Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I get the feeling our board would have been ranked something like this...

JHU, Campbell, McDonald, DGB, Phillips

Take out the NGA and we would have taken Campbell as he addresses one of our key issues (elite disposal out of the midfield).

We literally couldn't go wrong with every other selection because every that was going to potentially be left available to us suited a need. Won't be much separating this top 5 in a decades time I wouldn't have thought either.

I'm actually more confident with selecting Denver over McDonald anyway. I was nervous when the rumours started flying that Logan would slip to us. Key forwards have high bust potential and whilst he could be an absolute superstar I can't help but think back to Schache, Mccartin etc.
I rated Denver as the most reliable selection of the fab 5 along with Phillips. Stoked we ended up with the Shaggy.

I agree with that. DGB is definitely the safer bet all things considered. It is more risky with key forwards, but I think the general idea is you can in theory find a very good defender late in the draft, whereas it is very rare to find a great forward late in the draft. So with key forwards drafting them is a higher risk, but higher potential reward as well.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Still can't believe we got Trew, let alone as a rookie pick!!

Is he the guy that told everyone in his interviews, pick me or don't, whatever, stick your questions? Ha ha that's a great dodge.

I still can't get over North skipping McDonald.

Alright genius, if I asked you pre-draft who you were going to take with your second pick, and gave you an opportunity to name 20 names, do you think you'd honestly name him? I don't think too many on BigFooty would.

Yes, he would have because it was rumoured on the Adelaide board that Pedlar was going to be taken early. And i mean rumoured by longstanding posters with ties.

For instance, when I started the placeholder thread, I used "Welcome Pick 9 = The Predator", because Predator and Pedlar were as similar words as I could think of that would be cool. Note also my avatar.

Also, I saw the information from the source, i.e., first-hand evidence, not "I know a guy who knows a guy". We were even asked to remove references to him from the forum. Something about GWS and Freo were grabbing him with their next picks.

As for Pedlar himself, he's 183/80. He was playing senior footy at 15 in the country. In the opening game of the SANFL U18 season, he got 28 disposals, 15 contested possessions, six tackles, six inside 50s and a goal against eventual premiers Norwood. He will be a star.

Finally, Mutineer has probably forgotten more about this year's draftees that you've ever known. You should refer to him as Mr Genius.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
We have had a grand total of 3 top draft pick players from the academy since it was first setup.

Four actually. Which is four more than some clubs.

Well from next year that stops. Some clubs have yet the land a discounted nga kid and now never will.

I must say I was happy to watch clubs pick up locals aand leave moee of the WA talent to the WA teams. So that is a plus.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I think we were losers. Not that I don't rate like the players that came in, just that for the umpteenth time the players we need haven't been available when we have a draft good hand. I don't like spending top ten picks on defenders and we did it twice. The value for us was futures trading and we failed to do that.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory

Well from next year that stops. Some clubs have yet the land a discounted nga kid and now never will.

I must say I was happy to watch clubs pick up locals aand leave moee of the WA talent to the WA teams. So that is a plus.

They really should change the model so some teams don't get screwed. Every team that hasn't received a first round NGA player gets one to use when they wish. Not really that hard to manage.

Apr 29, 2008
Epping
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure you can actually read, the post you quote said why I thought it was weird.

2 x highly rated KPP, 2 x raw KPP and a medium forward, that needs his Mummy.

Totally overlooked the need for midfielders. Because Dodoro's has lost his nerve, now has an ineptitude to actually draft any quality midfielders...
Only quality mids he has drafted, have been Merrett and before that Jobe Watson, who fell in his lap as a Father Son...

Yes I rated Carlton higher, but in the middle tier. Our first pick was at 37 and picked the best small pressure forward that we have been crying out for.
Also at pick 41 we picked a huge slider, that many rated in their top 15 players.

Think recruiters will keep their nuts, clubs were actually trading out of the first round as they weren't interested in these players.

Adelaide got the same mark as you, they lost their nerve, overreached on players and only drafted SA players.
Collingwood, Sydney and North all got the highest marks from me.

No i'd say only Collingwood, Sydney, GWS and North walk away the winners... Essendon walk away the WIENERS..

I'm happy for you to reply in crayon, if it's easier for you...

Ok...this is what this thread is all about. We are not doing list management strategy ranking of who got what their team needed in terms of positions.

Like I said before...We are just simply looking at who got the best talent into the club.

You don't get sympathy points for coming into the draft in the late 30s and getting a kid ranked in the 20s.

Essendon got in three players who were ranked in the top 10 by recruiters and the experts. Not one player ranked in the 20s....three in the top 10. Your mummy will explain to you like one, two, three....three kids who were ranked in the top 10.

Now Victorian kids didn't play this year. The achievements of Cox, Perkins and Reid is based on what they did as a 17 year olds and their potential. You put that growth factor into consideration, they could have been top 6 ranked in this draft.

The two academy kids are also in the same situation and both were bidded on regardless and would have gone much higher in the open draft.

I think giving Carlton D + is too much when I think about it. D minus would be more suitable.

Perkins is going to be a gun mid and we got Caldwell. One more mid would have been good, but no one is in a hurry to do everything in one draft.

To actually know who won, we need to look at this in 10 years but this thread is purely based on talent into the club.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
and how many All Australians in that group?

Lol is that your gauge for rating players under 25, that haven’t reached their peak?

Heeney is close to your best player and will be in time.

Mills is getting better and better each year. He is consistent, reliable and would be in your top handful of players.

Blakey is only 2 years in, but looks an incredible talent. I don’t even want to get started on the rort that you had access to a F/S.

Campbell was obviously just drafted and is highly rated. He is rated as the top 1-2 genuine mids in this draft.

Good on you guys for having access to such high quality talent, but let’s not pretend it isn’t a massive advantage.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Lore I wouldn’t be banking on first round compensation next year. After the cluster of this year, I expect the league to change their rules to not implicate the draft as heavily.
This is spot on.

I can't imagine there's anyone left at AFL house who still thinks this system is working.

Furthermore, It's embarrassing the lack of clarity as to why they are winding back NGAs but keeping F/S and Northern Academys. We all have our suspicions, but I just wish they'd come out and say it.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Draft Day with Clarko

"Holy sh*t fella's we could get Logan here"
"Swannies will take that DGB bloke that noone can spell right...i guarantee it"
"Yesssssss, North took Phillips...we got Logan i reckon, we got him i tell you "
"Hurry up you insterstate flogs, take DGB, take DGB lalalalalalala take DGB...FFFAAAAARRRRRRQQQQ !!!!"
"$G$#%#$@#%#$# those pricks"
" Ok bid on Campbell, that'll pharkem up, do it fella's..." " i dont givashit just do it willya !!! "
*punches gyprock wall*
"i gotta stop doing that"
"hello...you still there fella's ?"
"who's left that can kick ? "
" ok ok yeah i've calmed down, so who's left that can kick ?"
"i dont care if he can punch the ball, can he farrkin kick it ?"

Not worth the effort mate.

You should be happy that you had Campbell coming through your Academy though. Take this to the bank, Clarko/Wright rated him the #2 talent in the draft (behind JUH), hence the bid.

Thankfully DGB was #3 for us with McDonald, Phillips, Cox and Perkins following.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I think we were losers. Not that I don't rate like the players that came in, just that for the umpteenth time the players we need haven't been available when we have a draft good hand. I don't like spending top ten picks on defenders and we did it twice. The value for us was futures trading and we failed to do that.

For what it's worth - Hawks rated Cox and Perkins at #6 and #7 respectively.

We tried to get GCS's pick off them it seems in order to take Cox, but obviously GCS weren't going to budge with Hollands falling to them.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Yes, and we used our first round draft picks to get these players generally, first round draft picks we would have used on other players had we not had access to Heeney, Mills and Blakey.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes, and we used our first round draft picks to get these players generally, first round draft picks we would have used on other players had we not had access to Heeney, Mills and Blakey.

Mills you used picks in the 30’s (pick 3)

Heeney you used pick 18. He was bid on at pick 2.

Blakey you gave up picks in the 30’s. (Pick 10)

Campbell was later picks also. (Pick 4)

The only first round pick you have given up is 18 for Heeney, which was an absolute steal, as he was rated second in the draft.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest

Interesting point here, I haven’t looked at the stats on the state of origin for this years draft, but my thoughts are that there should be a higher percentage than normal, from WA & SA ?.

These 2 states had prospective recruits playing in 2020, Victoria had zilch junior action.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

The only first round pick you have given up is 18 for Heeney, which was an absolute steal, as he was rated second in the draft.

You are forgetting that we traded out our first rounders for extra points in many instances. We still needed those first rounders for the points.

Is he the guy that told everyone in his interviews, pick me or don't, whatever, stick your questions? Ha ha that's a great dodge.

I still can't get over North skipping McDonald.
You're not alone, apparently we ruined the draft for everyone.

If Phillips could kick like Campbell or Hollands he would have been so far in front for pick 1 this year it isn't funny. As it is he will probably end up being among the best players of this draft for a decade at least, barring some unforseen calamity. McDonald seems okay but how many times did he get the best defender in the WAFL. As soon as DGB moved onto him when they played each other he started to struggle. Anyway I think we are moving away from our multiple KPF style of play too, as is the game. Multiple medium forward targets are a better option for us right now.

Just cos people in the media think its a thing doesn't mean it is. The media have been saying we are broke and financially screwed all year as well. We've needed more proper mids for yonks and we just got one that is probably as good as Rowell at winning the ball and getting momentum moving our way. All this hype about Logan is just that imo. Sure he is a good player but we didn't need him, we have another young KPF who may be significantly better if he ever gets on the park.

Plus we already have an L McDonald on the list. Two would be confusing.

Will Cox actually play as a defender though? He could end up as a winger and Reid a forward. I suppose broadly essendon felt they had to take the talls as best available with an eye on next year being a better draft for non talls.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

Did you really.?

Well actually you didnt.

Look until the muppets at AFL House change the rules again no one will get 1st or 2nd round talent cheap anymore.

Lucky for the Swans and others they cashed in whilst they could. Too bad for all the other sides who missed out.

McInness to the Pies because his mum was Phillipino was a dead set joke.

Same with the half Chinese kid and Hawthorn. Kids born is Australia with Australian fathers WTF?

Just a amature set up to provide loop holes for clubs to exploit.

Oct 2, 2002
* . . port lincoln
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Seattle SuperSonics
Did you really.?

Well actually you didnt.

Look until the muppets at AFL House change the rules again no one will get 1st or 2nd round talent cheap anymore.

Lucky for the Swans and others they cashed in whilst they could. Too bad for all the other sides who missed out.

McInness to the Pies because his mum was Phillipino was a dead set joke.

Same with the half Chinese kid and Hawthorn. Kids born is Australia with Australian fathers WTF?

Just a amature set up to provide loop holes for clubs to exploit.
i dont think it effects nsw and qld teams

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
You are forgetting that we traded out our first rounders for extra points in many instances. We still needed those first rounders for the points.

You traded your 1st to gain points advantage.

You also traded out, managed a bid then traded back in with help from the Eagles.

And this year you landed pick 3 with later rubbish plus landed McDondald.

Swans are miles ahead of many others.

Back