wonder he spent the hours since making those comments trying to back pedal from them.”

Mr Dutton called on Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to “pull (Mr Miles) into line”.

“His behaviour, frankly, is beneath the position of Deputy Premier and I think he should be embarrassed frankly by his outing again today, suggesting that the Commonwealth is not providing support or that we have got motivations for some other reason is just a nonsense.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“His allegations today against the Treasurer are frankly a completely unfounded and it is no wonder he spent the hours since making those comments trying to back pedal from them.”
I notice Potato never once said why the allegations were unfounded. If they supplied clear evidence in favour of their position, that's pretty compelling unless you can refute it. And he didn't.

I notice Potato never once said why the allegations were unfounded. If they supplied clear evidence in favour of their position, that's pretty compelling unless you can refute it. And he didn't.

morrison at least tries to disguise it

Frydo, Hunt, and Potato Head have been crass and blatant in their partisan attacks on VIC/WA/QLD

morrison at least tries to disguise it

Frydo, Hunt, and Potato Head have been crass and blatant in their partisan attacks on VIC/WA/QLD
Bit sad they're more interested in playing the partisan blame game than actually governing, but I don't know why I expected otherwise.

Bit sad they're more interested in playing the partisan blame game than actually governing, but I don't know why I expected otherwise.

Frydo and Hunt piss me off because their home state is in the middle of a lockdown, and they see it as nothing more than a chance to play politics

as a victorian i'd love for them to relocate to Sydney

Not a whole lot of this in the past 4 pages is even faintly on topic really.

Another well moderated BF thread.

You think the pm and cabinet attacking the Qld govt daily has zero to do with the election?

Really???

RE the Federal LNP trying to undermine the QLD ALP, I don't know why they bother, really.

Howard saw state governments that belonged to his own party as a liability and tried to undermine them where possible. I suspect the two main reasons would be 1) having a poorly performing state government reflecting badly on the feds if they're of the same party, 2) the state and fed government taking opposite views on the same topic would make the party as a whole look divided and 3) funding issues.

Although I don't see that they will, it wouldn't bother me much if the QLD LNP miraculously got up, because IMO they're likely to screw things up, and the resultant anger towards them could be directed in the Federal LNP's direction due to their association (much like how Goss suffered due to Keating's unpopularity).

They were both shithouse decisions.

I gave you a like because I respect your consistent commitment to right-libertarianism, if nothing else.

At least you're not one of those types who think that everything the LNP/ALP does is absolutely awesome and glorious, even though they excoriated the other side for doing it.

As to whom I'm voting for:

My state seat (Sandgate) is about as safe as you can get right now and has been held by the ALP ever since its formation, bar that 3 year spell with Newman. If the seat changes hands this year, then aliens will invade the day after.

I could well vote for the Greens just to troll Kram, or KAP just so I can say that Lebbo73 (who called me far-leftist once) and I have both voted for the same party within the last 5 years.

Besides, at least KAP don't repulse me the way PHON do.

I doubt North Queensland First will be a candidate in Sandgate.

Even though they gave Anning a political home even after his "final solution" speech? Even though PHON had washed their hands of him by that point?

They threw that tosser out eventually, though I agree that they shouldn't have taken him in to begin with.

As a whole, KAP have done fewer repulsive things than PHON over the years. Plus PHON are mostly reactionary LNP types at heart whereas KAP are more Menzies conservatives (socon Keynesians).

Clearly I favour the latter over the former.

Back