Game Day 2020 Round 7 Purple vs Blue and Yella

Remove this Banner Ad

Game went exactly as expected.

Eagles forward line exposed our lack of key defenders. JK especially bullied Cox all day.

Missed Fyfe and to a lesser extent Hogan. Even moreso when the blokes replacing them is someone like Banfield. A trier but nowhere near the best 22 of any top side going around.

But all in all Eagles are just a better footy team right now. So much more composure and smarter decisions than us. Not surprising given the gulf in experience.

Hey, can we get a reaction from someone at the game? How was the atmosphere? I know it was a loss but how was the crowd’s mood? This might have been the highest attended sport event in the world since March/April.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey, can we get a reaction from someone at the game? How was the atmosphere? I know it was a loss but how was the crowd’s mood? This might have been the highest attended sport event in the world since March/April.

When Freddy for his goal and we were up and about I thought the atmosphere was pretty good. Second half, not so much.

We were behind the goals near the Freo cheer squad - was surprised by how
many arrogant WCE supporters there were around us (they were really clueless outside the ground when it came to social distancing).
Loved being at the game, more than I thought I would - thought I was going to freeze to death though.
There were some exciting and promising moments against a team that thinks it could win the premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serong, Cerra - Mid and HF rotation

Blakely, Brayshaw - Mid and Wing rotation

Bewley - Wing and HF rotation

Banfield - scratchies

I don't think Banfield should be playing but rotating Brayshaw and Blakely on a wing wouldn't be a good idea. Neither have genuine speed or genuine penetration on their kick.

Of course there’s negatives, but negative comments need to be put in perspective or where we are at with our injuries & the quality of the opposition.

Put just Fyfe & Logue in that team & we are winning or losing by a goal.

Fyfe and Logue are positives but there are to many negatives in the team that cancel them out.

I’m not interested in excuses with this or that. Positives or negatives...broken record (apologies).

Strip the whole thing back. It’s a football, some grass and 22 guys and we just got crunched 10 times in a row (5 full years by the same team - our arch enemy).

I’m literally sick in the guts at watching the eagles chip chip chip the ball around especially across half back whilst they create overlap. Overlap is only created because “team defence or zoning”

I literally am demanding “man on man” accountability 1 on 1 every single player for the entire game -with zero excuses. I don’t care if Kennedy kicks 10. I would rather get beaten by 100 points this way and then we will learn quick smart which players are up for the fight. Name a freo defender that wins us one on ones...and I’m not talking about halving contests or rolling off to “help out” therefore allowing overlap the other way.

Anyway, no more excuses. JLO...please...next derby I want a freo jumper within touching distance of every eagle on the field for every second of every minute. Line in the sand and if we get smashed an 11th time...we will learn about a few players.

That first quarter and early part of the second was great to watch, we moved the ball well and we went in hard at the contest. Taberner monsters them early but just couldn't keep it going. Frederick is looking to be a diamond in the rough.

At the end of it, I really don't care about the derby tally, it's an irrelevant stat in the grand scheme of things and I'm sure our players will sleep just fine tonight. I just want good footy no matter who the team is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back