Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Peoples you don't need to justify Essendon's draft choices to me,
if you're happy with the choices that's all that matters :thumbsupv1:

Personally I would have taken a mid at Perkins pick but that's just me..
Cox and Reid are great choices, along with your NGA's that you were committed to.

You have been asked this in numerous threads but who is this supposed hulking inside clearance machine we should have taken?

You’re very quick to dig the heels In but give no alternative to our choices. Then when called out about it pretend like you’re happy for us.

So give us a name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Despite how awful Carlton were in previous years they never had the player exodus that Brisbane had, Gold Coast had or GWS has, and GWS are not even awful on the field and yet they lose quality players every single year.

It also works the other way in teams like Carlton's favour too. Despite being awful, Carlton has still attracted a lot of players leaving those clubs to come home to Victoria.

Pretty sure we said see ya later Hanners and membrey wanted more opportunities , Mitchell was offered peanuts and didn't get along with Longmire

He said factor, the definition being something that contributes to a result.

There might've been other factors at play but the Hawthorn recruiting boss said one of the reasons they targeted Mitchell was the go-home factor. In subsequent interviews Mitchell said it was great to be close to family, Hannebery said the same thing. Membrey was starved of opportunity, but also had a girlfriend in Victoria. Papley the same.

Didn’t you get two academy talls, plus Wright, plus Jones last year? I think the question of why you took those two extra talls in addition to those guys is warranted.

Wright was a bargain, Jones sounds more Jack Gunston than Jack Riewoldt. Brand was rated a top 25 chance at the start of the year we got for a discounted price whilst Eyre came from no where and filled a position of need.

Fwiw, Wasn’t one of Cox or Reid a genuine tall utility? Hardly multiple kpp’s.

Wright was a bargain, Jones sounds more Jack Gunston than Jack Riewoldt. Brand was rated a top 25 chance at the start of the year we got for a discounted price whilst Eyre came from no where and filled a position of need.

Fwiw, Wasn’t one of Cox or Reid a genuine tall utility? Hardly multiple kpp’s.

Why do you need him to be Reiwoldt instead of Gunston? Gunston has been one of the most consistent tall forwards of the last decade, and he’s still doing it without the aid of Roughead etc. If Jones becomes a Gunston clone you should be thrilled, he’ll compliment Wright beautifully.
Cox was listed as a utility, but sees himself as a key defender.

Why do you need him to be Reiwoldt instead of Gunston? Gunston has been one of the most consistent tall forwards of the last decade, and he’s still doing it without the aid of Roughead etc. If Jones becomes a Gunston clone you should be thrilled, he’ll compliment Wright beautifully.
Cox was listed as a utility, but sees himself as a key defender.

We want top end key position players. Way to completely miss the point

then shouldn’t the WA and SA clubs also have academy?

Well no as there are far more draftable prospects coming out of those states compared to NSW or QLD.

Unfortunately without the academies their are less quality AFL pathways for juniors, players are also less inclined to stay in the states due to less sponsorship opportunities and the fact that 95% of your list would have a go home factor.

How often do Sydney lose players to go home factor? I can’t think of anyone of note in recent history.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lewis Jetta, Dan Hannebery and Zak Jones. That is 2 premiership players and another who played in 2 grannies.

And if Dodo wasn't such a dodo, Papley would have been on that list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you really.?

Well actually you didnt.

Look until the muppets at AFL House change the rules again no one will get 1st or 2nd round talent cheap anymore.

Lucky for the Swans and others they cashed in whilst they could. Too bad for all the other sides who missed out.

McInness to the Pies because his mum was Phillipino was a dead set joke.

Same with the half Chinese kid and Hawthorn. Kids born is Australia with Australian fathers WTF?

Just a amature set up to provide loop holes for clubs to exploit.
Well james borlase just happened to be born in egypt when his dad had a work placement there and he was part of the crows nga academy and they took him as a cat b rookie.

James borlase's father is none other that triple port magpies premiership player and captain darryl ( daisy) borlase. Darryl missed out of the 200 game window for father son by a few games..much the same as ross gibbs did at glenelg that prevented bryce gibbs being the firsr crows father son pick all those years ago

You have been asked this in numerous threads but who is this supposed hulking inside clearance machine we should have taken?

You’re very quick to dig the heels In but give no alternative to our choices. Then when called out about it pretend like you’re happy for us.

So give us a name

Pedlar?

183cm, much like Jye Caldwell, Darcy Parish, Dylan Shiel.

No thanks

Next

Lewis Jetta, Dan Hannebery and Zak Jones. That is 2 premiership players and another who played in 2 grannies.

Are you seriously running with Hannebery?

He was on one of the worst contracts in the AFL and was being shopped around by Sydney.

It’s akin to saying Nankervis and Membrey is in that list also.

If you don’t play footballers and give them no opportunity they tend to leave any football club.

I don’t think Sydney really “tried” to keep any of them. The only player you dug your heels in over was Papley, which is pretty ordinary in hindsight given how ill his father is.

In recent times, off the top of my head...

Zac Jones
Dan Hannebery
Tom Mitchell
Tim Membrey
Nic Newman
Lewis Jetta

None of them were for retention reasons apart from maybe Jetta.

Jones - better contract
Hannerbey - better contract (you basically pushed out the door)
Mitchell - opportunity & contract
Membrey - opportunity
Newman- I don’t think you kicked up much of a fuss.

Your salary cap issues is a major factor in players leaving from the Franklin deal. You can’t blame player retention when you have cooked your books.

Last edited:

Hannebery you pushed out the door and got offered far more money to leave.

Jones got offered a far better contract

Papley was for personal reasons. It could have easily have happened to a Victorian clubs.

Other than personal reasons and Sydney cooking the books you haven’t lost much.

No thanks

Next

Parish? Hulking inside mid? Lol.

Pedlar reminds me of Beau Waters.

Essendon got in three players who were ranked in the top 10 by recruiters and the experts. Not one player ranked in the 20s....three in the top 10. Your mummy will explain to you like one, two, three....three kids who were ranked in the top 10.

You really might be onto something huge there.

If everybody does it your way nobody even has to think about it at all. We can say "Essendon walked out of the draft with three top ten draftees. It is therefore obvious that they drafted better than anyone else."

We can even come to that conclusion before the draft actually happens. Makes things so much simpler.

No thanks

Next

Sorry i thought you wanted a top end inside contested mid ..i must have read your comment wrong

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “Perhaps the biggest ‘bull’ in this draft, Pedlar is as hard as they come. His power and scoreboard impact separate him from other strong bodied midfielders in the 2020 cohort.” – Ed Pascoe

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back