Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2009
On a boat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Southampton F.C., eAFL SUNS
Banner.png

As the Tiges return to their Gold Coast hub to prepare to travel to Brisbane to take on out-of-towners, the Gold Coast SUNS, I thought it would be a good time for me to share with you all that I know about our opponents.

As unsurprisingly few of you will know, I took on the role of coach for the SUNS in a fantasy sim-based football competition played earlier in the season on the BigFooty main board. Of course, NaturalDisaster and Sterge were coaching the Tiges at various points, so that didn’t end so well.

From my time interacting with the SUNS board and coaching this young bunch of stallions, I learnt a thing or two that might be useful in our oppo analysis…
  • The technically correct way of referring to our opponents in writing is ‘SUNS’ rather than Suns, sUNs, snus, sunS, SuNs, sUnS or any other combination of these
  • Touk Miller has a funny name but he likes to tackle
  • Jarrod Witts (Cockney slang I use for when things are giving me the shits) is a very solid ruckman
  • Ben King likes to kick lots of goals
  • Playing Izak Rankine out of the back pocket may not have seemed like such a good idea at the time, but in hindsight it was sheer coaching brilliance from me
Anyway, long story short I managed to coach this ragtag bunch of misfits (and Brandon Ellis) to an ePremiership. The SUNS board accordingly forged a life-long bond with me and I can take at least 70% of the credit for the real-life SUNS’ form turnaround this season. Still waiting for that Supercars money to start filtering in...

Formline.png

Since returning from the COVID break, the SUNS have managed to defeat the Eagles, Crows, Swans and Dockers. In addition, they have lost by under a goal to the Dogs and a red-hot Saints outfit.

Yes, they currently sit in 11th spot, and the teams they've beaten are no world-beaters themselves (save for the Eagles) but their percentage is in the positive (101%) and they are an exciting team to watch. It was a genuine shame to see Rowell go down so early in the season, as he was putting together some sort of debut season.

Hugh Greenwood is leading the competition in average tackles, while my boy Touk is also in the top 20. Greenwood is also in third spot overall for stoppage clearances, proving how important his big body has been for the SUNS. In defence, Sam Collins leads the league in average intercepts per game, which suggests that the ‘bombing it in long’ strategy we sometimes employ may need to avoid him.

As a team, they sit in 5th spot overall for average tackles (vs. 15th for Richmond).

///////////

In context of the players we’ve been missing (we know who they are), the Tigers have been acquitting themselves very nicely. While we all hoped for better on Saturday night, I don't think many would have been truly disappointed with our efforts against a rampaging Power at AO.

Coming off a short break and choosing to rest our Captain (along with our other outs), I thought our intensity was very good. For me, it highlights our strong team culture and togetherness which, fondling aside, has become much stronger since we hubbed up. Prior to the Power loss, we of course despatched the Dogs and the Bears with our trademark ruthlessness.

Shai Bolton and Dusty are second and third for average inside 50’s per game; Jayden Short leads all comers for metres gained.

Strangely enough, Richmond’s disposal efficiency is currently league-leading (averaging 73%). Also, bizarrely, we are last in the league for tackles inside 50, which is something we built our game around just 2-3 seasons ago (for those playing at home, the Saints now lead this stat). It's like this is 'opposites season' or something, although pleasingly we still suck at clearance stats, so that's a comfort.

We know that stats don’t really matter for our club though, but I just thought ‘huh, I wonder if anyone else would find this interesting’. *narrator: they didn’t*

WhatDo.png

I’ve faxed my SUNS coaching notes to Dimma and the boys (including big red underlines on the part where I tell him to write SUNS in all caps), so I reckon they’ve got what they need to scheme our way to victory.

Make no mistake – this isn’t the same SUNS team we have belted in the past few seasons – they’re playing a much freer brand of footy. However, they will be playing off a 4-day break, while we’ll have had 8 days to recover.

We’d be expecting to see a post-quarantine Bach return (Egg is the obvious one to make way), while we would also expect to regain the services of Cotch (perhaps for Ross). I’m not sure if the Nank will be ready, but it’d probably be Soldo to make way if he does return. Astbury may also be ready to return, although it seems unlikely.

My tip? The Tiges to salute by 4 goals.

Although the SUNS are… Dew… to beat us at some point.

GCSuns LATEST.png

Last edited:

Don't want to state the obvious but we really need to bank a win here, other results not going our way

I've been tipping only results I don't want the last three weeks (other than Richmond wins). My tipping has never looked better.

Houli and Cotchin for Derek and one of the smalls. Move Stack into the forward line and give Cotch the full balance of midfield minutes.

I should say I actually liked a lot of Stack's contest work in the last two weeks. Strong quick hands and pretty good decision making. It's definitely the case this year that young players need multiple weeks to adjust to the speed of the game. Saw it with Stack and with Ross for sure. Both building nicely. No VFL is hurting the ability of young players to impact in their first week at AFL level.

Houli and Cotchin for Derek and one of the smalls. Move Stack into the forward line and give Cotch the full balance of midfield minutes.

I should say I actually liked a lot of Stack's contest work in the last two weeks. Strong quick hands and pretty good decision making. It's definitely the case this year that young players need multiple weeks to adjust to the speed of the game. Saw it with Stack and with Ross for sure. Both building nicely. No VFL is hurting the ability of young players to impact in their first week at AFL level.
I'm seeing a lot of similarities between stack in the midfield and pickett, in that they do some really special things that make be think that if they can finish off some of their plays and make them more consistently they could be a real weapon, given stack's youth I reckon his midfield minutes are worth persisting with, at least until our calvary comes back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm seeing a lot of similarities between stack in the midfield and pickett, in that they do some really special things that make be think that if they can finish off some of their plays and make them more consistently they could be a real weapon, given stack's youth I reckon his midfield minutes are worth persisting with, at least until our calvary comes back

Stack should watch Walters as he has a lot of similar attributes.

We should come out hard. Bring in Cotch, lots of time to plan + we get more rest. Should be able to nail this and move on. We're at that point of accellerating towards finals. We really need to step into this game. And should do so.

They’re playing pretty good footy and Rankine is some kind of freak.

huge danger game but coming off a loss and well rested you’d expect us to be up to the task.

I’m tipping Lynch to kick a bag vs his old mob

Time to recover from 2 X 4 Day breaks and the test against Port. Cotchin and Houli to add the experience and composure we sadly lacked in the last quarter VS Port. I'd also be bringing back Higgins as I don't know why he was dropped. Eggman, Castagna and Ross to make way. I would also like to see Balta on a wing if we are doing well, to see how he goes. Astbury will return shortly, and given we need his experience on Hawkins, Kennedy and Dixon come finals, I want Balta to stay in the side. Chol more time in the ruck. Lambert won't play 2 bad games in a row. I think Dimma read the riot act to a few players, so I expect a result after a rest.

Tigers by 24 points.

Time to recover from 2 X 4 Day breaks and the test against Port. Cotchin and Houli to add the experience and composure we sadly lacked in the last quarter VS Port. I'd also be bringing back Higgins as I don't know why he was dropped. Eggman, Castagna and Ross to make way. I would also like to see Balta on a wing if we are doing well, to see how he goes. Astbury will return shortly, and given we need his experience on Hawkins, Kennedy and Dixon come finals, I want Balta to stay in the side. Chol more time in the ruck. Lambert won't play 2 bad games in a row. I think Dimma read the riot act to a few players, so I expect a result after a rest.

Tigers by 24 points.
Balta will stay in defence along with Astbury with Grimes playing third tall I reckon.
Several other contenders have two genuine tall forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back