2020 Rate My Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I have quite limited faith in the basement price rookies coming through this year so will be likely spending up on the premo rookies to save the hassle of having non playing rookies in the bench after a couple rounds.

Current team and going strong in the Mids but I’m happy with the look of it

def: Smith, Houston, Docherty, Roberton, Williamson, brander (Gould, Williams)

mid: Dunkley, Gaff, b crouch, rocky, Mitchell, Rowell, Anderson, Serong (Pickett, mcinerny)

ruck: Grundy, O’Brien (Naismith)

fwd: Whitfield, wingard, Petracca, georgiades, Cameron, buderick (Rankine, mcadams)

utility: T brown

45k cash

Really like the team but that backline is not sustainable, you'll have to find a way to upgrade at least one of the 170k rooks as I dont think any of those will be there round 1
Yeah hadn’t even looked at the bench for a long time already moved Gould in to D6, the other two can stay till teams drop or I get a better idea of who will be picked round 1. Bench is more or less just placeholders at the moment.

Would be great if Fanhub upped their game and had a compatible field view on mobile instead of just a list view, don't get why they aren't taking a leaf from their predecessors Virtual Sports' book

Anyways

DEF: Lloyd, Laird, Houston, Doc, Gould, Greaves, McLennan, Watson

MID: Dunkley, Zerrett, Cogs, Adams, Cotchin, Rowell, Stephens, Pickett, Green, McInerney

RUC: Grundy, Sauce, Cameron

FWD: Dusty, Wingard, Petracca, Acres, Budarick, Close, King, Davis

Utility: Rivers

$1k leftover

Last edited:
Would be great if Fanhub upped their game and had a compatible field view on mobile instead of just a list view, don't get why they aren't taking a leaf from their predecessors Virtual Sports' book

Anyways

MID: Dunkley, Zerrett, Cogs, Adams, Cotchin, Rowell, Stephens, Pickett, Green, McInerney

RUC: Grundy, Sauce, Cameron

$1k leftover
Scrap the team

I need to get Titchell in somehow

Maybe Sauce down to Naismith or something

Edit: updated

MID: Dunkley, Zerrett, Cogs, Adams, Titchell, Rowell, Stephens, Pickett, Green, McInerney

RUC: Grundy, Naismith, Cameron

85k leftover, probably go on more expensive rookies. Not sure on Stephens/Green, probably just get Anderson

I guess my team won't change much aside from rookies though

Last edited:
Scrap the team

I need to get Titchell in somehow

Maybe Sauce down to Naismith or something

Edit: updated

MID: Dunkley, Zerrett, Cogs, Adams, Titchell, Rowell, Stephens, Pickett, Green, McInerney

RUC: Grundy, Naismith, Cameron

85k leftover, probably go on more expensive rookies. Not sure on Stephens/Green, probably just get Anderson

I guess my team won't change much aside from rookies though

Good to see you on the fantasy boards pups, team is looking good. Stronger back line than what a lot are running (myself included), with both Laird and Lloyd, not that that's a bad thing at all. A lot of others are giving the top premo defenders a miss as there arguably doesn't seem to be a lot of upside on either of those players.

Would be keen to hear some of your insights on the doggies boys as I've noticed you're giving Macrae a miss, any reasoning behind this or is it just not enough salary to fit everyone in and Dunkley seems to have big upside?

Lot's of people looking at Bailey Smith as well, do you think he will have the role to push that 85+ average to make him viable?

Liking the Naismith pick at R2, have recently done this to my side and it really frees up a lot of cash elsewhere and gives us time to see if Gawn will start slow after an injury impacted pre season.

Good to see you on the fantasy boards pups, team is looking good. Stronger back line than what a lot are running (myself included), with both Laird and Lloyd, not that that's a bad thing at all. A lot of others are giving the top premo defenders a miss as there arguably doesn't seem to be a lot of upside on either of those players.
I feel there's more upside in the forwardline currently, some players I pick to be season long keepers, I guess from not playing AFLF since 2015 I have a SC/DT limited trades mentality with some picks, I expect Lloyd and Laird to be top 6-8 defenders, so might as well get them in now and forget about them

Aside from Doc and Houston and maybe Dawson, I don't see much else in the subpremium/breakout range down back, but that's just me.

Acres apparently did his hammy though, so will have to get in Greenwood or someone now to replace him

Would be keen to hear some of your insights on the doggies boys as I've noticed you're giving Macrae a miss, any reasoning behind this or is it just not enough salary to fit everyone in and Dunkley seems to have big upside?

Lot's of people looking at Bailey Smith as well, do you think he will have the role to push that 85+ average to make him viable?
Macrae reminds me of prime Pendles, while he's an absolute gun, I feel we can get him cheaper as the season rolls on.

Smith should improve, but I feel Lipinski is the slightly better pick than him atm, but there won't be too much separating them. They absolutely could average mid 80s each, but I feel 90 is a stretch though considering our inside mids already mentioned then Hunter, Wallis and a few down back in JJ and Daniel etc, a lot of points sharing. Macrae and Dunkley probably have the advantage of being inside players who win a heap of it outside on the spread too, so imo they'd be our go toos for now. Bont is too much like Dusty in scoring habits imo being primarily a midfield finisher who goes forward, if he had forward status you pick him, but as a straight mid I feel 105 or so is his limit, much better suited to SC.

Liking the Naismith pick at R2, have recently done this to my side and it really frees up a lot of cash elsewhere and gives us time to see if Gawn will start slow after an injury impacted pre season.
A lot in SC/DT are considering Naismith too, but in AFLF he's not as big a punt in those formats considering we get 2 trades a week, so can fix him up if he gets injured/dropped etc.

Sauce would be the safer more expensive budget option though.

View attachment 834216

Still a work in progress and I'm absolutely rubbish at Fantasy so any feedback is welcome.

Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh. Place your players in price order.

tenor.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely yes!

Also, I'd ditch Carlisle, Darling and NicNat (last one mainly due to unreliability in staying on the park). Rest looks good.
I’ll see what I can conjure up. Nic is supposedly going to be back up to 80% game time this year so if he can stay on the park I can see him averaging around the 90 mark. Also hoping he’ll boost his price a fair bit if he can stay out there.

Darling I’ve picked due to his high marking tally and I’m expecting at least a 60 goal season, if not 70. But I don’t doubt theres probably better options out there.

Carlisle is a bit of an unknown. I’ll undoubtedly still make changes before Round 1.

View attachment 834567

Thoughts? not sold on bonar/brander yet but we will see
Brander is no certainty to play Round 1. He’s in the mix I wouldn’t think he’s set in stone just yet.

I’ve got Rankine starting and Brander as the utility, personally.

Current version of team leading up to this weekends final look at players/rookies.

DEF - Docherty, Houston, Cerra, Roberton, Gould, Ash (McLennan, Greaves)
MID- Macrae, Dunkley, Mitchell, Gaff, Coniglio, Rowell, Pickett, Anderson (Serong, Robertson)
RUCK - Grundy, NicNat (Naismith)
FWD - Whitfield, Wingard, Greenwood, J.Kennedy, Jones, Budarick (Sturt,King)
UTIL - Could be anyone up to $204k

Obviously very mid priced, especially the fwd and back lines (but who's team isn't this year?).

Going a bit unique with J.K in the forward line. Priced at 54 and has had two massively injury affected seasons. Looks fitter than he has for a long time and while not at the peak of his powers has shown an ability to average over 80 before.

22​
85.0​
22​
88.7​
17​
81.6​
11​
65.2​
20​
54.2​

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Here's an updated version of my team during the Marsh Madness. I'd love to know some thoughts and options, constructive criticism is always welcomed!

Defense:
1583447789610.png

I'm pretty set with my structures down back, I've got the three players over 500k, one player in the 500k-250k bracket and two on-field rookies under 250k. My current proven defender is Crisp, a player I'm very confident will remain a top six defender at the end of the season, he's accompanied by Houston and Doc who I also feel very safe selecting. Both of them are great value yet still safe selections. Dylan Roberton is the far more risky pick but at his price I certainly feels he value worth chasing. I'm absolutely stoked to see him named in the Saints line up for this weekend and will be watching him very closely, as long as he's named for round one he'll be in my side. Will Gould is pretty much set for D5, I'd really like to bring in Hayden Young to sit on the field next to him but I've finally taken him out of my side, I'll find a way to move Young back in there if he's named for round one but for now its Greaves' time to shine. He looked really good in Marsh One and with Hardwick missing a fair whack to the season you would think that opens up a place for Greaves to try and win.

Midfield:
1583449952899.png

The midfield is the position I'm without a doubt most comfortable with. Going into a season with Tom Mitchell as my M5 is a spectacular feeling! I feel the genuine uber premiums are very even this year, it’s a really hard task to try and predict a top eight. One man I know will be in the top two or three midfielders this year is Jackson Macrae, yes he costs an absolute packet but I don’t see that price changing very much throughout the year, why not pay it now and reap the benefits all year long! I’m happy to admit the selections of Oliver, Cripps and Neal could change throughout the next couple of weeks. I feel the three of them represent a nice value but still have room for continued development and are in younger sides that should also continue to improve. Rowell and Anderson apparently do everything together and have played at every level together, isn’t it only fair that the two of them also play in my Fantasy game together too?? In all seriousness they’ve both got fantastic job security and are very talented young players. I know it can be hard to become a high scorer in the Suns line up but as rookie options I feel they can average 65/70 plus, especially Rowell! I have Marlion Pickett rounding off my midfield, I don’t think he’s a 100% lock to start round one but as long as he’s named he’ll be on my field. We cannot expect performances like his grand final each week, his state league numbers were never massive, so I don’t think he’ll regularly pump out monster scores. However, I would also feel safe to see him average 65/70, cannot ask for a lot more than that from an M10.

Ruck:
1583453079448.png

Like many coaches I’ve really flirted with a few different options at R2, I’ve currently decided to go with a little bit of a POD in Scott Lycett. As much as I want to have Gawn in there the money I can save would really open things up and allows me to minimalism any mid prize mayhem. Without Paddy Ryder playing I really think Lycett can flourish, he has the potential to pump out some decent scores whilst hopefully making money. Even if Lycett doesn’t kick on and produces similar scores to last year the price jump between him and Gawn is achievable, unlike trying to jump from a Jacobs, Nic Nat or Naismith into Gawn.

Brodie Grundy is an absolute gun and really needs no explanation into why I’ve selected him. As for R3, I don't feel Darcy Cameron will play a lot of football this season despite looking very impressive on Sunday against the Tigers. One of the main reasons as to why I like Cameron at R3 is if Grundy ever misses a week Cameron will come into the side and that makes it easy to cope with Grundy going down for a short time without needing to trade him.

Forward/Utility:
1583461652760.png

Welcome to mid-priced madness, the position I'm feeling the least amount of confidence with, my forward line. Lachie Whitfield is the only genuine lock, he certainly won’t be going anywhere. As per usual the forwadline is such a tricky position this year so it feels good knowing there’s at least one genuine premo in there, I think he’s an absolute must have for everyone!

Jack Steven is the guy I’d really like to have at F2 but I’m going to wait and see how he goes in this weekend’s Marsh game before I attempt to find the money to bring him in.

The three genuine mid-pricers I have up forward are Hugh Greenwood, Andrew Brayshaw and Jordan Dawson. I think Greenwood is destined to have a much larger role at the Suns and as a result I feel he can become one of the better Fantasy forwards this season which would significantly improve his value, I’d say he’s currently the safest section of the three. Brayshaw and Dawson I feel are a little more risky, two younger guys who also appear more likely to have a larger role for their respective clubs. With both of them now a few seasons into their careers I feel they have the potential to take the next step this season, this should help them improve their scoring potential. The deeper into the forwards we get the more concerned I am, I’m not really a fan of having two forward rookies on the field but with my lack of faith in the mid pricers, I feel the two of them onfield is best for the general structures of my side. Rankine and Brander have appealed to me the most at the moment.

As for the utility spot I’m keen on having a playing dual position player in that spot so I can use them in two different positions. I know I have Tyler Brown at the moment but I’m sure that will change to a DPP before round one!

Carlisle and Darling out, moved Martin to F1 and brought in Adams and Gould. Good moves?
Yep, looks a lot better.

As a general rule, avoid KPPs. Sometimes they can go nuts, like Cameron in R23 and Buddy and N Riewoldt have in the past, but they're fairly inconsistent. A few people took the punt on Darling last year and got burnt badly.

Yep, looks a lot better.

As a general rule, avoid KPPs. Sometimes they can go nuts, like Cameron in R23 and Buddy and N Riewoldt have in the past, but they're fairly inconsistent. A few people took the punt on Darling last year and got burnt badly.
Yeah I was one who took a punt on him, towards the back end of the season he won me a few games but his start to the year was disappointing.

Here's an updated version of my team during the Marsh Madness. I'd love to know some thoughts and options, constructive criticism is always welcomed!

Defense:
View attachment 834467

I'm pretty set with my structures down back, I've got the three players over 500k, one player in the 500k-250k bracket and two on-field rookies under 250k. My current proven defender is Crisp, a player I'm very confident will remain a top six defender at the end of the season, he's accompanied by Houston and Doc who I also feel very safe selecting. Both of them are great value yet still safe selections. Dylan Roberton is the far more risky pick but at his price I certainly feels he value worth chasing. I'm absolutely stoked to see him named in the Saints line up for this weekend and will be watching him very closely, as long as he's named for round one he'll be in my side. Will Gould is pretty much set for D5, I'd really like to bring in Hayden Young to sit on the field next to him but I've finally taken him out of my side, I'll find a way to move Young back in there if he's named for round one but for now its Greaves' time to shine. He looked really good in Marsh One and with Hardwick missing a fair whack to the season you would think that opens up a place for Greaves to try and win.

Midfield:
View attachment 834487

The midfield is the position I'm without a doubt most comfortable with. Going into a season with Tom Mitchell as my M5 is a spectacular feeling! I feel the genuine uber premiums are very even this year, it’s a really hard task to try and predict a top eight. One man I know will be in the top two or three midfielders this year is Jackson Macrae, yes he costs an absolute packet but I don’t see that price changing very much throughout the year, why not pay it now and reap the benefits all year long! I’m happy to admit the selections of Oliver, Cripps and Neal could change throughout the next couple of weeks. I feel the three of them represent a nice value but still have room for continued development and are in younger sides that should also continue to improve. Rowell and Anderson apparently do everything together and have played at every level together, isn’t it only fair that the two of them also play in my Fantasy game together too?? In all seriousness they’ve both got fantastic job security and are very talented young players. I know it can be hard to become a high scorer in the Suns line up but as rookie options I feel they can average 65/70 plus, especially Rowell! I have Marlion Pickett rounding off my midfield, I don’t think he’s a 100% lock to start round one but as long as he’s named he’ll be on my field. We cannot expect performances like his grand final each week, his state league numbers were never massive, so I don’t think he’ll regularly pump out monster scores. However, I would also feel safe to see him average 65/70, cannot ask for a lot more than that from an M10.

Ruck:
View attachment 834510

Like many coaches I’ve really flirted with a few different options at R2, I’ve currently decided to go with a little bit of a POD in Scott Lycett. As much as I want to have Gawn in there the money I can save would really open things up and allows me to minimalism any mid prize mayhem. Without Paddy Ryder playing I really think Lycett can flourish, he has the potential to pump out some decent scores whilst hopefully making money. Even if Lycett doesn’t kick on and produces similar scores to last year the price jump between him and Gawn is achievable, unlike trying to jump from a Jacobs, Nic Nat or Naismith into Gawn.

Brodie Grundy is an absolute gun and really needs no explanation into why I’ve selected him. As for R3, I don't feel Darcy Cameron will play a lot of football this season despite looking very impressive on Sunday against the Tigers. One of the main reasons as to why I like Cameron at R3 is if Grundy ever misses a week Cameron will come into the side and that makes it easy to cope with Grundy going down for a short time without needing to trade him.

Forward/Utility:
View attachment 834561

Welcome to mid-priced madness, the position I'm feeling the least amount of confidence with, my forward line. Lachie Whitfield is the only genuine lock, he certainly won’t be going anywhere. As per usual the forwadline is such a tricky position this year so it feels good knowing there’s at least one genuine premo in there, I think he’s an absolute must have for everyone!

Jack Steven is the guy I’d really like to have at F2 but I’m going to wait and see how he goes in this weekend’s Marsh game before I attempt to find the money to bring him in.

The three genuine mid-pricers I have up forward are Hugh Greenwood, Andrew Brayshaw and Jordan Dawson. I think Greenwood is destined to have a much larger role at the Suns and as a result I feel he can become one of the better Fantasy forwards this season which would significantly improve his value, I’d say he’s currently the safest section of the three. Brayshaw and Dawson I feel are a little more risky, two younger guys who also appear more likely to have a larger role for their respective clubs. With both of them now a few seasons into their careers I feel they have the potential to take the next step this season, this should help them improve their scoring potential. The deeper into the forwards we get the more concerned I am, I’m not really a fan of having two forward rookies on the field but with my lack of faith in the mid pricers, I feel the two of them onfield is best for the general structures of my side. Rankine and Brander have appealed to me the most at the moment.

As for the utility spot I’m keen on having a playing dual position player in that spot so I can use them in two different positions. I know I have Tyler Brown at the moment but I’m sure that will change to a DPP before round one!
I like it. And I like the breakdown and reasoning you given. Safe midfield premiums by the looks of it. Lots of durability there.

Major problem I see is the forward line. Strong chance Rankine doesn't get up for round 1 which means you'll be fielding King/Budarick - Budarick I assume is the better option but even then he is no certainty for GC's round 1 side either. Just food for thought. Brander should play but there's a small chance he misses too. Maybe have a contingency plan in place in case those two aren't named

Have posted my team prior to each week of marsh so that I have something to reflect on and also receive some feedback.

M6 has been Joel Selwood most of pre season, but have decided to change it to Hugh Greenwood who could potentially be a forward keeper and is also cheaper. I like him there for DPP reasons in case I need to trade out one of my forwards which allows me to swap them for a mid.

I am pretty set on my side bar rookies and this weekend's marsh hyped players who will no doubt find their way into my side.

I have a couple decisions left to make on my side and hopefully this weekend's games will help me with them. My decisions are;
D1: Sicily vs Brodie Smith
M3 and M4: Hopper vs Walsh vs Mcluggage vs Brayshaw vs Will Brodie

Hopefully the weekend's games will clear things up for me.

pre marsh week 3.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back