Game Day 2020 Round 7 Purple vs Blue and Yella

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Our forward problems can be solved when we figure out how to deliver the ball inside 50 better and when our forwards keep playing more games together, the more they play the better they'll work together. Our midfield needs to gain a bit of heart because we're gonna get slaughtered every single week in the clearances the way we're going. Our defence you can kind of excuse since 5 of our back 6 are out but still you'd expect some effort from them, they're just getting run ragged by the forwards.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think it's just a disconnect with the midfield, I feel like we have 6 individual forwards playing their own game. They don't seem to be working for each like the better teams do.
I'm figuring at the moment we're still in a chemistry building phase, both for the forwards and the team as a whole. Which of course also involves integrating a new game plan. It'll take the better part of a season you'd think. That's why continuity is so important

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Our forward problems can be solved when we figure out how to deliver the ball inside 50 better and when our forwards keep playing more games together, the more they play the better they'll work together. Our midfield needs to gain a bit of heart because we're gonna get slaughtered every single week in the clearances the way we're going. Our defence you can kind of excuse since 5 of our back 6 are out but still you'd expect some effort from them, they're just getting run ragged by the forwards.
It’s individuals fighting for their spots. Selfishness vs team unity.
West Coast prime example of team forward structure. 150+ games together, and look at the chemistry.
Tabs is playing how a forward should, but Hogan hasn’t played 20 games in 2 years. Lobb is a ruck often then foward and McCarthy hasn’t even played a game this year. It’s a band aid solution atm.

On Tabs’ decision making, it has been greatly improved this year tbh. His kicks around the field hasn’t been a problem.

Re-watched the game

- I've touched on it before but Cox's biggest problem by far is his strength in the marking contest, ie, he has none. He falls over or gets pushed off way, way to easily. If I'm Geelong, I'm getting it long to Hawkins as often as possible, will man-handle Cox, luckily, I think he is the last power forward we play this year so we might be able to make do the rest of the year. Think Cox would be a very very good 3rd tall defender
- Schultz was diabolical, Banfield useless (as hard as they both try, sorry fellas)
- Darcy got robbed of about 3 tackles to the stats sheet in the first quarter alone
- Darcy competed ok with Natanui but when Natanui wins a taps, he ******* wins a tap. Best tap/clearance ruckman in the league. Their midfield structure was also much better around the stoppage to win more of the halved contests, to be expected with about 100 more games experience and 4 years on average in there.
- I suppose its not fair to be harsh on Tabs but Jesus Christ his shanks and goal square * up just blew all momentum out the water.
- Need more people (ie Young, Ryan as a more floating back) with the ball in hand to have the confidence an ability to hit the inside kick off the half back line. We look so good when we take this option, and almost every time we take it, it pays off. I hope the guys are given more license to take it.
- Still trying to understand why AB was punted to the forward flank for the last quarter.
- Ryan was absolutely sensational, with our current injury list, he is far and away our most important player at the moment, if he goes down, we are ****ed.

Back