2020 Rookies (Less 270k)

Aug 15, 2011
I know a little about some of the kids and also best 22 likeliness due to being an all year footy buff

So i will give you my most likely to play round 1 and comment on a few others that might be close and get a nod due to an injury or two

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/eb41053f4ed260c4bc0dbb84302c0137 (Really rate this best 22) A few names skipped in being mentioned but best 22s are better than past years predictions (who miss plenty)

DEFENDERS - Weakest Line

McAsey 260k (Crows) A tall defender whos battling with Hartigan for a game. Expect an avg from 50-57. Year 1 Key Defenders Weitering avg 57, Naughton 52, Lukosius 52

H.Young 258k (Freo) Lock for best 22. He should be your D5 or D6 depending on rookie depth for round 1. I think he wins the rising star and plays 20+ games if injury free. His kicking is exactly what fremantle need. I dont expect his scoring to be crazy good. Probably around 60-65

T.Williamson 251k (Carl) Probably has too many ahead of him currently. But an injury down back may give him a go. Still think with all his injuries he doesnt play Round 1 as they build in VFL. Will be a nice downgrade target during year if he can break into 22.

W.Gould 220k (Syd) Played all last year in the SANFL against men and is ready built for AFL. Be interesting to see how Sydney line up. Whether they go Alllir and Rampe as the talls then Mills/Dawson as 3rd tall or pick Melican and play Allir/Rampe as a 3rd tall. I dont think he plays round 1 but hes a good chance

J.Brander 217k (WCE) Has a fair few ahead of him i feel. However is only an injury away from getting a game. Can score and hi extra seasons of maturity mean hes ready to go. Can play anywhere. Could the eagles pick him over a Hutchings or J.Cameron type and pick him ahead of guys like Nelson, Waterman, Cole? Hes in that 5/6 person group where only 2 spots are available.

T.Rivers 208k (Melb) Has a ready made body and can score. Has a nice junior career fantasy game. Is a big body and can play anywhere. Is competing with Hore, N.Jones and Hunt for a game who arent exactly great quality. Avg 110 in the WAFL colts

Starcevich 189k (Bris) Surprised to see there was room in the best 22 for him when Brisbane have only lost Hodge and gained CEY, Ah Chee and Birchall. Competing with the likes of Ah Chee, Birchall, Answerth, Christensen and Z.Bailey for a spot. Christensen and Birchall apparently has limited Pre seasons.

R.Thompson 170k (GC Suns) The only 170k defender i can see being named for round 1 and his scoring? Well he avg 31 in his last year of footy. For me its hard to see him making any worthwhile money that he should be picked. I feel youd be much better off paying up.

Special Mentions:
Lachlan Sholl (Adel) - Had a few years in the system
Jez Mclennan (Top 25 pick) 2nd year in system was pretty ready made in year 1 so year 2 id expect hes well built

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FORWARDS

Townsend 266k (Ess) Knowing Essendons side i cant see him playing and not in the middle but apparently its why theyve recruited him. Dont see him in the best 22 for round 1. Has plenty of competition with Laverde, Langford, Ham, D.Clarke, Guelfi, Snelling, Zaharakis types

Cockatoo 255k (Geel) Dangerfield gave him glowing praise for his preseason. I feel 3of Narkle, Atkins, Rohan, Cockatoo, Menegola, Miers play round 1 and think Cockatoo gets the nod. His best ever avg is 60 which i think he has the ability to improve on as i did at that time and that will depend on how many centre clearances he gets.

Flanders 250k (GC Suns) I see why people like him because he slipped a bit in the draft and got picked by GC so automatically think theres a spot for him. But i cant find it. Theres plenty of good players that arent in the linked best 22. He would have to edge out a Macpherson, Will Powell or Izak Rankine for a game and i think besides Macpherson they play roles better than he does ie wing and small forward in Rankine and Powells case. Needs injuries.

Kysiah Pickett 248k (Melb) Now i think he plays early whether thats round 1 or not ... unsure. Hes ready made and has the body to take AFL hits Melbourne went hard for him early because they felt he could be the small forward X factor player with tackling pressure they need. His scoring will be poor though expect 45-50 avg max i feel. Will rely on 4-5 tackles a game to get his 50.

Weightman 242k (WBD) Dogs lineup is too strong but again hes close to ready made as a small forward and has been picked to apply pressure early. Dogs dont have a typical small forward, he would have to surpass a Mclean, Lloyd or M.Wallis to get a game for round 1 which i cant see him doing.

Bergman 244k (Port) I have him in a battle with Motlop for the 22nd/23rd spot as the final forward/wing. Think he gets the nod. Scoring is a bit unknown as hes quite light weight. If he gets the wing time then hes a must pick from the start after we saw what Duursma did last year but hes much more an accumulator than an X factor damaging type like Bergman. I expect around a 55avg for Bergman.

Ned Cahill 170k (Ess) Now hes a slight chance especially if theyre wanting to go a bit smaller in the forward line and then it would be between him, Cutler and Snelling. With Zacka, Daniher all injured for round 1 it seems he could be a chance. Hes ready made i think i saw he weighs close to 80kg already as a 180cm half forward/small forward. Avg 18 disposals and 1.5 goals a game in the TAC. Wouldnt expect huge scores at Essendon but he does have work rate up the field. Still unlikely but just a name i wanted to mention.

Rankine 170k (GC Suns) - Will play round 1 it seems. Is a jet but i dont expect huge scores. I think he avgs around 55 which is enough with the lack if forwards

Max King 170k (Saints) - Again not expecting too much but an improved Stkilda should be a better side next year. His brother avg 39 in his last 14 games for GC. Id expect him to do maybe slightly better in a better side with one more year of body maturity. 42-48 avg prediction. I think JS will be pretty good

Lachlan Hoise 170k (North) - Ive seen him in a few best 22 on the North board which means he deserves a mention. However id have him just missing out. Is more an excitement machine who can hit the scoreboard but i thought the same of Fritsch in year 1 and he worked out well. Mature age and around the mix expect around that 55avg again.

S.Mcadam 170k (Adel) - Have seen him mentioned in a few crows best 22 teams but id expect if hes getting named then a Mchenry or C.Jones is missing. Wouldnt expect much in the scoring column. 50ish

Special Mention:
E.Taylor (Syd) Keep an eye out for him but he has to get past Sam Gray and L.Taylor. Played one game against men last year.
J.Riccardi (GWS) Mature aged. Is he replacing Patton.. i think so. Would have to get picked over Finlayson or Himmelberg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MIDFIELDERS

M.Rowell 270k
(GC Suns) - Will play early and will score okay. Is he the Sam Walsh of 2019...... NO WAY. GC rookies struggle to avg over 60. He will have the best chance to do so. The other thing to consider is we have an extra 200-400k salary space but he remains the same 270k price tag

N.Anderson 268k (GC Suns) - He will be borderline best 22 for round 1. He might just miss out unless a few injuries arrive. Ill be interested to see his scoring

L.Ash 264k (GWS) - When i saw a best 22 side for GWS that couldnt fit in A.Kennedy then i thought this guy didnt have much chance unless injury occurs. Will score quite nicely though i feel if hes named.

D.Stephens 262k (Syd) - Sydney are the team to look at for kids. I think they are looking to bring in a new phase of youth and with a couple of injuries Buddy, Heeney and Sinclair there will be spots open. I think hes a lock for round 1. Has SANFL experience behind him and challenges H.Young for the Rising Star. Scores well if he plays.

C.Serong 256k (Freo) - Wish he was named as a forward. I said to Fremantle mates he will play round 1 when they drafted him. He will be competing with Matera and Switkowski for a small forward spot. If theres space for 2 of them then hes a real chance. Apparently training very well over PS.

D.Robertson 228k (Bris) - We know he will score fairly well but will probably start his career on a forward flank. Is competing with CEY for the spot and may need a few injuries to get a game. Will be named an EMG aplenty.

J.Sharp 218k (GC Suns) - Also think hes a huge chance for round 1. Played against men the whole last year and to really good success. Will score pretty well on a wing. Competing with Will Powell for the spot.

M.Hibberd 197k (Ess) - He wont be in the round 1 side but will be an option as hes ready to go and could be the big body mid they need especially if theyre still lacking in there.

NED McHenry 170k (Adel) - One of him or McAdam will play round 1 i feel, has missed small parts of preseason but his natural huge tank wont hurt him with that. Tackling should get his scoring upto something respectable weekly.

Tyler Brown 170k (Coll) - Probably battling with his brother Callum for a spot round 1 and ive heard hes been impressive over PS. Doubt he will score that big but enough to warrant a spot on the bench if named at 170k. Pies have early injuries he could find a way in due to reshuffle.

Marlion Pickett 170k (Rich) - Grand Final Enough said. Picking him round 1 for our teams even named or not i feel.

Special Mentions:
RCD (Rich), Valente (Freo),
J.Mead (Port) - Competing with Bergman for a spot i feel
H.Schoenborg (Adel) - Could be the surprise packet is ready made. Might be preffered over say a Ned McHenry

Is Motlop simply out of the equation now at Port?
MotFlop has been underwhelming since he arrived except that 1 game. He is a fringe player and nothing more than that. Hope he improves but a lot of Port fans forget he is on the list.

Ash in defence should also be considered. GWS are a hard team to crack but they traded up for him because they needed someone like him. He is ready made and should get games this year.

T.Rivers 208k (Melb) Has a ready made body and can score. Has a nice junior career fantasy game. Is a big body and can play anywhere. Is competing with Hore, N.Jones and Hunt for a game who arent exactly great quality. Avg 110 in the WAFL colts
Rivers won't be competing with Jones or Hunt, as they've trained with the forwards all season.

Can Rivers break into a back 7 ? May, Lever, Oscar McDonald, Salem, Harmes (new role), Hibberd, Jetta, and Joel Smith (back to defence) are all ahead of him, or play different roles. Probably Hore too.

I see Rivers at Casey for most of the year.

Rivers won't be competing with Jones or Hunt, as they've trained with the forwards all season.

Can Rivers break into a back 7 ? May, Lever, Oscar McDonald, Salem, Harmes (new role), Hibberd, Jetta, and Joel Smith (back to defence) are all ahead of him, or play different roles. Probably Hore too.

What’s this on Harmes having a new role? Who takes his spot in the middle? And does this mean much less chance of him running with players or tagging - although not sure he did a great deal of that last year

Harmes has trained every session in defence, but I'm sure he'll have the odd run in the midfield.

Gawn, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw or Petracca will attend most centre bounces, with Langdon, vandenBerg and Tomlinson through the wings.

Harmes has trained every session in defence, but I'm sure he'll have the odd run in the midfield.

Gawn, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw or Petracca will attend most centre bounces, with Langdon, vandenBerg and Tomlinson through the wings.
Few more questions sorry. The blokes bolded.

Trac a sneaky pod as a forward this year?

How is VB’s preseason going. Seems a half decent price but has the durability of a non-waterproof bandaid

Few more questions sorry. The blokes bolded.

Trac a sneaky pod as a forward this year?

How is VB’s preseason going. Seems a half decent price but has the durability of a non-waterproof bandaid
Melbourne fans, players and coaches love vandenBerg. His aggression/tackling is off the charts. This is his first preseason EVER. He's definitely best 22 even though you won't see him picked in media sides. Agree on durability.

That said, he's never got much of the footy at AFL level. Although, he did get 50+ disposals in the NEAFL once. His best spot is on the wing, so he could be a roll of the dice option. Maybe Freo's Brett Bewley is a better choice.

As for the perennially disappointing Petracca (from a DT point of view) ? He's tempted me in the past, but I've never chosen him. But I'm hoping to this year !!!

He's midfield fit and I reckon will be a very good POD in 2020. I reckon this year will be the making of him. I just have a feeling, which I haven't before, that he'll take the competition by storm this year. But it will still be a risk, as he's prone to disappearing for a quarter and a half.

Melbourne fans, players and coaches love vandenBerg. His aggression/tackling is off the charts. This is his first preseason EVER. He's definitely best 22 even though you won't see him picked in media sides. Agree on durability.

That said, he's never got much of the footy at AFL level. Although, he did get 50+ disposals in the NEAFL once. His best spot is on the wing, so he could be a roll of the dice option. Maybe Freo's Brett Bewley is a better choice.

As for the perennially disappointing Petracca (from a DT point of view) ? He's tempted me in the past, but I've never chosen him. But I'm hoping to this year !!!

He's midfield fit and I reckon will be a very good POD in 2020. I reckon this year will be the making of him. I just have a feeling, which I haven't before, that he'll take the competition by storm this year. But it will still be a risk, as he's prone to disappearing for a quarter and a half.
Thanks mate. Good insight. Appreciate it

Wouldn't surprise me to see Rivers on a forward flank when he plays early in his career

Has been the usual pessimism about having enough rookies for rd1, here is the list from Rd1 last year. Pretty sure 2018 was similar

View attachment 815407

I guess there are always enough guys named round 1 to fill the 17 rookie spots people require. Theres a few changes this year that i see but maybe future evidence ie round 1 teams will prove me wrong

Not many teams if any went on the mature age drafting this year. Geelong clearly picked up a few to fill specific roles.

Was there any mature age pickups for Gold Coast like how they could supplement their list with guys like Collins and Burgess mentioned above?

Also we need to find an extra strong rookie pick this year with the new 'Utility' position

How many of the 34 under 270k rookie price actually continue on to being successful rookie picks. Just because their named like maybe a Nathan Brown (Stk), Rory Thompson (GC) will likely be. What do they score and how much coin do they make?

I still think there will be a good number. Id be surprised if theres 34 or more under the 270k range picked for round 1.

Time will tell.

Has been the usual pessimism about having enough rookies for rd1, here is the list from Rd1 last year. Pretty sure 2018 was similar

View attachment 815407

I think it's fair to say though, that you take the majority of rooks who scored 50 or under (with the exception of Gibbons, Wilkie, Miers, Atkins, Hore and Smith) and then tally up the aforementioned with the rest, and you get a more accurate summation of who is likely to a) play more than a handful of games, and b) likely to score well if they do.

I definitely agree with the premise though, that there will always be rookies. I've made an exception this year at 318K (Chayce Jones' price) as I think he's still cheap for what he'll deliver this season - but every other player listed is a genuine -270 rook.

With that said, this is who I think is a chance to debut/play Round 1, and who has already featured in my side in one of my 264823493439 iterations that I haven't posted (in no particular order):

Starcevich
H. Young
Rowell
Anderson
Ash
Jones
Cockatoo
Kreuger
Mcguinness
McAsey
D. Stephens
Gould
Hosie
Cahill
Colier-Dawkins
McHenry
Sturt
M. King
Bianco
Rantall
D. Robertson
De Koning
Rankine
M. Pickett
K. Pickett
Weightman
Mead
T. Rivers
C. Stephens
McLennan
Bytel
Brander

One or two there from each side, which is about standard for the start of the season. There'll be guys we've never even heard of who'll pop up as always (Miers playing all 25 games last season was a surprise to even me), and there'll be guys from that list that don't even take the field at all this year. I'm never stressed about rookies, as there's always clubs who are on the rebuild - Adelaide, Sydney, Gold Coast, Fremantle etc. who are looking to 'blood' youngsters under new coaches (barring Horse of course, who'll probably die as coach of the Swans :tearsofjoy:). All just part of the fantasy pre-season fun!

Done the midfield. Any others feel free to mention.

Ive got 30 players in Bold under 270k that could play round 1. A few special mentions of players that could surprise especially with an injury.

Done the midfield. Any others feel free to mention.

Ive got 30 players in Bold under 270k that could play round 1. A few special mentions of players that could surprise especially with an injury.
Will Powell now to miss beginning of the season. Brings Sharp into calculations!

From the Pies board:
Tyler Brown - massive chance to play round 1 all depends on Seir and Wills which he will be competing with, Tyler was pushing for a spot late last year and highly rated inside mid.

Nathan Murphy - The golden boy of the Pies board but the kid has talent nice height and beautiful user could slot into half back with Crisp/Maynard playing up the ground.

Trent Bianco - really good user but we have quite a good mix down back already would need injuries or an amazing preseason to get into that back 6 always a possibility we play him as a forward.

Jay Rantall - Won the time trial from Phillips who hasn't been beaten since being at the club, Bucks loves his hard runners and could always be played on a wing, big chance if he shines in the praccy matches.

They are really the main chances with only Tyler and Murphy being realistic chances at this stage.

Jay Rantall - Won the time trial from Phillips who hasn't been beaten since being at the club, Bucks loves his hard runners and could always be played on a wing, big chance if he shines in the praccy matches.
Pretty impressive from Rantall and Maginness to beat out Phillips and Smith in their respective time trials! Phillips and Smith are both elite runners.

Its impressive but young kids with lighter frames can be really elite runners when it's a pure time trial. Don't think it adds up tooooo much when getting a game. Obviously helps in that they can probably cover the distances required of an AFL footballer whereas some can't. But you need alot more than just a 2km time trial.

Having said that seeing alot of rookies pop into a chance now with injuries

Mahoney (North) getting huge wraps

Sam Sturt(Freo) 170k comes into contention now injuries and illness to Hamling and Hogan

Powell, Ballard and Miles all out of round 1 action it seems due to injury have put Anderson, Flanders and Sharp right into contention and maybe more than 1 for round 1

Trent Rivers continues to impress and with the loss of Frost there is probably some room there

Mead and Bergman hopes can only benefit with Wines out injured

I think with rooks staying under 270k ie not getting a price rise helps considering there's an extra 200k to pay up for more expensive rooks

Jarrod Brander?
Brander is going really well. He had a bit of a hamstring setback a couple of weeks ago. He just turned 21. He is six foot five, great tank, work ethic and he has set himself up for a good year. Whether we play him midfield or forward would be the two areas we will look at. He could be a really good wingman. He fits the profile we are looking for. Chris Masten is going to be a loss because he was very selfless for us. One of his strengths was his running patterns and the way he helped our team. He was maligned sometimes but he was very important to our system. We need to look at who is going to replace that and that might be a Brander. In the course of the Marsh series we would say he will have a stint there.
- Simmo

Jarrod Brander?
Brander is going really well. He had a bit of a hamstring setback a couple of weeks ago. He just turned 21. He is six foot five, great tank, work ethic and he has set himself up for a good year. Whether we play him midfield or forward would be the two areas we will look at. He could be a really good wingman. He fits the profile we are looking for. Chris Masten is going to be a loss because he was very selfless for us. One of his strengths was his running patterns and the way he helped our team. He was maligned sometimes but he was very important to our system. We need to look at who is going to replace that and that might be a Brander. In the course of the Marsh series we would say he will have a stint there.
- Simmo
Got him as my Utility at the moment. Potentially a fantasy friendly role.

Jarrod Brander?
- Simmo
Very much like Brandon Ellis at the Tigs, would love to see Balta take on the wing possie.

Brander's been in my side since Gaff talked him up.